• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1979 Dodge Warlock

bear

Reaction score
I've been asked by a few people about my Warlock , whether it be more pictures ,a build thread or just some details . So I know my build is far from just starting but it's far from over . So I'm going to start from where it is right now and try and blend in from when it began and what I've done in the mean time .

Here's some fresh pictures of the body . It still has the original paint and stripes that it came off the assembly line with . It had just over 36k on it when I got it and now has just over 37k . The paint when I first got it was all faded and sun baked and I spent three day's buffing it out to see if I could bring it back . It'll get one more detailing and some wax , hopefully by next spring . But so far , I don't think it came out to bad .
IMG_4482.JPG

What most of the brand X guy's see . lol
IMG_4486.JPG

The rear tires are 50 series on 15"x11" chrome reverse rims . Hopefully I'll be getting some bigger tires for it by next season .
IMG_4488.JPG

Most of the local guy's have learned already , that they don't want to see this coming up in there rear view mirror . lol
IMG_4490.JPG

I was going for that old school look . If I have to put a name on it , I'm going for retro , period correct hot rod truck . lol
IMG_4492.JPG

The interior is pretty much stock other then the van buckets on the factory Warlock frame , B&M shifter to go thru the gears , and tach and gauges to keep track of everything important .
IMG_4501.JPG

I made a quick floor mat just to cover up the bear floor but some interior upgrades are in the near future including a new rug . You might also notice in one of these pictures that I have a clutch peddle and I'm running an automatic . That was intentional . The way I have it now , I can change to a stick at any time with very little effort . I might even try another clutch-flight , Who Knows ?

The motor is a big block 440 that was rebuilt when I got the truck but didn't run all the greatest when I first got it . As well as a small rear main leak . So the motor had to come out . During the motor build is where I kind of took a left turn . The original plan was just a quick big block truck , maybe throw some A/C in it and hit some shows and cruises . Well , I kind of got the itch again to go fast and kick some brand X but . So now it's the same 440 that's been punched out , forged slugs , big lumpy cam etc. .
IMG_4498.JPG

At the moment , I'm running a duel plain intake but I'll be running a single plain next season when I bring it back out .The motor is better suited for the single plain but I wanted to try the duel plain just for streetability . After that I see me going duel quad .
IMG_4497.JPG

Bear, the truck looks great in the fall setting! Paint looks great in the pics, and I like the big 'n little wheel/tire setup. Are toubgoing to put the wooden bed rails on or keep it clean? I also like the flag on the tailgate.

It is funny how a build takes a left turn, the dart was a /6 now a 440! I cannot believe that it original paint, WOW!
You've got a big block Dart ? What year ? Feel free to post a picture of that bad boy . I've built a couple of them ( for other people ) and my wife ran a 70 with a 383 for a "while" back in the day . That was a "fun" car ! Kind of going on the Bamby meat's Godzila theory . lol

Bear, the truck looks great in the fall setting! Paint looks great in the pics, and I like the big 'n little wheel/tire setup. Are toubgoing to put the wooden bed rails on or keep it clean? I also like the flag on the tailgate.
Thanks , It took a lil bit to get the paint to come back . I still want to mint it out a little more and get a little wax on it . I've decided to keep the original paint on there for a while and concentrate on everything else first . After all it's only original once . I was thinking of putting the wood rails back on it but the wife hates that idea . I will replace the wood plaque that go's on the tail gate though . The original one has been long gone , so I'll have to make a new one . I put the flag on there , just for know until I do . It kind of makes a statement ( American Strong ! ) . The big and little's was part of the old school hot rod look I was going for . Hopefully I'll be bringing it out next year with a bigger rear tire . maybe something about 16" or 17" wide and just a little taller and skinnier on the front . Same rims though . But eventually I'm thinking of having them stripped and re-chromed because I don't think I'd be able to find them new anymore .

Hooker headers with 2 1/2" pipe all the way back .
IMG_3875.JPG

You might notice how clean the frame is on the truck . I can thank my wife for that . When we had the truck apart she spent over two weeks under there with wire brush's , wire wheels , Angle grinders , rags , etc. , anything she could get her hands on cleaning up every inch of that frame . What we thought was rust ended up being red Georgia clay or mud . Under that was still the factory black paint which she then covered up with Chassis saver black paint . She also found out the hard way that , that "don't" wash off !
IMG_3874.JPG

Are you going to leave the flag on the back or go to the Warlock by Dodge or the wooden plaque? My brother had just bought his and we were at a car show with maybe 15 cars. A guy walks up and says he has the original wooden rails for a Warlock. My brother got them for $50 I think.

Back