• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

what gas mileage?

Back then we didnt have all the extra weight for safety all the emissions BS all the wiring etc. Take all that mess out and MPG will jump.

I keep forgetting this site has other makes on it also not just dodges.

Maybe but the fullsize is still heavier and has more liters. I myself think it is a result of poor engineering. Either they change the gearing or use older style motors.
My buddy had a Dodge 2500 extended cab that also got 13 mpg somewhere around a 2006yr. So why does the lighter Dak get the same?

I hate emissions but thats no excuse for loss of power. If the dodge van with v-6 has almost 300hp and gets better mileage then they screwed up somewhere making the dakotas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn you guys post so fast everyone is getting confused. I didn't know dakota offered the 5.9 I thought it was a 5.2 or some smaller v-8.

Yeah I know.

The mpg in my mind is just technology. The 5.2-5.9 is same old school technology. Just with crappy fuel injection slapped on it. Everything pretty much swaps from LA to magnum engines.

The 5.4 is a newer modular engine with new technology.

Yeah R/T dakotas have a 5.9 and a crappy auto with 3.92 gears, some quad cabs could also get toe 5.9s.

Most rams I see have 3.55s that makes some difference.

Back then we didnt have all the extra weight for safety all the emissions BS all the wiring etc. Take all that mess out and MPG will jump.
But they have better control over the engine, fuel delivery/ timing etc. so they should be able to tweak the mileage out of them better.

What 96, a Dak? Probably not, but it still is no slug for a stock Mini Van. I had a 1986 Caravan V6 that use to get 30+mpg, lighter van and less power than the Toyota. These manufacturers now brag about some of their cars getting 30mpg. It is such crap. My 65 Belvedere /6 3 on the tree got 25.A few of the late 70's cars got close to 50.
Yes, dak....... Supercharged too......hehehe and if I don't romp it, I get almost 20mpg.......

If I lightly drive mine I am talking very lightly I get max of 15 or so. city.

If it was up to me I would say screw the injectors and electronic timing. What is wrong with a carbuerator.

Alright I said 5.4 as in the ford you mean there is a dodge one too?

But they have better control over the engine, fuel delivery/ timing etc. so they should be able to tweak the mileage out of them better.
Bullshit........... Buddy of mine dyno'd his pretty well stock dak, was running almost 10:1 a/f at WOT..... Stock tune....... How's that for economy? Not toogreat......

If it was up to me I would say screw the injectors and electronic timing. What is wrong with a carbuerator.

Alright I said 5.4 as in the ford you mean there is a dodge one too?

It got very confusing there for a min.

No 3.9 5.2 5.9 3.7 4.7 5.7 6.1 3.9 and 3.7 are v6s

Dakotas got the 3.9 5.2 5.9 3.7 4.7 engines. Rams got all except the 6.1

Last edited:
Bullshit........... Buddy of mine dyno'd his pretty well stock dak, was running almost 10:1 a/f at WOT..... Stock tune....... How's that for economy? Not toogreat......

JTEC pcm isnt very good. Dodge runs them rich for some reason.

If it was up to me I would say screw the injectors and electronic timing. What is wrong with a carbuerator. Alright I said 5.4 as in the ford you mean there is a dodge one too?
I agree with ya on the carb issue..... A tuner for a carb is $2 at any hardware store..... None of the $400+ tuner bullshit....

Back