• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1979 Dodge Lil Red Express Truck Restoration

So what's this tinfoil and water trick? Does the aluminum fill in the voids where the chrome is gone? Or is it just an abrasive? What about where the chrome is in pretty bad shape? You've piqued my interest.

So what's this tinfoil and water trick? Does the aluminum fill in the voids where the chrome is gone? Or is it just an abrasive? What about where the chrome is in pretty bad shape? You've piqued my interest.

You just wad up some tin-foil and scrub the chrome while keeping it wet. Not sure of the reasoning behind it's effectiveness, maybe just the right amount of abrasiveness, or some sort of electro-ionization-reaction thing. I heard somewhere that you can use steel wool, but apparently my wife doesn't keep steel wool in the house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vooHwOOc6Hk

Just got my heads done. I was going to clean these up and do a valve job myself, but when I took them in to have them resurfaced, they quoted me only $230 to also have them cleaned, magnufluxed as well as a valve job I decided I couldn't pass that up (they also removed a broken stud).
032a.jpg
Photo Mar 13, 7 26 25 AM.jpg

032a.jpg

Photo Mar 13, 7 26 25 AM.jpg

Not a bad score and at least you know there shouldn't be any issues with the heads now . :thumb:

Should have my engine all together this Easter weekend. Hopefully I'll get my engine back on the frame next weekend and my new exhaust will be in so I can get it fired up. I also just ordered a truckload of stuff from DodgeConnection to finish this off once the paint is done. Still shooting for mid-August completion.
Before
DSC05416.jpg
After
DSC05687.jpg

DSC05693.jpg

DSC05687.jpg

DSC05693.jpg

DSC05416.jpg

Last edited:
Got some more of the engine put together. That phosphoric acid (CLR) works wonders getting the rust off those brackets and pullys. Just let the stuff soak for an hour and no sanding needed.

I hope to have the engine running in the next couple weeks.
1229991_10100576848403683_5750171587696975112_n.jpg
10313777_10100576848458573_6947272274979710600_n.jpg

Also, my painter has my fenders in primer and has been working hard on my doors, one of which will need some sheet metal patched in. It's slow going for him since he's doing it on the side and has a life like everyone else.

1229991_10100576848403683_5750171587696975112_n.jpg

10313777_10100576848458573_6947272274979710600_n.jpg

Last edited:
1961970_10100552624363853_4689453522623424296_o.jpg
Here is the selection of carbs I had to choose from. I rebuilt the one on the left, a 9273. The one that was on the truck when I bought it was off a 440 based on the model#. It also had $30 written in marker on it yet. Since the 9273's parts were in baggies, it was nice to have another example to pull apart.

Clockwise from left: 9273S, 9292S , 9269S (marked with $60 on sticker), 9109S (came on truck, has $30 written in marker on it).

1961970_10100552624363853_4689453522623424296_o.jpg

Posted a video update to YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDSSqVnJqhs

DSC05957a.jpg

Most of the lines and hoses are attached. Currently sorting out the wiring. Got the new fuel sending unit on the tank (had an issue after I had to drill out the original screws). Also got my new Cooper Cobra's on the original, cleaned-up rims. The bumpers aren't original, but part of the $1500 purchase price.

DSC05957a.jpg

Last edited:
Look'in gooood "Jumbreit" ! It was hard for me to see but those bumpers look like the correct one's for your truck ? .... Do you have the fresh air tubes to go with the factory air cleaner ?

Bumpers were pretty much a match for the ones I scrapped, hard to tell since those were pretty bent up. And yep, I've got the hoses, plus one or two extras. I have to say even though this truck was pretty rough, I really did get alot for my $$. Did I mention he included two grills?

And the funny thing about the gas tank was he had the original replaced because it leaked. The one that was on was really badly cracked and the one I fixed, was the original that only had a leak in the filler gasket. Thank God he kept that too.

There's a reason why I never throw anything out or sell anything until I'm done with a project . You never know what your going to need or reference during the build . I even try and stalk pile parts for vehicles that I know I'm keeping . For that just in case factor . Like with you and that gas tank . If you had tossed it then you'd be looking for another tank right about now . Speaking of gas tanks , I'm supposed to be going to pick up an NOS one this month from someone that I know . You "know" that bad boy is going into my inventory ! lol I learned my lesson with the lil Red we had years ago . I must have put three tanks in that truck while we owned it . They kept cracking on me for some reason . I'm "not" going threw that with my Warlock ! lol Keep up the good work and keep us posted .

Thanks!

The tank that was on the truck was cracked pretty badly. Any idea what causes that? Straps too loose, too tight, bumpy roads? I'll definitely keep an eye out for another one to keep along with the extra front and rear fenders, grill, door panels I have. I had a pretty large pile of metal to send to the scrapyard but I got some very detailed photographs of everything...which is coming in quite handy for me now. I've also uploaded them to Google Drive (on the cloud) so I can pull my pictures up on my iPhone and literally compare the photo side by side with the real thing.

I've been assured that I'll be getting my cab back from my painter a week from Sunday so I can really get going on finishing it up this summer.

I'm not a 100 % sure . I think it's a combination of plastic tank , metal straps and a frame that flex's pretty dam good . When the tank cracked on the 4x4 Warlock I had before I got the 2 wheel drive one I have now , I started making ( What I would call ) a cushion strap to go between the metal strap and the tank . I did this to keep the metal strap from clamping hard against the plastic tank . I guess that worked because "that" tank lasted over seven years until I sold it and as far as I know is still in that truck without any issues . You "know" I'm going to be doing the same thing to the Warlock I have now when I pull it to do the sending unit . I figure , better safe then sorry .

Got the new exhaust on, the engine running and wired up all the electrical to work out any bugs while I'm waiting for the painter to finish. 035.jpg

Also blew up a muffler...
032.jpg

[video=youtube_share;M-A6IbLC2Wc]http://youtu.be/M-A6IbLC2Wc?list=UU0hMlwLbauSBhbNJppitENw[/video]

035.jpg

032.jpg

Sounds good ! :thumb: There's nothing like hearing that pride and joy start for the first time after all the work you've done , isn't there ? And how did we blow up a brand new muffler ? Maybe a little to much raw fuel ? Hmmm ? lol

Yep, it was a very good day, wondering if it'd run or not after the rebuild was pretty scary. Took the radiator in after that to get it patched and now I'm sorting out the wiring, making sure everything works now so I don't have to dig around and under everything later.

In the middle of varnishing my bed wood. Using Old Masters Marine Spar. I plan on doing 7 or 8 coats, sanding between each coat with 220 grit.
048.jpg
049.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

WOW ! That wood is coming out great ! Is that the original wood off the truck ? Are you going to swap to a finer grit for the last couple of coats ?

Nope, not original wood, it's Red Oak from DodgeConnection (http://www.dodgeconnection.com/page/page/2822475.htm). I have some of the original side wood, but not all of it, and the original bed wood was all rotted out. Yeah, I plan on going back over it with a finer grit once they sit for a bit. But I've never done this before so I'm a bit worried about messing it up.

Back