• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

56 Dodge truck build

Yeah I got it for future use. I know I want it to end up as some radical beast
Is there any other kind of Mopar ? :) The best way I can describe a ride in my Warlock is , It's like a carnival ride , It scares the crap out of you and then leaves you giggling uncontrollably afterwards . :D lol

Is there any other kind of Mopar ? :) The best way I can describe a ride in my Warlock is , It's like a carnival ride , It scares the crap out of you and then leaves you giggling uncontrollably afterwards . :D lol
I love that feeling.

Couple of updates. Cab mounts are heavy tacked in. Reused Dakota insulators. Front group mounts built using Dakota front mount and insulator. Going to try to move engine/trans 1 inch to the drivers side for exhaust clearance. Then mock up seat, steering wheel etc. to determine if I still have an acceptable seating position.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Not bad , not bad at all . ;) What are you thinking about using for a column ?

Have you checked out the 67 "Tin Cup" is building , using a V10 ? If not , you might want to check it out . It might give you a few ideas , or at the very least be a good read . :cool:

If you are not in a big hurry on the steering system and have an active ratrod group around I have seen some crazy steering systems. Some you would not even imagine passing a vechical inspection.

Been working on the old truck. Front motor mounts are done. Clearance issues are solved. Had to move one tube on the right side header.
Had to cut the frame twice. Damn. Forgot to account for the five inches of overlap at the joint. Went better the second time.
I saw where a gas tank out of a 68 mustang would fit nicely between the frame rails. It did. Made a 1 inch square tube frame that bolts to the frame. Bought a 3/8" fuel pick up and sender. Tank and sender was about $165. I still need to weld in a vent. Bought a flush stainless marine fuel cap for $30 that will mount in the bed.
Set the bed on after cutting out the wheel wells. The floor of the bed will have to be raised about 8-9". Working on that next. I will use 1" square tubing to build floor. Waiting for the stainless bed strips.
Trying to figure out tire and wheel stuff. Width offset etc.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I noticed I had not posted steering or brake location pics. Here's a few. Seating position is good. Gas pedal won't be ideal but will work fine. Valve covers will be removable in the truck. Everything clears. Had to free up the rusty mechanism for the cowl vent and move it to drivers side. Works well now.
Motor work is progressing. I had sent off an old cam for a regrind. Grinder doesn't like my core. There is only one alternative with and old Desoto. Decided to bite the bullet. Don Johansen is grinding me a billet hydraulic roller. 228@.050, .450 lift, 108 center. Dodge retrofit hydraulic roller lifters are supposed to drop in to the Desoto. Adjustable pushrods mandatory. Not cheap but not much choice. Nobody makes cam cores for the Desoto.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Been working on the old truck. Front motor mounts are done. Clearance issues are solved. Had to move one tube on the right side header.
Had to cut the frame twice. Damn. Forgot to account for the five inches of overlap at the joint. Went better the second time.
I saw where a gas tank out of a 68 mustang would fit nicely between the frame rails. It did. Made a 1 inch square tube frame that bolts to the frame. Bought a 3/8" fuel pick up and sender. Tank and sender was about $165. I still need to weld in a vent. Bought a flush stainless marine fuel cap for $30 that will mount in the bed.
Set the bed on after cutting out the wheel wells. The floor of the bed will have to be raised about 8-9". Working on that next. I will use 1" square tubing to build floor. Waiting for the stainless bed strips.
Trying to figure out tire and wheel stuff. Width offset etc.
Wow that bed does sit a little low . How much of the frame is going to show if you just block it up ?

Wow that bed does sit a little low . How much of the frame is going to show if you just block it up ?
I just thought of something else as well . You might have to think about fabbing up some rear bumper brackets as well when you raise the bed . Just a thought . :)

I noticed I had not posted steering or brake location pics. Here's a few. Seating position is good. Gas pedal won't be ideal but will work fine. Valve covers will be removable in the truck. Everything clears. Had to free up the rusty mechanism for the cowl vent and move it to drivers side. Works well now.
Motor work is progressing. I had sent off an old cam for a regrind. Grinder doesn't like my core. There is only one alternative with and old Desoto. Decided to bite the bullet. Don Johansen is grinding me a billet hydraulic roller. 228@.050, .450 lift, 108 center. Dodge retrofit hydraulic roller lifters are supposed to drop in to the Desoto. Adjustable pushrods mandatory. Not cheap but not much choice. Nobody makes cam cores for the Desoto.
It gets tough building a mopar , but when your building an older one like this , It doesn't get any easier does it ? God job so far ! :cool:

I'm not putting bumpers on. When I get to the bodywork I'll close in the holes in the facia in front. Bed floor will be 8" higher to clear rear kick ups.

I have the bed position mocked up. Found an old 15x10 wheel with 3 1/2" backspace from my dirt track past to mock up. Hmmmm. Bed looks to low to me. Wheel well is filled up but the fender is sitting about three inches lower on the tire than the front fender.
I think I'll try it three inches higher and see how it looks. The final wheel I use will need at least 4" backspace 5" probably better. Looks like I have enough room on the inside to handle 5".
Oh the fun of cut and try.
My machinist got the heads cc'd and now have all the measurements needed to order the Ross custom 10:1 pistons.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It's a 9" out of a bronco with 4.11 posi. I was going to swap axles to get 5 on 4 1/2 to match the Dakota front. Turns out I was already pushing it on how narrow I was. I bought billet adapters to get to the 4 1/2" pattern. Widened it out 2 1/2". Goldilocks on the width and pattern.

It's a 9" out of a bronco with 4.11 posi. I was going to swap axles to get 5 on 4 1/2 to match the Dakota front. Turns out I was already pushing it on how narrow I was. I bought billet adapters to get to the 4 1/2" pattern. Widened it out 2 1/2". Goldilocks on the width and pattern.
You couldn't find an 8 3/4 to fit under it ?

I have the bed position mocked up. Found an old 15x10 wheel with 3 1/2" backspace from my dirt track past to mock up. Hmmmm. Bed looks to low to me. Wheel well is filled up but the fender is sitting about three inches lower on the tire than the front fender.
I think I'll try it three inches higher and see how it looks. The final wheel I use will need at least 4" backspace 5" probably better. Looks like I have enough room on the inside to handle 5".
Oh the fun of cut and try.
My machinist got the heads cc'd and now have all the measurements needed to order the Ross custom 10:1 pistons.
Building something like this there's definitely a lot of trial an error . Just try a little at a time till you find the height your happy with , that's all . You'll get it .;) Do you have the room in your shop to post a full on side shot of it ?

I really wanted to use an 8 3/4. Problem was that I had torn up so many of them racing on the dirt that I didn't have enough parts to build a good one. It would have taken over a $1000 in parts plus the work to set it up. I had a 9" with 4.11 posi for $400. It was a money thing to go with the ford. Everything else is mopar.
I checked a 59 Dodge truck I had to see I had the bed set 2" lower in relation to the cab than stock. I broke all the tacks and moved it up 2" and it looked much better.
I'll try to roll it outside to get a good side pic. I started on the tubs. Adding 4". Still waiting on bed strips to help locate where the cross members will go in.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back