• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1979 Dodge Lil Red Express Truck Restoration

My 1979 Lil Red Express. I've been working on it for about the last year and a half. I've been trying to find some new outer axle seals for the rear end they are not available at local part stores. They measure 2.250 OD x 1.625 ID x.25 width witch equals 2 1/4"x1 5/8"x 1/4". Is there anyone that could help with part #s or info?

Thanks Don Taylor
What housing is it

My 1979 Lil Red Express. I've been working on it for about the last year and a half. I've been trying to find some new outer axle seals for the rear end they are not available at local part stores. They measure 2.250 OD x 1.625 ID x.25 width witch equals 2 1/4"x1 5/8"x 1/4". Is there anyone that could help with part #s or info?

Thanks Don Taylor
Sharp truck. 9 1/4 diff? Is there a number on the old seal

If they're anything like the seals I dealt with at the IH dealership, the numbers can be hard to see. Some brands put them on the rubber of the seal. That is brilliance there.

First of all let me apologize to Basketcace, 65 sporty and 7mopar for my slow reply. And thank you for your replies. For some reason I'm not getting notifications of replies.
I would also like to say the chain part stores are no help at all any more. If what your looking fore dose not pop up on there screen rite out the gate they are done.
I tried Rock Auto to with no luck. I ended up going to what is commonly called a mom and pop store that uses computers and the old parts books. We looked it up using a caliper to get the dimensions and I had them in a few days. They are for a different vehicle but are the same.
I'm adding a pic of the part # maybe it will help someone in the future.

Thanks again, Don Taylor

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3619.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3619.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 188
Totally surprised the seal was that hard to find. But have to admit it has been years since I have replaced one.
Would have thought the places like Year One would have picked it up.

my local CarQuest is the second generation owner, and I'm the second generation customer. He knows his stuff. If he doesn't have it, he can get it the next morning. Yeah the new chain stores only know what the computer askes them. Shame, but glad you found your seal.

My local NAPA store has retained their old books. They store them in a back room. Wish they would put them back at the end of the counter like in years of old.

First of all let me apologize to Basketcace, 65 sporty and 7mopar for my slow reply. And thank you for your replies. For some reason I'm not getting notifications of replies.
I would also like to say the chain part stores are no help at all any more. If what your looking fore dose not pop up on there screen rite out the gate they are done.
I tried Rock Auto to with no luck. I ended up going to what is commonly called a mom and pop store that uses computers and the old parts books. We looked it up using a caliper to get the dimensions and I had them in a few days. They are for a different vehicle but are the same.
I'm adding a pic of the part # maybe it will help someone in the future.

Thanks again, Don Taylor
Glad you found them, many chain store have young guy's who don't have a clue. Both of my local parts stores have people who have been at it for years and know how to use catalogs and calipers

Will be going thru the whole post as I get time. I got a 79 in a deal last year that needs work also but most is there. Real hard finding bed parts here on the east coast but will keep looking. Great looking build btw!

D9D6CA30-9DE6-42B3-BB28-338208D8927C.jpeg

Last edited:
Driver side bed inner fender, mines rusted at bottom, bed strips and rails the stuff that holds the wood. I have one piece of each. I’ll make my own wood(cabinet maker) Gas tank lol, are they plastic or metal?

Driver side bed inner fender, mines rusted at bottom, bed strips and rails the stuff that holds the wood. I have one piece of each. I’ll make my own wood(cabinet maker) Gas tank lol, are they plastic or metal?
Gas tank should be plastic mounted between the frame rails...they are getting a little difficult to find. Dodge connection will have some of the parts you will need:https://www.dodgeconnection.com/DodgeConnectionHome.html
LMC Truck will have some parts also.

Will be going thru the whole post as I get time. I got a 79 in a deal last year that needs work also but most is there. Real hard finding bed parts here on the east coast but will keep looking. Great looking build btw!

View attachment 19852
You should start a build thread for yours, I'd love to follow this. Looks like it is complete but needs some love! It's a great way to come back and 'relive' the process. Great way to get answers and also share what you've learned.

The goal this summer was to be able to confidently drive this on the highway at 70 mph at least.

I took the driveshaft in to get balanced to see if that resolved some of my vibrations and yeah…it had a couple kinks so they rebuilt the shaft and $475 later I have no vibrations.

Now that I’m driving it on the hi-way, I wanted it a bit quieter so I added some Noico sound deadener on the floor, back of cab and even on roof. I did double up on back wall and trans tunnel. Then I put some closed cell foam on floor pans. I also replaced the fiberglass firewall insulation with some stuff I had out of my old Volvo 240 that was rubber backed foam.
CF8BA7BA-9437-464A-A88C-76B87C2E8BB9.jpeg
B1A51F85-F120-4B6C-9181-3D0711196189.jpeg
9F2FCEC7-6D14-4CA7-93A8-136BB102CE1D.jpeg
8B4F7680-7F51-421B-AA1E-4B23404C5717.jpeg

I also pulled the aftermarket door weatherstripping and replaced with stuff from the salvage yard. Aftermarket stuff was just too thick and couldn’t get the doors to close properly.

I did a little work to get rid of the side curtain wind noise but yeah, this is ALOT quieter. I can have music on AND carry on a conversation at hiway speeds.

I haven’t decided how to finish off the roof, I’ll probably just trim it up…maybe.

Last edited:
Posting my recent compression tests. Running 120 or so on most with a couple at about 150. I’d like better but whatever…it is what it is.
25E0A8AE-694E-43B6-B49B-A3B1351267BC.jpeg
92C88B3E-ECF6-415B-9C60-CC2C1477DA8E.jpeg
2BBACCFC-208F-4D42-ACE6-4F49A9911793.jpeg
DE9ED12D-BF9A-4C7A-BBBB-C0969D1B3E1C.jpeg
445862A1-A2A9-4D28-9D50-97FE5AAE7603.jpeg
FE8A1316-6EFA-4500-8A1F-2A3C31BEFBE4.jpeg
CB56DAEF-E58B-4319-B3AD-C1925E547C77.jpeg

Attachments

• B56BC8EC-135A-4247-8AEB-647CE8F55057.jpeg
    B56BC8EC-135A-4247-8AEB-647CE8F55057.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 131
Update on mine, got me a tank, real cruddy inside what’s the best way to clean. Have all the parts for the 440 including the shorty headers. Picked up a 94 van with the overdrive trans. Later on in the summer I’ll cut the bell to graft on the big block bell. The van has a 9-1/4 but has the big bolt pattern, not sure how to change that yet. Slowly accumulating parts.

Back