• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

56 Dodge truck build

Yeah. I received the roller cam for it a while ago ground for me by Don Johansen. Very nice piece. Dual fours on an Adventurer intake. Block hugger headers. 341 block bored .040 over with Ross 10:1 Pistons. Hot heads front cover, oil pump adapter, and trams adapter to a 518 auto.

image.jpeg

I'm going to push it back in the shop this weekend. Farming is almost done for the year so I can get back to work. Thanks for asking.

Glad to see your back to work on it ! Can't wait to hear that bad boy running ! ;)

That wood "did" come out nice . I forget , What's the plan for the finish of the body ? Was it black primer ? ...... That is a nice looking 68 in the garage . How about a better picture of it ?

IMG_6732.JPG
Carbs are WCFB carters. The first 4 barrel carbs Carter built. Maybe 425 cfm each. They are original 1956 Desoto Adventurer carbs.
The 68 Charger I've had for 20 years. I built a 505 CI 6 pack, roller cam, eddy heads, motor for it a few years ago. Smokes the tires off.
I did a test fit on the bed wood. As you can see the side boards are 3 1/2" short of making the outside edge of the bed. I had built the wheel tubs and knew I would have to notch out around the tubs. I had to raise the floor for the Dakota frame kick ups. So I don't have the metal coming off the bed side to bolt the wood to. I don't understand why my bed floor is not wide enough to cover?

That '68 Charger sounds mean as Hell! :cool:

On your Bed Slat issues, you didn't happen to "swell" the bed out when you made it? As you mentioned you said you made parts to make this all fit, so you may have taken that for granted when making the boards! -You may have to center what you already have, and cut the 2 outside ones to fit the bed.... About all you can do at this point I think....

NICE work on that refinished lumber tho! (If only those in the bed I have looked half that good!)

View attachment 7883 Carbs are WCFB carters. The first 4 barrel carbs Carter built. Maybe 425 cfm each. They are original 1956 Desoto Adventurer carbs.
The 68 Charger I've had for 20 years. I built a 505 CI 6 pack, roller cam, eddy heads, motor for it a few years ago. Smokes the tires off.
I did a test fit on the bed wood. As you can see the side boards are 3 1/2" short of making the outside edge of the bed. I had built the wheel tubs and knew I would have to notch out around the tubs. I had to raise the floor for the Dakota frame kick ups. So I don't have the metal coming off the bed side to bolt the wood to. I don't understand why my bed floor is not wide enough to cover?
Very nice on the 68 ! Makes me miss the 69 I had . On the wood question . Did you make the planks or did you order a wood kit ? If it was a kit , then different year step side's where different sizes as well as different number of planks .

Bears right! (AGAIN) The kits do differ from one year to another....... Found that out when m,y Step-Son found a "kit" and got it for next to nothing and gave it to me and it too would NOT fit my '67 bed, width wise!

I totally forgot all about that little issue!

Bears right! (AGAIN) The kits do differ from one year to another....... Found that out when m,y Step-Son found a "kit" and got it for next to nothing and gave it to me and it too would NOT fit my '67 bed, width wise!

I totally forgot all about that little issue!
That's why I always pre fit everything when I'm doing a build .

Yeah the good part was................at least it was "free" and I didn't waist any money in it, I test fitted it BEFORE any "finish" was put onto the boards.....

Back