• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1st Gen 1998 Dodge Durango Problems

Hi All,

I have an update on my Durango. As I posted last time, I now have the crank sensor. That got replaced this morning, so I figured I would share some pictures of the old one. It actually was easier to replace than I thought, so HOPEFULLY this will fix all my problems now but I am still gonna add the Gumout fuel system cleaner bottle though as an extra just in case and because I'm sure the fuel system is disgusting too. So for now I believe I am all set, but I obviously will let everyone know how the truck is running once I drive it a bit and if I have any more problems or questions. Thank you again very much everyone on your advice, I really appreciate it
20200531_121929.jpg
20200531_121934.jpg
20200531_121758.jpg
20200531_121954.jpg

Hi All,

Just wanted to give an update on my Durango. It has been running great lately, and I just put gas in it today. I put the Gumout in the tank first then put in about 18 gallons of gas......

gas 1.jpeg
gas 2.jpeg
gas 3.jpeg

Last edited:
Good here hear it is up and going without wondering when it will strand you next.

I think you said that too loud, as I got stranded again this late morning. The truck was running perfect until today when I was way to work, and luckily it died about 2 miles from my house. I was driving and it was running perfect, then I caught up with a slow driver and it slowed down like normal but then it just starts slowing down on its own and not like normal, I go to put my foot in it a little and nothing. Then the "check engine" light comes in and it is flashing, so immediately I pulled over and I know the flashing light is not a good sign. Good thing is I called my stepfather and he rescued me, so we then go home and get the code reader then go back and plug it in to see what it says. We plugged it in and it said multiple misfires, I had to get it towed back to my house and it could not be driven. At first I had my doubts that the engine was toast, BUT I dont know as it starts but does not want to at all idle. We put our foot to the floor and it just coughs and does not do anything, just stays at 1,000-1,500 rpm. Any thoughts on what might be wrong? Idler pulley or maybe a sensor of some type?......

I think you said that too loud, as I got stranded again this late morning. The truck was running perfect until today when I was way to work, and luckily it died about 2 miles from my house. I was driving and it was running perfect, then I caught up with a slow driver and it slowed down like normal but then it just starts slowing down on its own and not like normal, I go to put my foot in it a little and nothing. Then the "check engine" light comes in and it is flashing, so immediately I pulled over and I know the flashing light is not a good sign. Good thing is I called my stepfather and he rescued me, so we then go home and get the code reader then go back and plug it in to see what it says. We plugged it in and it said multiple misfires, I had to get it towed back to my house and it could not be driven. At first I had my doubts that the engine was toast, BUT I dont know as it starts but does not want to at all idle. We put our foot to the floor and it just coughs and does not do anything, just stays at 1,000-1,500 rpm. Any thoughts on what might be wrong? Idler pulley or maybe a sensor of some type?......

What were the code numbers?

FALSE ALARM, ALL FIXED NOW! It was actually on an 8th of a tank of gas and it was not delivering to the fuel pump. We took the fuel line off to see if it was delivering gas to the efi and sure enough it was. That said, we turned the key on and off to prime the fuel pump, put a couple gallons of gas in, and turned it over 3 times, and it started up. Regarding the codes, it showed random misfire.

That is not really typical of a Chrysler product fuel gauge. But the bright side is the fuel pump should always be under fuel.

Hi All,

IT FINALLY HAPPENED! I took the big green beast out today, and I was going to a friends house 2 towns over from where I live. I was in his town and I decided to stop at Dunkin Donuts, and boy was that a mistake. It was running great until I got in his town. I pull into Dunkin Donuts, I am waiting in line with the car in drive NOT neutal and all of a sudden it stalls. Here's the kicker, normally it starts right back up after it stalls and continues running. THIS TIME it does not want to restart......perfect. So what I did was pushed it out of the way and let it sit for a half hour with the hood open. I start it up and it was fine after that. THAT said I had to tell my friend sorry I am not coming with the car acting up, and I did indeed make it home and luckily did not have to have it towed. So that prompted and motivated me to order a crank sensor. Here is what I ordered.....

1998 DODGE DURANGO 5.2L V8 Crankshaft Position Sensor | RockAuto

More Information for NTK EH0178

I also got this from Walmart as well to put in the gas tank when it runs low on gas and I need to fill the car up again, just in case View attachment 17443

last time I had those symptoms, I replaced crank sensor and never had another issue with it. I pulled up to the gas pump shut it off and it would not restart. I had my dealer buddy's wife come get me and my wife and ran me home to get my scanner came back and truck started.... I stopped for a crank sensor (I didnt shut the truck off while I picked that up) got home and changed it right away. that was 97 1/2 ton 4wd with 318 (Ram 1500, 5.2) when that happened to me there was snow on the ground, not hot out. I think outside temp is a coincidence in your case.

Hi folks,

It's been awhile since I last posted here about my Durango. Well, I have yet another problem now.....

The check engine light is on. This first happened on Thanksgiving Day, so my stepdad plugged in his code reader and it said Cylinder misfire. He cleared the code then it ran fine with no light on but now it's on again, the truck does not like the cold it seems. The light does not flash luckily but I went to a doctor appointment with the light on and I came out from my appointment and started it up, I went to put it in drive to leave and it stalled. I tried restarting it but it just cranked over but did not fire, luckily somebody (with a Ford truck) tried helping me out. He said put your foot on the gas pedal and try turning the key and see if it starts, luckily that did the trick and I had no problems after that besides the light still being on to this day.

I took it through Emissions before the light came on and it passed.

Anyway I was thinking of buying a tune up kit from RockAuto and replacing the spark plugs and wires, along with the cap and rotor to see if that does it, as I believe they are original

Anyone have any ideas besides mine? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Fwiw, when I came out from my doctor appointment and it did not start that was the only time it did that. The light has been on since then and it has not had any other problems besides the light being on

IMO
You really need to check the fuel pressure, and or fuel delivery
I don't think there is a code for low pressure.
If your fuel pump is failing or the line is sucking air, then the engine will go lean, stumble due to misfires, and possibly stall; that is what sets the misfire code.
Each time you restart it, the pump primes the line........ if it can.....
And don't forget, the tank still has to be vented.

How about the filler neck and the gauge? When I fill it up with gas the gas pump goes and goes but then stops and when I look at the gas gauge it's almost full but not completely, and then I go to put more gas in the tank and the gas pump goes then stops goes then stops and I do that until I see the gas guage completely full. I got a feeling the neck is getting weak now too or the guage could be off too

Could be a plugged vapor filter or just a slow fuel gauge.
Don't think filling with the ignition on is a good thing.
But how much fuel are you squeezing in?
Some gauges are just slow. The one in our 99 Avenger is that way goes to 3/4 fast but takes forever to show full.

the gas pump goes then stops goes then stops
I think that is more a function of the rate at which the bowser is pumping, and the rate at which the air is escaping from the tank. Our pumps up here, Manitoba Canada, often trip the shut-off with those crummy small filler holes. Every car I have had, since they went to those, has done that.
My 07 Escape was the worst. It seemed to me, like the air pressure in the tank built up during filling and that is what tripped the nozzle. It was horrible. I finally replaced the plugged vent line to the charcoal canister, and $250 later, it was a lil better.

And I agree that some gauges are just slow.
I don't bother with trying to get every last drop into the tank anymore; gas stations are on every corner so what the heck.....

Back