• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

56 Dodge truck build

Nice tub job ! ;) I'll be getting to that on my own truck eventually . :) Just a quick question on the 9" . Instead of running the wheel adapters ( or spacers ) , Since it's a 9" couldn't you have gotten axles with the 5 on 4 1/2" lug pattern ?

I checked a 59 Dodge truck I had to see I had the bed set 2" lower in relation to the cab than stock. I broke all the tacks and moved it up 2" and it looked much better.
I'll try to roll it outside to get a good side pic. I started on the tubs. Adding 4". Still waiting on bed strips to help locate where the cross members will go in.
Judging by the picture ,the bed does look much better now were you got it .

I could have gotten axles. I could have redrilled the axles to 4 1/2" circle. It turned out that the spacers added 2 1/2" width which helped avoid tire rub on the springs. The Bronco was only 58" wide. The Dakota was 62" originally. With the 4" tubs I think I could run 14" wide tires if I wanted to?
I got you a pic outside.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I could have gotten axles. I could have redrilled the axles to 4 1/2" circle. It turned out that the spacers added 2 1/2" width which helped avoid tire rub on the springs. The Bronco was only 58" wide. The Dakota was 62" originally. With the 4" tubs I think I could run 14" wide tires if I wanted to?
That makes sense . So many times with true hot rodding you have to work with what you got and it's looking like your doing just that . If you haven't noticed , I'm liking this build . ;)

I got you a pic outside.
Thanks for going out of your way for the pictures . You see I'm a visual type of guy . If I where there helping you , this is were I'd be stepping back , lighting a smoke and saying , Hmmm as I was looking down the sides . lol ... I think it look's pretty good at that height . But maybe it's the angle of the picture but it looks like the back of the bed is about a 1/2 to 3/4" lower then the front . Is it just me ?

That "is" going to be one sick Hot Rod when your done ! :cool:

Thanks for going out of your way for the pictures . You see I'm a visual type of guy . If I where there helping you , this is were I'd be stepping back , lighting a smoke and saying , Hmmm as I was looking down the sides . lol ... I think it look's pretty good at that height . But maybe it's the angle of the picture but it looks like the back of the bed is about a 1/2 to 3/4" lower then the front . Is it just me ?
Thanks for reassuring my eyeballs, Bear. I was just too leary of starting something by saying anything since I've never met any of you folks.

Thanks for reassuring my eyeballs, Bear. I was just too leary of starting something by saying anything since I've never met any of you folks.
I say , I say , Speak your mind boy ! :D lol If you haven't noticed , I type like I talk . I know sometimes that might come off the wrong way or not the way I meant it . But me personally I'd rather have someone be honest with me and not just say "oh that looks great" and not mean it . We all seem to get along here and everyone has there opinion but there not opinionated . That's one of the reason why I like this site . Were just a bunch of guy's talking and trying to help each other out . As far as this thread ? I'm all in ! And I think ( Or hope ) that "HemiTruck"understands that I mean him no harm in any of my comments . I'm just here to check out his build and help when I can . Like we all are . ;)

I say , I say , Speak your mind boy !
Well, well, Foghorn Leghorn present and accounted for also.

Don't worry, I likely couldn't have kept my mouth shut (or fingers still) too much longer - couldn't take a chance that it is crooked and didn't get caught until it was finished, it's a lot easier to fix now. That's the kind of stuff that always seems to happen to me and it sucks big time. It was good to find I wasn't the only one thinking it looked a little wonky.

lol , Ok guy's . You know that bed is only set on there to check for the height and not permanent yet . What the heck did I start ? lol

I agree the pic made it look off a little. It doesn't really look off in person. I've been working on the tubs. What a lot of work those things are. I'm getting there. Too busy farming to spend much time on the truck for a bit. I'll post more when I get back to work.

image.jpeg

Back to work on the 56. I had a local guy build the firewall for me. My son pushed me to get help. So I'm pretty happy with the results. I can now finish the new raised floor in the bed. Then take the truck apart for blasting and powder coating the frame and suspension.

image.jpeg

Back to work on the 56. I had a local guy build the firewall for me. My son pushed me to get help. So I'm pretty happy with the results. I can now finish the new raised floor in the bed. Then take the truck apart for blasting and powder coating the frame and suspension.
Glad to see your back to work on it . As far as having to ask for help , Don't feel bad , we all need help at one time or another . Whether it be as simple as an extra pair of hands or something bigger like fabbing up a fire wall . ;) The important thing is to keep going forward on it and you'll be out terrorizing the streets in no time ! :cool:

Back