• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

94 jeep xj with d100 5.9-727 combo

I loved my Holley I had on my Polara. 750 double pumper. Was on the 383 when I bought it and used it on the 40 and the first 440. I put in a .484 purple shaft cam and screwed it all up when I tried to tune it. I just didn't know what I was doing.

I've seen a few edelbrock carbs for sale used. Think I'm going to pick one up and get it rebuilt. If I'm already set up with electric choke I should probably get another carb with electric choke right? And if the carb doesn't have one can it be added easily? I'm pretty sure it has a factory Holley electric choke right now

I loved my Holley I had on my Polara. 750 double pumper. Was on the 383 when I bought it and used it on the 40 and the first 440. I put in a .484 purple shaft cam and screwed it all up when I tried to tune it. I just didn't know what I was doing.
I've run Holley's as well . The main issue I really ever found was sticking floats . Especially if the vehicle sits for a while . Hell I ran two 800's on the Charger I had . I used to have a friend that could build Holley's pretty much blind folded . Man , he was good with carb's ! That's a real good cam for a big block Mopar you picked out . :cool: I've used it on a few of our Mopars .

I've seen a few edelbrock carbs for sale used. Think I'm going to pick one up and get it rebuilt. If I'm already set up with electric choke I should probably get another carb with electric choke right? And if the carb doesn't have one can it be added easily? I'm pretty sure it has a factory Holley electric choke right now
What size are they and do you have a good rebuilder near you ?

What size are they and do you have a good rebuilder near you ?
Good rebuilder? If you can take the 8 or so screws out of the top, you can rebuild an edelbrock! I've worked on all my eddys that got opened up. I used to have to do it after I added Sta-bil to my gas before winter. Had weird green crap inside it. You know this already though.

This one is close to me. Has a cracked vacuum port. Should be an easy fix. Edelbrok 1406 600cfm elec choke. There are a few good speed shop by me that can rebuild and tune them for cheap. Because it's my daily I would rather just drop it off and pick it up and it be done. Can't take the chance of opening it up and finding out I need a certain gasket or something to finish it and possibly keep her down for longer then I can afford.

Screenshot_2016-02-29-09-11-55.png

Good rebuilder? If you can take the 8 or so screws out of the top, you can rebuild an edelbrock! I've worked on all my eddys that got opened up. I used to have to do it after I added Sta-bil to my gas before winter. Had weird green crap inside it. You know this already though.
Remember the first time you had to tear into a carburetor , any brand ?

Remember the first time you had to tear into a carburetor , any brand ?

This one is close to me. Has a cracked vacuum port. Should be an easy fix. Edelbrok 1406 600cfm elec choke. There are a few good speed shop by me that can rebuild and tune them for cheap. Because it's my daily I would rather just drop it off and pick it up and it be done. Can't take the chance of opening it up and finding out I need a certain gasket or something to finish it and possibly keep her down for longer then I can afford.
Sounds like a plan . I just didn't want you to end up spending almost as much for a rebuilt used one as it would a new one . Before you buy it though , I think you should talk to the speed shop about it and see if they can give you a ball park on what it's going to take to go thru it .

I will. It seemed like a decent price to me. Even if I have to get it rebuilt. If a shop is gonna charge me an arm and a leg I'll just do it myself. I read up on the 1406's and everyone says they are easy to rebuild. Edelbrock has a nice rebuild kit for 40 bucks on summit. The guy said it has been sitting for a year so I'm sure it needs to be rebuilt somewhat.

Here is the broken port. Is there a threaded nipple that screws into here? Think I could put it in and jb weld the crap out of it?

26600.jpeg

Here is the broken port. Is there a threaded nipple that screws into here? Think I could put it in and jb weld the crap out of it?
What they use ? ! An impact gun to put the plug in ? ! lol Yeah it supposed to be threaded . But I don't see enough there to try and save . You can try JB weld , but I wouldn't count on it . I hope that guy don't want much for it .

I have a buddy that is a very talented welder. I'm going to ask if he would be able to weld the plug on there. The guy only wants 50 bucks.

It's hard to tell . Is there any threads that go all the way around left at all in there ? If there is , then you might just have a shot of saving it .

I have a buddy that is a very talented welder. I'm going to ask if he would be able to weld the plug on there. The guy only wants 50 bucks.
If your buddy does it for free it's worth the $50. The seller must have dropped it and hit the nipple just right.

That's the rear port isn't it? I have my pcv valve connected to it. I suppose you could either weld/tap and get a new nipple. Or plug it weld it closed and use the front port.

Well, ended up not getting the carb. Gonna look around a bit more. Went to meet the guy and a cap popped off the fuel return line for the stock fuel system and she started pissing fuel lol had a buddy bring a new cap and clamp and got her back on the road

0301161922.jpg

Wow ! It look's like you dumped half your tank on the ground ! Good thing nothing caught on fire . Keep looking you'll find something . Did you think about checking to see what a rebuilt Eddy go's for ?

Back