• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cummins Crew Cab Build

secret indy

Reaction score
This is my current project I'm working on. I won't call it a restoration becuase it's definately not. First off, I'm starting with an 83 ex police crew cab s/b 4x4.
IMG_2329.jpg
It's got a 318 A/T,205tc with dana 60/60

IMG_2329.jpg

The donor truck is a 93 W250 5.9 cummins powered 4wd. Was apparently used at a mine. Definitely not pretty but had all the pcs required.
088.jpg

088.jpg

This is the part that will hopefully make my cummins crew a little different from the rest being built out there. Not saying it hasn't been done, just haven't seen one.
017 (2).jpg
Found it on the local Kijiji site. Was a 4hr drive one way to get to it but well worth it. The guy also threw in a set of doors, 2 sets of extra stepside fenders, extra tailgate, extra font panel, a set of front fenders, a mint 78 grill and a few other misc pcs.

017 (2).jpg

First order of business was getting everything stripped. Didn't take much for pictures during this process as not much to see.
010.jpg
The only thing actually getting used from the 83 is the frame itself.

010.jpg

Last edited:
Once everything was removed from the frame I dragged it to work and gave it a quick sand blast so I would have a clean frame to work on.
014.jpg

014.jpg

The front end was the first to get swapped out. The axles from the diesel truck will be going into this frame as well as a suspension lift.
These are the springs I'm going to be using. Fronts are 8" Skyjackers and backs are from an 03 silverado that have been rearched.
027 (3).jpg
The front are a straight forward swap but the back requires spring mounts being relocated.

027 (3).jpg

The rear spring hangers got removed and cleaned up while it was apart and then got new urethane bushings installed.
017.jpg

Before:
064.jpg

After:
070.jpg

017.jpg

064.jpg

070.jpg

While working on the front end I decided to change the front cross member. It's seen it's fair share of abuse.
011 (2).jpg

I got a new one from a friend of mine. A 2wd version. I cut the strut mounts off and welded in a couple stiffeners to help keep the flexing to a minimum.
004 (4).jpg
014 (3).jpg

You can see the difference in the thickness between the two
013 (3).jpg

011 (2).jpg

004 (4).jpg

014 (3).jpg

013 (3).jpg

For some reason when it came to the back I forgot all about taking pictures so I only have a couple.
All stripped including spring hangers.
011.jpg

Back together:
013.jpg
015 (2).jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

015 (2).jpg

You "finally" got a build tread going ! :clap2: What did you get tired of me asking you question about it ? :lol: ...... Look'in good so far ! Keep me ( I mean us ) posted ! :thumb:

Yeh that's the word of the day..." finally ". lol. Sometimes a person needs a little push just to get things rollin. Gunna try and post a little bit each night till I get caught up to where I am currently at in the build.

While I had it at work I figured I'd have a look at the back brakes. Fronts were all good so I assumed the back shouldn't be too bad also. Wrong! The first one I pulled apart, half the parts fell right out.
010 (3).jpg

Only one thing to do, start from scratch. Stripped everything apart, sandblasted the backing plates and misc pcs, primed them and cleaned the axle up. Also ordered up new shoes, hardware kit, drums, bearings n seals.Now I know it's all good.
051.jpg
052.jpg
064 (2).jpg

010 (3).jpg

051.jpg

052.jpg

064 (2).jpg

Another thing I done while still there was to assemble the framing for the step side box to make sure everything was going to bolt up properly.
098.jpg

Everything looked good except the back cross member was too short. Thanks to Bear for some good pictures and info to help figure out what was missing. It was missing the supports on the bottom of it so I had a friend bend up a new channel deep enough to take up the gap.

098.jpg

Your doing good getting us caught up on the build "Secret Indy" ! Is that your shop that the rolling chassis is in ? I like it ! Looks like plenty of room to work . I wish mine was that big , I'm stuck in a two car garage and the drive way .

Thanks grey07 and bear. No bear that's not at home, that's my work. I'm very fortunate that both my bosses/owners are car guys and have no problem with me working on my stuff there. My one boss just picked up a 38 chevy pick up to do. Should be cool when its done.

It was time to take the frame home and start putting the pcs of the puzzle together to make sure everything is going to work. First thing to go on was the cab.105.jpg
106.jpg

The cab is from an 83 2wd long box truck i had picked up and parted out. I just wanted the cab.
iPone 223.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

iPone 223.jpg

Back