• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

94 jeep xj with d100 5.9-727 combo

Onedeepjeep

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the forum. So I have recently purchased a new project. Previous owner swapped in a 5.9 2bbl with a 727 trans. Seems to run ok. Needs an intake manifold gasket but runs as is. Any useful info on these Motors would be great. I'm a jeeper so to find a xj with a v8 Was awesome. The swap Was done right. Custom driveshaft, trans, motor mounts. Just needs some tlc. Been sitting for a year. Any tips and tricks? If I'm going to replace the intake manifold gaskets I would like to swap the manifold for aftermarket 4bbl setup. And how do I find out what size ports I have lol? Thanks guys

0223161005.jpg

First off , Welcome to the site DeepJeep . That lil Jeep should move pretty darn good with that 360 in it ! Your right about swapping intakes since you have to change the gasket anyways . let me guess , It's leaking oil out of the rear of it , Right ? I'd go with a good duel plain and a small 4 bbl. personally . Maybe something between a 500cfm to a 650 CFM . Nothing bigger . Do you know what year the block is ?

Thanks. Yeah she moves pretty good. Still working the old gas out. And I need to check timing. No oil is leaking that I can see. Its sucking in air near the front passenger side of the manifold. When I called the parts store they asked if I have the large bore or small bore intake, no idea what I have. And the motor and trans are out of a 77 d100

Ok , Where it's a 77 motor then it's a hydraulic flat tappet cam motor . My first guess would be it's a small port head ( 7/8" x 2" ) where it's a 2 bbl. motor . The large port is 1"x 2 3/16" . What I'd do if I wasn't a 100 % sure and the gasket kit's should only be about $15/$20 is order both and return the set I don't need . Don't forget , you might have to take one of the valve covers off as well , to get the intake off . So you might need a set of gaskets for them too .

Thanks for the heads up about the valve cover gaskets. I'll pick up a set. How common are these 360 in regards to aftermarket parts? Do a lot of people build them? I know everything about jeeps lol but I'm brand new to the mopar scene. Would like to get this motor to make 12 second passes. Looking for around 400 ponies. Maybe punch it out a bit?

Yeah , nine times out of ten . It look's like you can just pull the intake alone . But then it ends up hitting the edge of the valve cover . As far as the 360 go's ? It's a darn good motor . You should be able to find parts for it both new and used and you can go a couple of deferent way's . As to how far you want to go depends more on your budget and what parts you use then anything else . The weakest link I can see with your combo of the top of my head ( And if you know jeeps then you probably already have this figured out ) is the rear end . Your going to need to get that extra power to the ground and I doubt the stock one will hold up . I'm not even sure how's it's going to hold up to what you have in it now .

Awesome. Glad to hear there is good potential for power. She definitely pulls. Its mostly going to be a budget build. I'm good at those lol Yeah the 8.25 isn't the strongest. was thinking of doing a Ford 8.8 with disc for the rear. Those are abundant around here and easily swappable into a jeep. And are there any options as far as a manual trans?

Hello from Minnesota! Nice Dodge powered Jeep! 8.8 is good and cheap for your needs. The 360 is a great engine. I just took one out of my Dart and I'm going to put it in my '72 W200. IIt was a rebuild and they got the parts right cause it's a snorter! For 400 hp you're going to want better heads. I believe some of the later 360's (LA series, not the Magnum series, they have different bolt patterns) had improved heads but I can't remember specifics. Easy as a Google search, or go over to Forabodiesonly.com I know they have that info over there. As for carb size, I love more carb. I run a 750 edelbrock on my 360 and it loves it. As long as it's not delivering more fuel than it needs it's all good. My engine was in aan '87 conversion van and it went like a raped ape with 2 into 1 exhaust. U has some balls for being a stock rebuild, so have fun!

Hello from Minnesota! Nice Dodge powered Jeep! 8.8 is good and cheap for your needs. The 360 is a great engine. I just took one out of my Dart and I'm going to put it in my '72 W200. IIt was a rebuild and they got the parts right cause it's a snorter! For 400 hp you're going to want better heads. I believe some of the later 360's (LA series, not the Magnum series, they have different bolt patterns) had improved heads but I can't remember specifics. Easy as a Google search, or go over to Forabodiesonly.com I know they have that info over there. As for carb size, I love more carb. I run a 750 edelbrock on my 360 and it loves it. As long as it's not delivering more fuel than it needs it's all good. My engine was in aan '87 conversion van and it went like a raped ape with 2 into 1 exhaust. U has some balls for being a stock rebuild, so have fun!
I thought you where going with a 440 in your 72 Mob ?

A lot of the late 80's truck 360's had the swirl port heads . The mag motors started in 93 and he could do a mag head swap but it would take more work and money . The pre 92 LA swirl port would be good cheap up grade . I'd recommend that rout since he doesn't know these motors that well . The only thing he'd have to worry about is blocking the smog ports . Which is pretty simple and all he'd need would be a drill , tap and the plugs .

The plot thickens! I am, but I'm putting the 360 in it to make it mobile. The stock 318 needs the carb rebuilt, so why not swap engines?
Sounds like a plan ! :D

By the way DeepJeep . I assume this is going to be street driver as well as playing at the track ?

Thanks for the info guys! Yes it's going to be my dd with light track duty. I have a really good junkyard near me. I'm no stranger to fab work. I'll look into the head swap. Would like to just make some reliable power for now. She definitely has more pep then my old jeep though lol

Then I'm thinking a good budget build will be just the ticket . Something that will have good street manors , won't run hot and be darn quick at the track . You've already got a good power to weight ratio . So find a good set of heads from a late 80's truck 360 , an aluminum duel plain , 4 bbl. carb , a good cam and lifter set that the power range starts on or near idle and you can run your stock convertor , double roller chain , windage tray and something around 3;55's in the rear .

One other thing I forgot . The exhaust . Headers , if you can find a set for your application and a true duel exhaust with good mufflers .

Then I'm thinking a good budget build will be just the ticket . Something that will have good street manors , won't run hot and be darn quick at the track . You've already got a good power to weight ratio . So find a good set of heads from a late 80's truck 360 , an aluminum duel plain , 4 bbl. carb , a good cam and lifter set that the power range starts on or near idle and you can run your stock convertor , double roller chain , windage tray and something around 3;55's in the rear .

Sounds good to me! I've already been sourcing the intake manifold and carb. And preference on brand and what kind of carb setup? Elc choke, etc, etc? The rear already has 3.55's. Even though it's the week link in only going to do the intake and manifold for now. I think I can get away with using this 27 spline 8.25 for now. I put my last one through some abuse in my old jeep. I'm going to have to Frankenstein my exhaust. Driver side is stock. Passenger side is off a Dakota I think because it exits in the very rear. All one log style manifold. I'll re do the rear before I add the cam and heads, etc..I can get an 8.8 for like 150 bucks down here in solid condition. I would like to ditch the leaf springs and go with a 4 link and coil overs. But that's a whole nother thread subject lol

I know a lot of people like holly's but I personally like an eddy for something that's going to see a lot of street duty . I've found you can pretty much set it and forget it . When you it get into the fine tuning for performance , there real easy to re-jet and such with a strip kit . The electric choke version is good for cold starts . You just pump the gas twice and turn the key . Is the rear that's in your jeep now a limited slip or a one wheel wonder peel ? Your going to want both wheels spinning to get any power to the ground . Quick question . Will headers meant for a V8 Dakota or ram 50 fit in your jeep ? I was thinking It might be worth checking out .

I second Edelbrock carb, they work great and are easy to time, usually right out of the box is good. Holley's are great carbs, just have more adjustability that you can mess up.

Your right Mob . Most of the time , right out of the box there good ! And for a vehicle that's going to see a lot of street duty there great because once there installed you pretty much forget about it . As far as performance go's , there also a really good carb there as well and if you need to trick it out any . There wicked easy with just a trick kit . Hell , I even run one on Lucifer because even though there's all kinds of evil under the hood I knew I'd be driving on the street a lot going to cruise's and shows and such . The last thing I want to think about is my carb .

Back