• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

56 Dodge truck build

NICE Work man! Can't wait to see you driving that one.... (LOVE them old Dodge Trucks!)

thanks all , its a fun junk build . have so much stuff i'm tripping over it and walking on it as well . so started moving it to a more story area , not in my shop . and started using some of that stuff for this build . most of it was cast off parts from others and just pieces n parts from leftovers . and stuff i've been collecting for years . i'll be getting back on it soon . but had to get this crewcab going , so i'm stuffing a 440 auto with headers weiand hi rise intake electronic ign volt reg 2 1/2 manual bent to flowmasters . so no pics . dropped the camera , it needs a repair now , lol . but a pic of what i started with . and one pic after a bath n rollers mounted .theres a shot of orangy and now oranger , lol .

00p0p_77UbpCA1s9h_600x450.jpg

00y0y_2Eflq4SPwGK_600x450.jpg

00909_aNH3KoobIZ6_600x450.jpg

DSC07851.JPG

DSC07852.JPG

DSC07853.JPG

DSC07854.JPG

DSC07855.JPG

DSC07856.JPG

DSC08197.JPG

Thought I’d put up an update. Frame and chassis parts powder coated. It rolls again! Moving on to engine assembly soon. Work and play in the way still.

B768EF57-A46E-41CD-B099-421F054D8975.jpeg

Yes I am. Still a long way to go. I went to Hot August Nights and was humbled by all the work that people put into their vehicles. But I’m going to keep chipping away at it. I’ll send a better pic of the chassis this week.

need some more pics of the harness back in place . still got to replace the steering column . hey butched it all up at the turnsignals , i've need seen such as this , i thought their turn signal trimming was bad enough , never thought i'd see that . pics to come .
DSC01048.JPG
DSC01051.JPG

DSC01048.JPG

look'n good there , keep it going . i've got a 57 d100 to do yet . on my 69 d200 crewcab , finish up the harnessing . now to check it out and wrap it back up . and then back on my 60 d100 short swept . getting an engine built for it . its just a junk build , just stuff here i've gathered up . mostly used parts , new were neede

DSC01351.JPG

DSC01355.JPG

DSC08001.JPG

DSC08002.JPG

DSC04066.JPG

Last edited:
Short block done. I have a problem choosing an oil pump. I bought an adapter from Hot Heads that allows using a 340 oil pump on the Desoto. Lots of negative feedback on the web with this setup. There are a couple other choices. Working through those choices.

4FCC8EC8-3AD8-4D58-B199-D34A69990D8B.jpeg

3D8CE2D2-05E5-456C-9B39-1D3AF4A239FB.jpeg

Desoto Hemi’s have a unique pump. Hot Heads makes an adapter to use a 340 HV pump. Uses a plate on the main cap and changes the main shaft in the 340 pump from a hex socket to a blade and notch coupler like the original Desoto.
There are reports with pictures of the material in the replaced pump main shaft failing leading to Catastrophic engine failure.
Then there is the M50 Melling oil pump that is a replacement for early hemis. Questions about this pump’s shaft length being .1” short and what that would do for longevity. I would have to make my own pick up. Not the end of the world.
Lastly I have a low mileage original pump. I could check it over and replace the soft parts. It is a direct bolt on, has the original floating pick up, and might offer the safest route.
Due to some crossed signals with my machine shop I wound up owning the two “new” pump choices.

not sure what hotheads is selling now , i bud here in calif made a kit up for h/h . but now there going else were . his stuff works . let me know if you wish to contact him .

Have seen old hemis with Windsor, Desota and Chrysler blocks and an familiar with their cub sizes. Have studied their history thats about it.

Just posting an update. I’ll send pics of the solution to the oil pump dilemma soon
I moved forward with getting the cam degrees in. I had a new billet roller ground by Donnie Johansen. 232’@.050 and .435 lift. Donnie had included a cam sheet but it didn’t include a cam centerline. I finally figured it all out. It was a learning experience and I have a bunch of new tools. I bought a Big degree wheel, a 6” extension for my dial indicator to reach the lifter, and a crank socket.
Next was checking piston to valve clearance. No problem I have .3”. After that I measured the pushrod length and ordered the new adjustable pushrods.
I also ordered a windage tray. I also ordered plug wires, msd distributor and control box.
So this has to be the slowest engine build I’ve ever done. This Hemi deal cost a lot of money and is very time consuming. It will all be worth it.

01AF02E3-480D-4BB7-BA87-A403B932A9EB.jpeg

7183CB08-0E63-4588-AFF3-08FD7F05D62B.jpeg

5FCDA973-79B8-48A5-AD5A-3A5DC968B647.jpeg

3289C755-52AE-4660-9DEB-55708FF4B5EA.jpeg

76681529-B383-42CA-B5AD-43B0ACB6CB78.jpeg

Just posting an update. I’ll send pics of the solution to the oil pump dilemma soon
I moved forward with getting the cam degrees in. I had a new billet roller ground by Donnie Johansen. 232’@.050 and .435 lift. Donnie had included a cam sheet but it didn’t include a cam centerline. I finally figured it all out. It was a learning experience and I have a bunch of new tools. I bought a Big degree wheel, a 6” extension for my dial indicator to reach the lifter, and a crank socket.
Next was checking piston to valve clearance. No problem I have .3”. After that I measured the pushrod length and ordered the new adjustable pushrods.
I also ordered a windage tray. I also ordered plug wires, msd distributor and control box.
So this has to be the slowest engine build I’ve ever done. This Hemi deal cost a lot of money and is very time consuming. It will all be worth it.

View attachment 12451

View attachment 12452

View attachment 12453

View attachment 12454

View attachment 12455
Thats got to be that heaviest piston stop

Back