• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1979 Dodge Lil Red Express Truck Restoration

It's looking pretty darn good so far . So I wouldn't worry to much . I hope you dry fitted everything before you started clear coating .

IMG_1693_resized(1).jpgYour truck is coming along great!

IMG_1693_resized.jpg

IMG_1693_resized(1).jpg

Last edited:
I just came across this thread. Great to see another one returning to the road! I'm in the process on my own '79 and can't wait to get it done. It's been around 30 years since I drove it last.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

I used to use mine to pull my '70 Roadrunner to the drags years ago and I'm planning on using it again for my tow vehicle when it's done. It ought to look great pulling either the Duster or the Barracuda.

attachment.jpg

I just came across this thread. Great to see another one returning to the road! I'm in the process on my own '79 and can't wait to get it done. It's been around 30 years since I drove it last.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

I used to use mine to pull my '70 Roadrunner to the drags years ago and I'm planning on using it again for my tow vehicle when it's done. It ought to look great pulling either the Duster or the Barracuda.

attachment.jpg

Wow! Nice collection. I had a '72 Duster in high school and I really like that era of Barracuda. Those were the two other choices I had when deciding what sort of project to take on.

Your truck is coming along great!

Thanks! I'm pretty sure that'll be my last update until spring.

I'm going to roll the chassis over to my mechanic so he can get it and the carb all running right (he's got his shop along the alleyway we share in my back yard so it's pretty convenient). I won't have the body painted until...well, hopefully late spring if my painter can get some free time to work on it.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure that'll be my last update until spring.

I'm going to roll the chassis over to my mechanic so he can get it and the carb all running right (he's got his shop along the alleyway we share in my back yard so it's pretty convenient). I won't have the body painted until...well, hopefully late spring if my painter can get some free time to work on it.

Spring's a long way away! Maybe you can sneak across the alley and snap some photos or video of the progress. What kind of shape were the little step plates that the exhaust runs through? Mine were pretty sad.

I still have to get it over to him yet. But once he gets it running nice and smooth I'll get a video update.

One of my steps was salvageable, the other got scrapped. I do have a painted one without a hole that I can work with if i don't find one next year.

I still have to get it over to him yet. But once he gets it running nice and smooth I'll get a video update.

One of my steps was salvageable, the other got scrapped. I do have a painted one without a hole that I can work with if i don't find one next year.

I have to say , For someone that doesn't do this for a living , you've been doing darn good so far "jumbreit" ! Which step are you going to need ? I'll keep my eye's open for one for you . You never know what I might come across . Maybe even another member might have one . You never know .

I have to say , For someone that doesn't do this for a living , you've been doing darn good so far "jumbreit" ! Which step are you going to need ? I'll keep my eye's open for one for you . You never know what I might come across . Maybe even another member might have one . You never know .

Golly gee, thanks Bear. For me it's been a matter of knowing what I don't know and making sure I do the research/talk to the right people before I do something...and taking my time. Google, YouTube, the Forums and my mechanic Randy are to thank for it going well. I have to say, with as bad as this thing was, and as much as I tore it down, I really expected things to not go as smoothly as they have. Even though I didn't plan on tearing down the engine, the overall cost wasn't that bad and it was definitely for the best.

As far as the step, I need a passenger side step, but I'd take a pair as long as I don't get stuck paying $400 for a set from DodgeConnection.

...I'm also rather surprised by the number of views this thread is getting (currently just over 41000). It really jumped after I started posting about finishing the wood.

A little update for the end of the 2014....

If you haven't been following the following thread (http://www.fortrucksonly.com/truckforum/showthread.php?1805-360-Core-Plug) about the minor coolant leak which may be the result in a crack in the water jacket, check it out.

My painter moved a little closer so I popped over to see the progress. He's got the fenders painted, a little work done on the cab, and more work (than he expected) on the doors. I'll be getting my hands dirty helping him out as much as possible once he gets settled now that I'm pretty much done with most everything else on this truck.
IMG_1917.jpg

Even though I don't have the cab, I've wired everything up and I've got a mechanic friend coming over to tune up my engine while I work out any electrical issues. I have the sandblasted core support so I mounted as much to that as possible, also to help sort through my nuts and bolts collection. I threw the grill and headlight bezels on for kicks.
IMG_1999.jpg

I'm looking forward to updating the following photo by the end of summer...
DSC05952.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

DSC05952.jpg

Well, after two years of little to no activity on my truck, I'm ready to get my hands dirty again. We got sidetracked beginning 2015 with opening a restaurant which pretty took over our lives (and $$) more than expected for 2 years.

The only real progress made was pulling the tranny off and identifying the cause of my coolant leak which wasn't anything more than a freeze plug with a scratch on the side just large enough to allow coolant to seep out.

Unfortunately, my painter flaked out on me....Painted a few parts, then haphazardly affixed them to his trailer where they proceeded to slide off. He also left my paints in his garage over the winter which ruined several hundred $$ of paint. Nice enough guy with some clear skills, but has left me with unfinished pieces and no chance of getting any $$ back from him. Luckily I'm only out $2000 and did get enough work done so I don't feel completely ripped off.

This year, my minimum goal is to get the underside of the cab done so I can get that mounted, then get the engine running again.

Glad to hear your back at it and haven't given up . Sorry to hear about the deal with your painter . As much as I hate to say it , I hear that same story all to often with guy's that start a build for someone and then up's and backs out or disappears on them . But I'm glad your not letting that stop you from finishing the build . On the freeze plug thing . What I do when I install freeze plugs is put a light coat of permatex on the back side and the edges before I install them . That way you have a better chance of no leaks and if it's a steel freeze plug , it helps keep it from rusting on the inside . Good luck with the build and keep us posted . ;)

Glad to see you're back too. I've got 2 boys also, and the oldest one's name is Logan!
Easy, quick goals will go a long way at getting back on track. I had to take a break from my resto project, and now I'm listing little things that can be done. It's getting me recharged again.
We're rooting for you!

Back