• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cummins Crew Cab Build

Hey Mob , You ever think about getting rid of the tank in the cab and mounting one under it ? Maybe even use a Ramcharger tank all the way back between the frame rails ? That would be 30 plus gallons of fuel and the added weight in the back would only help . It would be a win , win . Just a thought .
I have, but why do more work than necessary. The tank is good and the spare was pretty nice when I took it out, real clean inside. For what I'll be doing the inside tank is fine. Just curious, what capacity is the inside tank is?

I have, but why do more work than necessary. The tank is good and the spare was pretty nice when I took it out, real clean inside. For what I'll be doing the inside tank is fine. Just curious, what capacity is the inside tank is?
Don't know and to each his own . But the thought of driving around with a gas tank right behind me in the cab wouldn't be high on my list as a benefit . Not to mention the fumes inside the cab . Plus putting the tank all the way back would be a good spot for the added weight for traction . We all know that pick-up's are normally light in the rear to begin with . But it was just a thought and it wouldn't be that hard or expensive to do . You'd just have to figure out were you where going to put the filler tube . There's a couple of place's on your truck you could put it .

Don't know and to each his own . But the thought of driving around with a gas tank right behind me in the cab wouldn't be high on my list as a benefit . Not to mention the fumes inside the cab . Plus putting the tank all the way back would be a good spot for the added weight for traction . We all know that pick-up's are normally light in the rear to begin with . But it was just a thought and it wouldn't be that hard or expensive to do . You'd just have to figure out were you where going to put the filler tube . There's a couple of place's on your truck you could put it .
I've never noticed any fumes inside the cab, and what's in the tank now is got a strong odor when you open the cap, so the fume issue isn't a problem, for now. The truck is going to be a poodle dressed as a Hell hound, a wimpy (ok, not so wimpy) on road show toy. That's what I'm aiming for. Sure it'll be capable of doing most anything, but it never will live up to it's billing. This is the first vehicle I actually thought about making a show poodle, so the weight thing isn't an issue either. Then you gotta bring up filler necks and what not! If I do end up going with a tank in the frame, I do have another box I could use, or I'd at least have a filler neck to graft in when the time comes. But then I'd chop up a perfectly good bed, and I don't want to do that. As for a fuel cell type setup, that would work but I'd need a ladder to get to the box to fill it up.

Yah see that's the problem with me . Even if I build a show poodle , It's really a hell hound in disguise and ready to pounce at any time . lol As for the filler spot , That's something I've been going back and forth with , with my truck . I do plan on putting a tank all the way back between the frame rails . But were to put the filler neck ? Mine's a short bed so just moving the factory one behind the fender isn't going to work for me , at least not "and" look good anyways . Then I thought about a flush mount with a fuel door in the back side of the rear fender so that you don't really see it . The easiest would be inside the bed . But then do I want it seen ? Or do I want to hide it under a panel or something like that ? I also thought about putting it behind the rear plate . The only problem with that is , If I get this darn truck to hook up the way I want it to , then I see all the fuel coming out from behind the license plate when I launch . Not a good thing ! lol Decisions , decisions . lol

Put a ventless cap on it and vent the tank form the front. No gas comes out that way on acceleration. Just remenber to put the flow valve in the vent line to retain fuel on decell.

Put a ventless cap on it and vent the tank form the front. No gas comes out that way on acceleration. Just remenber to put the flow valve in the vent line to retain fuel on decell.
I've thought of doing something on the lines of that If I went the plate rout . But If I remember right , the other issue was that the filler would end up lower then the top of the tank . Unless I lowered the mounting on the tank . But I want it as up in there as possible . More then likely when I get to the point of installing a rear tank ( weather it be a Ramcharger tank or a cell ) , I'm going to have the filler in the floor of the bed . As to how I hide it ( If I do ) , well I've got a couple of ideas .

Sorry Indy , If we kind of got side tracked on your build thread . Didn't mean anything , just us gear heads bouncing ideas around . I'm sure you know what I mean . ;)

I want to get my crew cab on the road this year, but then I'd have to fix all the exhaust and brakes, then do it again for the big block.:( Get axles and lift kit this year maybe?

Sorry Indy , If we kind of got side tracked on your build thread . Didn't mean anything , just us gear heads bouncing ideas around . I'm sure you know what I mean . ;)
NP there. Good reading for me as I'm considering this also. I have a rear tank from a dual tank truck I was going to use but having a hard time finding a sending unit for it. Want to move some weight to the back as the diesel is adding to the front end.
I was considering moving the filler neck to the rear of bed right behind the fender. Truck is going to be tall so don't want to have to open the tailgate every time I gotta fill.

Did manage to get some paint on the frame this weekend so another step forward. Can start bending up some brake lines now and do a little bit of reassembly.

We gain a few and we lose a few. We haven't heard from Cindy for a week or two. Hope everything is ok in the far NW.

Back