• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

94 jeep xj with d100 5.9-727 combo

Check out some modern cam grinds similar to a .484 purple shaft (Mopar cam). The .484 is what i have in my 440 and it's got some more grunt but behaves around town, easy driving setup. The downside is it is a 40 some year old design. They've gotten much better options that can give you more lift and keep the good driving manners. Look online at comp cams (or whomever) and plug in your info and it will give some recommendations, young can go from there.
I think I told you before Mob , But that really is a very good cam for a big block Mopar . I can understand why you like it so much . As far as "DeepJeep's" application , I think even something like a stock or just over stock cam that came in the early 340's would wake up that lil Jeep , big time . And he'd probably get killer fuel mileage to boot .

Don't forget DeepJeep . If your going to stab a bump stick in there then get yourself a timing chain and gears as well . I'd go with a double roller myself .

Not just any double roller but a true roller. A little more expensive but well worth it when it comes to chain life.

Not just any double roller but a true roller. A little more expensive but well worth it when it comes to chain life.

Previous owner swapped in a double roller when he rebuilt the motor(so he says) but I can tell all the freeze plugs have been replaced so that's a good sign. Ok guys check this out. Found a guy with a 1980 360 for sale. He said it spun a rod but the block and everything else is good. It has a edelbrock intake, mild cam, and he says it has cop car heads. For 200 bucks. Worth the buy??? What are the cop car heads? Is this a magnum or la series?

Screenshot_2016-03-22-10-01-22.png

It's the E58 engine, same as what was in the Lil red except the cam, but he might have gotten close withw whatever is in there. Not too bad a deal, but you'll be putting some money into it. Make an offer on it.

It's the E58 engine, same as what was in the Lil red except the cam, but he might have gotten close withw whatever is in there. Not too bad a deal, but you'll be putting some money into it. Make an offer on it.

I'm not going to rebuild the motor. I would just be using the heads, cam/lifters, and intake manifold for my motor. Are the "cop heads" even a good upgrade? I need a new intake manifold to run the demon I have. Cheapest I've found is assault racing for 200 bucks. So if I can use this motor I will be saving a nice chunk of change and fix my dead lifter/bad valve with these heads.

It a not a bad way to go to fix what you listed. The heads are fine. The E58 was made to withstand the abuse police cars get, so it'll hold up for your daily driver/fun toy. You could put a spacer on the intake, 1/2", and run the demon carb if you have hood clearance.

I'm not going to rebuild the motor. I would just be using the heads, cam/lifters, and intake manifold for my motor. Are the "cop heads" even a good upgrade? I need a new intake manifold to run the demon I have. Cheapest I've found is assault racing for 200 bucks. So if I can use this motor I will be saving a nice chunk of change and fix my dead lifter/bad valve with these heads.
You hit the nail on the head ! That's exactly what I would do . But first ask him what he means by cop car heads ? He should be able to tell you . Second , Ask him if he has the paper work on the cam . If he did it right , he also put in new lifters ( which you also need ) with the cam . If everything adds up , price per pound this has everything you could use on the motor you got . Heads , cam & lifters , intake , and a spare short block that you can build even better at a later date. It's a win , win , "if" everything he's saying adds up . :D

You hit the nail on the head ! That's exactly what I would do . But first ask him what he means by cop car heads ? He should be able to tell you . Second , Ask him if he has the paper work on the cam . If he did it right , he also put in new lifters ( which you also need ) with the cam . If everything adds up , price per pound this has everything you could use on the motor you got . Heads , cam & lifters , intake , and a spare short block that you can build even better at a later date. It's a win , win , "if" everything he's saying adds up . :D

Bingo! Lol that's what I wanna do. And I just got the "ok" from the boss to make the buy lol. He said he doesn't have any specs on the cam though

So when you get the motor , pull the cam and post the numbers on the end and we'll try and figure out what it is . :) Hopefully it'll be something you can work with .

Ok guys. Picked up the new motor.
Block casting is what looks like 4006830 and head casting numbers look to be 4027596. Taking the timing cover off to check the cam now

0326161110a.jpg

0326161125.jpg

The 596 head aren't a bad head . Does it look like any work has been done with them ? Also look at the front of the engine ( under where the head go's ) . Is there any letter's and numbers there ? On the other side of the block , there should be a date code casted on it .

I'll have to look again when I get back to the shop. Just caught a Orioles, Boston spring training game lol. I'm pretty sure it had a 77 stamped on the side undr the head. Maybe a 1 or 10 in front of it. Heads looked to be stock. Stamped rockers. Gonna try and the rest apart when I get back

Ok , so it's basically the same block you have .

All I can say is that cam doesn't look "new" to me . It's got a few miles on it . What's the bottom of the lifters look like ? Are they flat or do they have wear in the middle ? I can't quite make out the numbers on the end of it in the picture .

Lifters look good. Some wear on the bottom but it's minimal. They are nice and flat. Has a c-89 on the side of the lifter. The end of the cam reads: 150052CD
69-15-98
Has a 1136 in between the lobes

The best I can tell . It looks like a crane energizer . Here are the spec's
Grind Number: 272 H10
Operating Range: 1800-5200 RPM
Duration Advertised: 272° Intake / 272° Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' Lift: 216° Intake / 216° Exhaust
Valve Lift w/1.5 Rockers: .454'' Intake / .454'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle: 110°
Max Lift Angle: 105° ATDC Intake / 115° BTDC Exhaust
Open/Close @.050'' Cam Lift: Intake - 3° BTDC (opens) / 33° ABDC (closes)
Exhaust - 43° BBDC (opens) / (7°) BTDC (closes)

Back