• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1979 Dodge Lil Red Express Truck Restoration

I got the sway bar links on, the bushing seemed a bit big and the hole too small. And since I already had the rod attached, I just cut the bushing and put it on. I was surprised how much the bushing compressed once I started to tighten the bolts.
IMG_9297a.jpg

EDIT: I just noticed that I have them 'backwards' from how they are from the factory...not sure if it'll make a difference and not sure if I want to go back in and change them.

Last edited:
I'm going to be annoying and post an update almost every time I do something but I'm really psyched that it's finally come to this moment.

I pulled a marathon session on Saturday until 3:30am. Got the driver side stacks lined up and drilled in the holes for the mounting brackets. The door is just sitting in there with tape around the A pillar to keep it in, just wanted to see how it looked. I should have the doors and hood on tomorrow. Still need to work on the alignment a little, I've got the front on jack stands so it may look a little high. Rear's probably going to sit high for now because it's got a W250 rear spring set in.
IMG_9359.JPG

I spent much of the afternoon finishing up the wiring for the interior and replacing the bulbs. The red dash lamps are actually LED's. I got 6 for $17. I only needed 4 and wanted to do the left guages but it uses a different bulb. I may just modify what's there to use what LED's I have. I also took out the blue covers and it really brightens up the regular lamp lighting.

I went with red to continue with the 'Red Nite Express' theme.
IMG_9358.JPG

I also got some LED cab running lights to replace the ones that were on it to save me from having to fill the holes. However, running the wiring is going to be a nightmare because I was stupid and took out what was in there (I wasn't going to put running lights back on).

IMG_9358.JPG

running the wires for the cab lights is easy....a coat hanger, run the wire from the sun visor hole, and down the A pillar. Not bad at all. Great progress.

Thanks, maybe if I was doing a genuine Lil Red, but above my pay scale for my Lil Blue.....:moparsmiley:

This week was fighting with some driveability issues.
  • Idle fine but no power and pings under acceleration
  • Couldn't get idle down to a reasonable speed
  • Dies when putting it into gear
Found out that my carb wasn't tight enough, duh. That immediately brought down the idle speed and then I had to adjust the enrichment screws to a richer mixture. Also the vacuum advance was up against the firewall and couldn't advance the timing anymore but it sounds like I can just shift the plug wires over one on the distributor. Maybe I didn't have them in the right tower to begin with...

Timing on a 318????? - Mopar Forums

Looks like I failed to upload a couple pictures last fall. Got my windshield in and got the engine running good enough to drive around the neighborhood.
IMG_5465_Original.jpg
IMG_5470_Original.jpg
IMG_9517.jpg

With spring here, and my other vehicular projects (mostly) complete, I've started back on the truck. This year's focus is getting the carb all dialed in and re-align all the front-end body parts.

I did get it started and idles pretty good but I think it just keeps dumping fuel into the engine until it floods. I had some leaking but that's because I've had the carb on and off several times since I rebuild it back in 2014 and the base gasket was no longer sealing. I also ordered a new set of throttle and bowl cover gaskets because I want to go in and double check my rebuild work (I used the brass floats and I feel like one of them isn't closing).
IMG_0509.jpg
IMG_0508.jpg
IMG_0507.jpg

I know it will get better...but I like the way the truck looks now! Seems like I've almost always had a multi colored vehicle.I kinda miss it.

I know it will get better...but I like the way the truck looks now! Seems like I've almost always had a multi colored vehicle.I kinda miss it.
Yeah, we do too. It's going to probably stay this way most of the summer. In the end it'll be the satin black similar to the doors with a custom red decal (Red Nite Express). I think however, I'm leaving the tailgate as is.

Back