• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1979 Dodge Warlock

Yes bear you'd be right, I'm guessing now, but I THINK my 383 is getting CLOSE to what a 4 barrel Roadrunner 383 got for HP.... NOT sure on that, but I'm gonna say 300 HP if not more, Torque tho is WELL past the said Ft lbs that a 4 barrel 383 roadrunner got at 425 ft lbs... by a long shot, or so it feels like it (Maybe because of the trucks size?) I dunno. I just know the thing pull a freakin' house down! -Then, ya got my dumb ass wanting a Dodge W500? When my W200 is more then enough, but that BIG W500 would be so cool at shows, (Not sure I'll take the '67 to shows) its a work truck for me so..... The '58 or '59 W500 be a show truck if I had one.... just because!
Sounds like a stupid question but your 383 "is" a 383 and not a 361 , correct ? I know they stopped the 361 in 66 but in the industrial form they ran for more years .

Take it, who cares? You all told me to get my 72 W200 running as it is like a fire truck, it sure ain't pretty and it was a work truck.

Yeah, I know........... I want it to be "show worthy" before I go into any "shows" as all the local ones even the "Car Cruises" local to me have "judging" at the end of the night so..... SO having said that, I want something that at least stands a chance you know? -That being said, it just needs painted and I'd be good to go......

Sounds like a stupid question but your 383 "is" a 383 and not a 361 , correct ? I know they stopped the 361 in 66 but in the industrial form they ran for more years .

Yeah, its a 383...... I know that much on it. See, with the "stack" of paper work that came with the truck, when I got it, the Military ordered so many of the W200's with the 361 Industrial, (A really BIG order of those trucks with that engine, those were the "commoners") and then they ordered a smaller amount of them with the 383 Industrial engines in them (stated on my paper work) and then an even lesser amount with the 413 Industrial engine..... My truck from as much as I could stand to read on it from the G.I. order, was a "Retrieval Unit"...... NOT sure what that means exactly, BUT, it has bench seats, for up to 8 people inside (I have a lap belt for each person in it) Plus if you look the bed is much bigger then a civilian style Step-Side bed.... its 7.5 feet long! AND in the center of it, you can see where a machine gun pedestal (50 Cal?) was perched.... Double rail framed, meaning it has 4 frame rails! 2 outer ones hold the cab and bed, the 2 inner ones mount the engine and frame rails...The front bumper mounts to the 2 outer frame rails, the rear bumper mount to the 2 inner frame rails EACH bumper has its own 8,000 pound winch, (The rear one I have removed due needing re-wired).... In removing it, I noticed that the Pintle Hitch was literally, bolted 6 places up one frame one outer frame rail, spanned to the inner frame rail and welded BOTH sides of the frame AND bolted! The "tongue" or "receiver" of the Pintle is removable, that had FOUR 1.25 Diameter bolts to hold it to that plate mounted to the frame rails! THEN you have the wild-ass suspension, WHOLE other ball-game! The plates that the shackles would normally mount too? They have a "plate" that spans BOTH frame rails all 8 mounting areas of both front and rear leaf springs!

Because of the way this thing is built, its one, HEAVY, (8,300 lbs) 1/4 tank of fuel! AND it doesn't ride bad for its heavy stiff suspension "age" maybe? BUT off-roading is a one FUN time! You'd think for a "long" truck rock crawling and all that be a PITA, BUT not really, I've got all the skid plating removed from underside of it, since I bought it, but when I go "play" the day before they go back on it.......... Removing them for regular use gains me about 8 MPGs due to the stiffening and weight factor of the truck.

Dam ! I think I said this the first time I saw your truck . "It's a "beast" " and I was right ! Now that I know more information about it , I'd definitely go with doing something with the 383 that's in it and for colors now , either satin black ( just because it's mean ) or bring it back to it's roots kind of and go with a military look . either Khaki green or a dark camo . You could call it project overkill . lol

Dam ! I think I said this the first time I saw your truck . "It's a "beast" " and I was right ! Now that I know more information about it , I'd definitely go with doing something with the 383 that's in it and for colors now , either satin black ( just because it's mean ) or bring it back to it's roots kind of and go with a military look . either Khaki green or a dark camo . You could call it project overkill . lol
I actually like it just the way it is, kind of scruffy and ready for action. I'd keep it the way it is, but I'm also a cheap ass, might have something to do with it.

LOL Thanks guys!

Yeah the thing is a BEAST! AND a HEAVY one! See, I like the way it isl, BUT there are some places that the paint that was put on it in '70, is so faded that you can damn near see bare metal, NO rust as of yet, BUT thats what I'm fighting is the New England weather.... I run MOST the time in the winter for what it is! BUT to that, I like the idea of "bringing it back" BUT I also like the looks of it, as it is, BUT "refreshed".... AND..... I have 4 gallons of Hemi Orange paint that my Step-Son found for me. At a really good price, and that just leaves me to buy, the cream color for the top of it..... -I've thought about making that roof top Black, BUT I got NO A/C in it, SO, having said that, I'm NOT making the roof top black, period! LOL

Being what it is, and what and how I use it, a fresh coat of paint go a long ways to make it look as well as be "The Part"..... AND it allow me to "want" to drive it to shows and Car Cruises..... I have seen how the "guys" treat the others with Rat Rods and shit, and sadly, I wouldn't get nothing more them laughed out of the parking lot, Having it painted as the colors it currently is, WELL we'll see who's laughing when it shows up, all decked right the hell out!

ALSO the chrome thats on it? ALL that I have found (what little there is) is painted, aluminum. even the grille! The guy that owned it prior to me, had the grille stripped of its flat black, and painted flat white. (I guess this was common back then on these trucks!) And when I go to do it, I'm removing the paint, PERIOD and then gonna polish the ever-lovin' shit out of it! ALL of it, the entire sha-bang of chrome that it has, is gonna be polished..... -I've started on a little of it already....

Then to top it all off, I do plan to add in exhaust stacks, a chrome roll bar in the bed, and a cab visor. (I am putting on a lighted, polished Stainless Steel cab visor VENTED, only because, I do have issue driving in bright sun light, and it sure will help with the eyes!) A friend of mine is going to make this custom fit for me at a shop he works for, making frialators.... I plan to add the lighting to it on its edge!

Your truck does sound like a wicked beast I'd take it and show it off any way my warlock is really in need of a makeover but I still take it and have fun I mainly like going to bs with everyone lol

Yeah Wendall, I go to BS with the others myself, A LOT of them, that know me, knows I have the '67..... BUT only a couple that are good friends at this point has actually seen it, (Come by when I have it at home) so.... 1 or 2 of them, have been "against" it in rock crawls, or truck pulls which, WELL, thats a whole other story, and I have robbed this thread enough already (I know, I'm bad for it) so....

Anyway, heres the page mine is found on.... scoll down a little and you'll see it, in its "best" glory.... LOL

Show off your 4x4!

Went to a show Saturday and brought this home . :)
IMG_5304.JPG
IMG_5303.JPG

Congrats, the Warlock looks fantastic.
Thanks , It's getting there . I'm trying to do a little bit at a time as it ( what I call ) evolves into what I envision the final beast will be , and it's been fun and a pain in the but all at the same time .

Looking good and it's a good feeling when you get to take home a trophy for your efforts
Thanks , I didn't expect it at all , so it was a surprise when they called me to come up to get the trophy . I know it's only a piece of plastic and I don't go to shows expecting trophy's . But when I do get them , I really appreciate it that other people see what I've done so far and they like what they see .

Just kidding. Congrats on taking home some hardware. Must of buffed it out before you went!
Thanks , believe it or not It's still the same buff job that I did to it last season . I just gave it a coat of wax the beginning of this season and other then that I've just been ragging it off before I take it out . I don't think it look's to bad for a 37 year old paint job . The one thing that's been driving me nut's though , Is that everyone thinks that I clear coated it and I keep having to explain to them that it's just still the original paint .

They gave you the wrong trophy! Go back and get the one with a truck on it!
That would have been cool if it had a step side truck on the top ! lol I was so happy that I put on a lil bit of a show pulling out of the show . There are now two very wide , very dark and very long marks in the street on top of every one else's marks that they had left . I think there going to be there for a "while" . lol

Back