• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

D100 Turbo Pet Project

i am nearly in the same boat planning to install a 91 42 h in my D200 the main modification wil be to have 2 separate toggle switch for the lockup and overdrive. which is easily doable. check this PATC Dodge Performance Transmissions, 46RE, 47RE, 48RE, 68RFE
Yeah a toggle switch is easy, that's basically all there is to the O/D button (no ECU dependency). I just rather have the lockup controlled by some kinda circuit that energized either when the trans is higher than 2nd gear or is going high enough speed that it'd easily be in 3rd or 4th gear. That way if I'm cruising down the highway it'd engage and save some gas, or if I'm going down the hill and the engine is near idle it'll also be engaged and make the engine control my speed. Sure the stock ECU would control all that, and according to that one post all the wiring is there to just hookup the lockup to the ECU (if not already equipped), but if I hop up the engine when I drop it in a power wagon then I may as well just go ECU-delete.

ALTHOUGH
, after going back to read the Hemmings article they also shared a fix for this in the last paragraph:
"Install a vacuum switch and two oil pressure switches, which allows the overdrive to engage before releasing torque-converter lockup. PATC's design calls for installing a 7-pound normally open vacuum switch, similar to those used to drive an hour meter, to a direct hot wire (with an inline fuse) off of the ignition switch. The hot wire out of this vacuum switch will run to the center pin of the three-pin connector. The vacuum switch will allow you to engage the torque converter lockup and the overdrive solenoid, if engine vacuum has reached seven pounds. It will also disengage both when you kick the throttle up and engine vacuum drops below 3 pounds. This allows you to revert back to third gear to pass a car or help the vehicle negotiate a hill. If you install two oil pressure switches, this will fine-tune the speeds at which the torque converter lockup engages (this keeps the transmission running cooler) and when the overdrive solenoid engages. These are installed in a pipe tee in the governor pressure tap, which has a pipe plug in this hole from the factory. This is on the passenger side of the transmission case, on a thick mounting rib, just below the upper tail shaft mounting bolt."

Trans Adpters has drawings and kits available for the early hydraulic od units. Last time I looked were even reasonsbe in price.

I have been looking for some time for an A518 46RH to put in a D350 with short shaft trans, bolt on yoke, two piece drive shaft with slip joint.
Can not believe this trans was not used in 91 - 93 D350s.
The 47RH from the V10 and diesels are not compatible.
I find this a stupid mistake on the part of Dodge engineering.

I have been looking for some time for an A518 46RH to put in a D350 with short shaft trans, bolt on yoke, two piece drive shaft with slip joint.
Can not believe this trans was not used in 91 - 93 D350s.
The 47RH from the V10 and diesels are not compatible.
I find this a stupid mistake on the part of Dodge engineering.
Yeah idk why they were designed that way. I could understand if they were designed around the diesels if the diesels mount different, since Dodge just partners with them for the engines, but it applies to the V10s as well and last I checked those were based off the 5.9L blocks and just have 2 more cylinders tacked on. That was my understanding, so idk why they mount differently.

Im just glad the 518s have a lockup option, now just hoping they fit a power wagon tunnel.

they should fit they were in RAMCHARGER as well and they 've got the same floor pan.

they should fit they were in RAMCHARGER as well and they 've got the same floor pan.
Except we're talkin about 12 years or so difference between the year pickup I'd like and the year of the truck my trans would come out of, enough time to enact mild design differences

Buddy of mine done the conversion in a 1979 RAMCHARGER years ago it's why i know tranny fit .

He was involved with a crossmember swap as i remember because of the size of 518/np241 not big deal if you have the right crossmember and front / rear shaft from the donor vehicle.

46rh241.JPG

Nope just a Ramcharger the crossmember was swapped because the truck was 2wd

Not much difference on cabs 73 to 93. There were differences but nothing substantial. Bigger difference was cabs for automatic and manual trans trucks. Them the only real difference was the trans hump.

Not much difference on cabs 73 to 93. There were differences but nothing substantial. Bigger difference was cabs for automatic and manual trans trucks. Them the only real difference was the trans hump.
How exactly would the manual and auto cabs differ? You would think the ONLY functional difference is shifter location, steering collar vs trans tunnel. At that, it would make sense if they were all just manufactured the same with the shifter hole simply cutout for manuals, or like you mentioned earlier, have all manufactured with tunnel hole and a screw-in plate put in place for the auto cabs.

Back to my latest concern, I was curious whether or not a Dakota crossmember would fit or if I needed one like from a ramcharger. I'd prefer to salvage what functional parts I could from my Dakota, for sentimental sake but also for some money-savings (might not make sense to get sentimental over a rig, but compared to everything else others my age started driving with it ran like a trooper and gave me little to no problems for its age).

Last edited:
an auto matic steering column will have the shift lever near the steering wheel. a manual will not. you have to get rid of the clutch pedal as well and if you go for 518 it will be better.

If you go thst route don't forget the auto dash. The selector indicator is in it for the auto column.
If you get real lucky and find one with a cargo light it is real close in size to the overdrive switch in a Dakota.
There are some good build threads on the form you may want to look at in the four wheel section.

If you go thst route don't forget the auto dash. The selector indicator is in it for the auto column.
If you get real lucky and find one with a cargo light it is real close in size to the overdrive switch in a Dakota.
There are some good build threads on the form you may want to look at in the four wheel section.
So manual cab, auto steering column, auto dash. Got it. As for the overdrive switch, I may have to think of a replacement switch. The stock one is getting pretty worn out, gotta press it way hard to trigger.

As for looking for other build threads, there were only a few that came up in my search even remotely related:
One day soon the Power Wagon is Next!
Dads ol dodge
4WD Front Axle Questions

Back