• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hello

Remember, high 500 hp with the smog bottom end and some simple bolt ons, I'll take an RV 440 any day.
I know exactly what you can get out of a big block , smog or not . You sound a lil grumpy Mob , What's up ? Talk to uncle Bear . :)

You are getting real close to $100 oil changes with 10 qt and 1 filter or will that be 2 filters?

Got a old artical from one off the old guys circle track racer that says 600 on a cast crank is still reliable and it can be built without a lot of fancy high dollor engine parts.
Just plain good old precision machine work.

Mobs been looking for a 440 I think

You are getting real close to $100 oil changes with 10 qt and 1 filter or will that be 2 filters?

Got a old artical from one off the old guys circle track racer that says 600 on a cast crank is still reliable and it can be built without a lot of fancy high dollor engine parts.
Just plain good old precision machine work.

Mobs been looking for a 440 I think
Your right , Oil change's are pricey . Especially were I run a racing oil because of the zinc ( ZDDP ). Just one filter for now . I don't need an article . I "am" one of those old guy's . Except I like to say "ole" . lol and I was into the drags . I was the guy everybody went to , to go fast and win race's . I hear yah on what's possible with a cast crank motor . Hell the big block lil red I had was a cast crank motor and the best time's with that was in the 12's and I drove that truck back and forth to work everyday . What I don't agree with is the money people are trying to get for these motors . I was just trying to give him some helpful hint's on how to make one stronger . I'd also watch out how much I punched one of those out . Personally I wouldn't go more then about 30 over . They have thinner cylinder walls then say the earlier blocks . Just been around the block once or twice and giving my two cents to help out , that's all . You don't need a ton of money to make a big block Mopar go , you just have to know were to spend it .

I know I have a set of old heads that have a small fortune in them.
Had them worked on for a BB years ago. They made power them and hopefully will again some day. Everything else is a matter of round, true and plenty of oil. Also some 130 octane to keep it together.

I know I have a set of old heads that have a small fortune in them.
Had them worked on for a BB years ago. They made power them and hopefully will again some day. Everything else is a matter of round, true and plenty of oil. Also some 130 octane to keep it together.
Oh don't even get me started on the fuel at the pumps nowadays . It's crap , plain and simple . I started doing a custom blend last season . I think I got just the right mix towards the end . I'll know for sure if I have to tweak it a lil more next month when it's time to bring the Warlock back out and refuel it . But as the mix is now , I get better mileage ( which adds up to less money ) , It's better for the motor , and the performance level raised significantly towards the end of the season last year . Luci's a happy camper since I started that . lol I'm going to try another blend on the Coronet after I get the motor in and set up and dialed in as well and see what kind of improvement's I get with that . I kind of feel like a mad scientist . lol

I know exactly what you can get out of a big block , smog or not . You sound a lil grumpy Mob , What's up ? Talk to uncle Bear . :)
I'm just saying I'll take what others consider junk, not you necessicarly. I've heard that RV engines are bad and no good for a power build. Bullshit, you can make all kinds of power on that stock bottom end and spend that mmoney where it needs to go. Will it hold up as long as an engine with better parts? Maybe not, but the money I save can go towards a different build.

AND, I have a friend who finds all kinds of crap on Craigslist that got me this lead:

00f0f_2A0pqrDjDIo_600x450.jpg

Its a 78 RV 440. For $200! Talked to the seller, it's his kids and he was going to put it in a derby car but at the last minute they swapped in a 318. Smart choice for a derby car. The bottom end was rebuild before his kid got it and they had it running right before the switch. It will just be a setup engine for my big block swap in my Dart. I'm not grumpy, I might have been a little tired. Been a long 2 weeks of works, grandkids, and anything else that the world can throw at me. And I'm not done yet!

Yah see , Now that's a good deal ! Cast or no cast , It's a running big block that you can work with ! I'm happy for you Mob , No bull ! :)

Yah see , Now that's a good deal ! Cast or no cast , It's a running big block that you can work with ! I'm happy for you Mob , No bull ! :)
Telly girlfriend to be happy about it. Her response, "why do you need that?" Why thank you for your concern, dear.

I found another for 500 with a transmission still in the car if this one falls through. Says it's gotta plenty of balls. Never seen that in an ad before.

Telly girlfriend to be happy about it. Her response, "why do you need that?" Why thank you for your concern, dear.
Yah see that's were I'm lucky in a way . I've got three motors going not counting the one that's in the Warlock . On the stands are the RB motor I'm doing for the Coronet , Her 68 383 on another one , and a 5.9 Mag motor that I have future plans for on the other stand . And I'm trying to go look at a pair of 440's for future builds and my wife's response to that is "Your going to need two more engine stands" . lol So I guess I'm lucky that I married a gearhead that even though she's a pain in my but sometimes , she understands the way my warped mind works ( or at least try's too . lol ) .

I found another for 500 with a transmission still in the car if this one falls through. Says it's gotta plenty of balls. Never seen that in an ad before.
Might be worth checking out anyways . You never know ! What year is it ?

Laura always tries to have any purchase justified, which doesn't work well for my parts collecting. Why do I need intakes that I'll use for a while and then not sell when done? Why not. I hope to have them displayed somehow when I build a new garage. They are just cool. I still have to get the Edelbrock NASCAR "bathtub" intake I missed out on years back. It was a giveaway at $250. And I had the cash...

I should have just gotten it yesterday and screwed the kid over, seller didn't care. That's what I get for being polite. I'll get one soon.

Laura always tries to have any purchase justified, which doesn't work well for my parts collecting. Why do I need intakes that I'll use for a while and then not sell when done? Why not. I hope to have them displayed somehow when I build a new garage. They are just cool. I still have to get the Edelbrock NASCAR "bathtub" intake I missed out on years back. It was a giveaway at $250. And I had the cash...
Tell her that your a collector of fine Mopar history . ;)

I should have just gotten it yesterday and screwed the kid over, seller didn't care. That's what I get for being polite. I'll get one soon.
Get a hold of that other guy with the $500 one . Bring cash and a trailer and take the whole car if you have too . You can always give the body to your scrap buddy , or even part it out depending on what it is . "Keep calling !"

Back