• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hello

7mopar

Reaction score
It has been an unusual week from the upper 50's to 2 degress. Must have taken a toll in truck land nothing new for 2 days. Just waiting for the thaw. Keep warm everone.

I'm in parts acquisition mode, which leads to money acquisition mode, which leads to planning mode, but when the thaw does come, I go right to screw-off mode for some strange reason.

This time of year I can't do much out in the garage because there's no heat or insulation . I've been getting some stuff ready in the basement to install in the Warlock . It's still not the always the warmest down there . But it's a lot better then the garage right now . lol When I have the first phase ready , I'll fire up the forced hot air heater I have and go out there and do the install . But depending on the temp out side , the garage will only stay warm for about 30 to 45 min's before I have to fire it up again and it's "loud" . That's why I just don't leave it running the whole time I'm out there .

I thought maybe you had been busy moving snow bear.
I have a wood stove and a propane buddy heater for the shop and can keep it comfortable if it was not so full of stuff. Can not use the wood stove because of a car being parked to close to it and need to do some more cleaning before there is space to light the buddy. It will heat 1500 s.f. and will easly heat the 24x24 shop. Just need to get busy and build more storage. The shop was built to work in but the neighbors had different ideas.

I thought maybe you had been busy moving snow bear.
I have a wood stove and a propane buddy heater for the shop and can keep it comfortable if it was not so full of stuff. Can not use the wood stove because of a car being parked to close to it and need to do some more cleaning before there is space to light the buddy. It will heat 1500 s.f. and will easly heat the 24x24 shop. Just need to get busy and build more storage. The shop was built to work in but the neighbors had different ideas.
The only major snow we've gotten so far this season was last Saturday morning till wee hours Sunday morning where we got about a foot and a half . Other then that we've only got a few inch's here and a few inch's there . Not enough to keep me busy or make much money at it . But it's been bitter cold and I hate the cold in my ole age . For some reason this year I got wicked spring fever for some reason . I'm counting the days . lol I "wish" I had real heat & insulation in the garage . This seasons to-do list for the Warlock would be at least half done by now . It's supposed to get above freezing for a couple of days later this week . I might go out there and peck at a couple of things . I've also been on the hunt for a reasonably price running big block for the Coronet . But no luck so far and I'm getting frustrated . I wanted to get that swap done by early to late spring . :(

7mopar, neighbors can suck, isn't awesome how they think your life should be? I'm lucky in my neighbors don't seem to care. I try to be polite with music volume late at night, but I still run my compressor with the doors open during summer hours. The closest neighbor can't hear anything while theybsleep so I'm good to go!

bear, a reasonably priced RUNNING engine? I'm on the hunt too, only to find everyone in the last 2 years thinks they are worth well over $1000 for a 76 440 out of grandpa's old Winnebago. Cheapest I have found is $800 for an RV 440. They used to give those away around here. If I ever find one before too long I'll look for its sibling and send it to you! I've given up hope and have mentally prepared for the cost of a rebuild. I just wanted a running engine for my Dart so I can sort it out BEFORE I build an engine for it. Oh well, guess it's going to be over the top before it even gets underway!

7mopar, neighbors can suck, isn't awesome how they think your life should be? I'm lucky in my neighbors don't seem to care. I try to be polite with music volume late at night, but I still run my compressor with the doors open during summer hours. The closest neighbor can't hear anything while theybsleep so I'm good to go
I live on kind of a main drag . The neighbors are close , to close for my comfort . But it's where we live and I deal with it . No-one really bug's me and everybody in town seems to know me and the house . Doesn't mean I know them , but they know me . lol Probably because they never know what's going to be in my garage or driveway at any given point . It could be some sick Mopar looking like it's ready to tear up any street or track to a truck that's a mile high and looking like it'll clime a mountain . lol I've sat there and watched them at times as people drive by the ole house and it's become a pattern as they drive by . As they come down the road , they brake , there heads turn towards the driveway , they look , then they look straight and step on the gas again . This happens with pretty much every other car or truck that go's by the house . I kind of think of it as "what's going on in the latest episode of Bears garage" . lol The one's that live close to me pretty much leave me alone and let me do my thing . But I try not to be making to much noise when it's wicked early on weekends or to late at night . Late at night when we're coming in from a test hit or something , I try to come in and get it in the garage as quick as I can . So that I'm not sitting out there idling and have it eco all over the neighborhood .

bear, a reasonably priced RUNNING engine? I'm on the hunt too, only to find everyone in the last 2 years thinks they are worth well over $1000 for a 76 440 out of grandpa's old Winnebago. Cheapest I have found is $800 for an RV 440. They used to give those away around here. If I ever find one before too long I'll look for its sibling and send it to you! I've given up hope and have mentally prepared for the cost of a rebuild. I just wanted a running engine for my Dart so I can sort it out BEFORE I build an engine for it. Oh well, guess it's going to be over the top before it even gets underway!
Tell me about it . I went to look at a Chrysler parts car with a 440 . Parts car mind you ! The car was junk except he had got the 440 freed up and got it to start . But when I got there he had already started taking stuff off of the motor , so I couldn't hear it run . The car had been sitting for "years" and you could tell . He wanted $2700 for it ! He said the motor alone was worth about a grand to fifteen hundred . Needless to say I didn't get the car "or" the motor . I keep seeing the same engines on Craigslist for stupid money saying either locked up or "did" run when pulled with nothing to back it up . It kills me because I just sold two running big blocks a few years back for $500 each . Now that I'm looking for one , Well good luck to me . Can you tell , I'm getting "really" frustrated ? lol

Tell me about it . I went to look at a Chrysler parts car with a 440 . Parts car mind you ! The car was junk except he had got the 440 freed up and got it to start . But when I got there he had already started taking stuff off of the motor , so I couldn't hear it run . The car had been sitting for "years" and you could tell . He wanted $2700 for it ! He said the motor alone was worth about a grand to fifteen hundred . Needless to say I didn't get the car "or" the motor . I keep seeing the same engines on Craigslist for stupid money saying either locked up or "did" run when pulled with nothing to back it up . It kills me because I just sold two running big blocks a few years back for $500 each . Now that I'm looking for one , Well good luck to me . Can you tell , I'm getting "really" frustrated ? lol
Crazy money is what they want. And crazy you sold those engines. I have 1 running, 1 ran when pulled, 1 froze up and 1 core short block and 3 bare blocks and I'm not letting go of any of them. Buy an $800 piece of who knows what, I'll spend more money, wait even longer than I want, and build one my way. I'm gonna chance it with the ran when pulled one and throw an intake, water pump and maybe my .484 purple shaft I picked up. I should go turn it over to make sure it still does! Wish my Stealth heads were fixed, I'd throw those on too. Damn, I need to work a ton of OT to get this done!

I have one in the MH running, one complete in storage to rebuild and one setting in a RR not running to rebuild. None are going anywhere. I have had them along time no need to get ride of them and presently no need to buy more. I thought prices were crazy when reman short blocks were at 2500 and that has been awhile.

I did a quick tally on what I've spent on intake manifolds over the last year or two:

1. Edelbrock STR-14 with 4bbl top and 6bbl top - $900
2. Indy Max Wedge Tunnel Ram with 500-600 Edelbrock carbs, 2 broken bolt holes (easy fix) and linkage - $750 (I think this was a really good deal for me)
3. Weiand Cross Ram with 6bbl top and Mechanical carbs for racing with linkage - $2000
4. Edelbrock Performer RPM - $200
5. Sonoramic Cross Ram with old Carter carbs (not correct for intake) and linkage pivot - $1000
6. Weiand Cross Ram with 6bbl top and street carbs with linkage - $1500

Sooo, I did the math and realized I could have built a pretty stout engine for what I spent on these intake manifolds. I'm taking @Polara500 advice and quitting cold turkey! I will be getting the balance tube for the Sonoramic, but that is all, unless I come across the linkage for a decent price.

Now I need to spec out an engine for the Dart, and one for my W200. The Dart will get the engine from the motorhome sitting next to it, if it turns over. It's only for setup purposes so it will be coming out regardless. The truck, I want that engine to be bulletproof, and dont plan to tske it out once installed. But as with everything, we will have to wait and see. I should be able to build 1 engine this year, Dart or Truck?

I say Truck, but since my Swinger burned up in a shop fire I haven't looked seriously at any A body, (well, other than this cute little 65 Dart Convertible that shows up to local shows). So I'm a little prejudiced.

I would never have guessed by looking at the vehicles in your yard. well, it depends on where I look!

Now I need to spec out an engine for the Dart, and one for my W200. The Dart will get the engine from the motorhome sitting next to it, if it turns over. It's only for setup purposes so it will be coming out regardless. The truck, I want that engine to be bulletproof, and dont plan to tske it out once installed. But as with everything, we will have to wait and see. I should be able to build 1 engine this year, Dart or Truck?
It depends . Do you want to go fast or do you want to go anywhere ?

I prefure far and fast. But if not real careful it can cause big problems. An American Autobon would be ideal. With the 3.23's installed my RT like to cruze at 95 the 4.10's keep me in a much more realistic 65.

LocuMob are those all RB intakes?

I prefure far and fast. But if not real careful it can cause big problems. An American Autobon would be ideal. With the 3.23's installed my RT like to cruze at 95 the 4.10's keep me in a much more realistic 65.
Yeah , I hear yah and I love going long distance and going into turns at high rate of speeds . But there's a reason why I don't build a long distance rod for myself and I've stuck to 1/8 and 1/4 mile rides . I know me and I value my CDL license . :rolleyes:

Yeah , I hear yah and I love going long distance and going into turns at high rate of speeds . But there's a reason why I don't build a long distance rod for myself and I've stuck to 1/8 and 1/4 mile rides . I know me and I value my CDL license . :rolleyes:
I got the RT on a 1/2 mile oval one night with the wife in the car. That was a mistake as she would not talk to me for a few days and was really quite ticked.
Really have no idea how fast we were going but it did not feel like we were going to fall off the banks anymore.

Well that's one way to get a lil piece and quiet ! ;) lol

Back