• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1979 Dodge Lil Red Express Truck Restoration

Thanks!

I've pulled everything off the new cab anyway, and stripped everything I could off the old one. I did make a template of the cowl from the original so I've got some reference when I scrap the old one. It really breaks my heart to have to scrap it and I'd like to have the correct year because I do like the more rounded roof line. I'll reconsider this cab if I come across a pre-81 before I get this one mounted, painted and put everything back in it. But truthfully, I doubt anyone would even notice the difference.

I also did a quick installation of the dash and heater and it looks like it'll all fit without too much modification.

Time for a quick update on the Lil Red Express project. I've got the front and rear suspension put back together. I'm currently putting new brake lines in. I picked up some part s from a guy in my hometown that's had a few Lil Red Express'. He had a good core support, filler panel, fender and some misc parts I needed for only $175.

He also told me that there are a few interested parties that would like my '86 cab. I said I'd do a trade if they could find me the correct generation. I'll use this one if I have to, but I'm not a big fan of the roofline.

I'm still trying to find the front sway bar links and some tank straps if anyone knows where I can find some.
DSC04943s.jpg
DSC05036cs.jpg

DSC04943s.jpg

DSC05036cs.jpg

Good score on those parts ! And definitely a good price . The lil red look's like it's coming along really nice . I can't remember were I got the factory gas tank straps the last time I needed them but if I remember or I come across a set I'll let you know . By sway bar links , what do you need ? Just the bolts , rubbers , and washers ? Do you need the rubber bushings that go on the frame to ?

I need two of these...
IMG_0959.jpg

I haven't determined which straps I have yet, I got two but I think one may be too long. I also need the 'L' shaped piece that attaches to the frame.

IMG_0959.jpg

Jumbreit,

Cool Lil Red Truck! Looks like a fun build and the chassis looks great! I'm finishing up a 2+ year resto on my 1997 Dodge... Mine came from the northeast with plenty of rust to repair and panels to replace. Anyway try this salvage yard parts locater site. http://www.car-part.com/index.htm It was a very valuable tool in my restoration. I wanted to stay with all OE body parts and factory black ones at that. This site will let you search yards all over the US for just about any used part that you might need. I tried to only buy panels from the "rust free" states and it worked out well! I even purchased a complete bed for my truck as the original was to far gone to repair. Most yard you deal with can get you great rates for shipping... even in your case on a 79 cab assembly or shell. Also in most cases the yards will give you a price and condition of the parts in the listings. I was able to talk them down on price and or had them deal on the shipping.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
FALL 2013 UPDATE
I got the hole in the frame welded and moved it everything into the garage. Started to work on the engine and ended up having to pull the heads so I could clean them up as well as the cylinders. I was hoping not to have to go this far into the engine, but it's not that bad and this is all about the experience anyway.
16361093_large.jpg
16361090_large.jpg
16361091_large.jpg
16361092_large.jpg

16361093_large.jpg

16361090_large.jpg

16361091_large.jpg

16361092_large.jpg

It's funny , I was just thinking about you and how your build was going . We haven't got any updates on the lil red in a while . ..... What are you thinking about the motor ? Are you going to get away with just a honing or are you going to have to send it out and have it punched ?

I'm going to go with a honing, since the engine was rebuilt not too long before the previous owner stopped driving it, there's really not ridge to speak of in the cylinders.. There's a mechanic literally in my back yard who's been helping me a lot with this project with advice and tools and he's got a honing tool he's going to show me how to use, I think I've only had to pay him for welding my frame and removing some frozen bolts from my leaf spring bushings. But his advice has been invaluable to this project, that and the internet.

I, along with a little help from my 12 year old son, Logan, tore the engine down on Saturday. I don't think this motors' had a lot of miles put on it after it's rebuild in '94, everything looked pretty good. Even the cylinders cleaned up a bit just from taking out the pistons. I'll still hone the cylinders and replace the bearings at least.
DSC05479.jpg
DSC05514.jpg
DSC05517.jpg
DSC05518.jpg

DSC05479.jpg

DSC05514.jpg

DSC05517.jpg

DSC05518.jpg

It's good to see a gear head in the making ! I hope he remembered to mark the rods so that they go back in the same cylinders .

We got lucky, they were already marked from the last rebuild. He's helped on and off...I think he's got his eyes on the prize. But I think any exposure will spark an interest.

Last edited:
By the way Bear, any updates on your '79? I thought you said you started a thread covering it's restoration, but can't find it.

He's probably thinking " In just a couple more years dads gunna let me borrow the truck" . lol
We got lucky, they were already marked from the last rebuild. He's helped on and off...I think he's got his eyes on the prize. But I think any exposure will spark an interest.

1689884_10100507056761693_1378695643_n.jpg
1964990_10100506670316133_1226690570_n.jpg
Tried the old 'Tin-foil and water' technique to clean up my rims and bumpers. I really thought the rims were unusable until I saw this method on youtube. They're not 100% perfect, but I'll settle for 80%. These rims and bumpers aren't the original and came with the many extras when I bought the truck. The original rims must've been de-chromed and the original bumpers were pretty trashed.

The 1979 license plates were a gift from my 12 year old who found and bought them for me at a flea market.

1689884_10100507056761693_1378695643_n.jpg

1964990_10100506670316133_1226690570_n.jpg

We decided to push the completion date up a bit, by about 4 years to have it complete by end of August. I've got my painting buddy working on the doors right now and we're hoping to have the painting done my May. In the meantime, I've got the heads in for machining and a valve-job and I'm ordering the remainder of the engine parts so I can get that together in the next couple weeks after I hone the cylinders (as long as this 30-degree heat wave keeps lasts).

When I started this project, I setup a spreadsheet laying out the tasks I would need to do, how long it would likely take, as well as how much each one would cost. I also agreed to a $1200 a year budget which also made sure I took the time to do as much as possible myself and keep the budget in line. I figured the total costs minus tools would have been around $12000 and the project was going to take about 8 years (it also calculated completion date). Currently, the project will be just above $10,000 which I think is still pretty reasonable considering it's 100% redone.

WOW ! Good job on bringing that chrome back ! I'm going to have to try that trick . It might come in handy being up here in the North East .

Maybe you Know already but just plain fine steel wool will clean chrome up great and won't mark it. Also works for cleaning oversray off glass. Don't try it on stainless or alum. though. Just my 2c.
Nice job on the build so far. Been following the thread.

Back