• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

This is the Shelby Dakota I might buy this fall

Had the Dak out and about today...just rolled over 40,000 miles...The clear is peeling off the wheels and it is the greatest downfall of this truck. Soon to have them blasted and powder coated and can't wait to put those new center caps on also.

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

I've always like the look of the early Daks, especially the Shelby, but I could never get myself to like the center dash pod that contains the radio and climate controls. That protruding square pod was never a high point in the interior design of the Dak, in my opinion. That is really the only negative comment I have about the Dak's appearance. Well that, and the rectangular headlights. I never liked them on any vehicle. lol.

That's a gorgeous Shelby Dak, though. Nice find! :thumb:

Nothing like hauling it home in a

Nothing like hauling the tree home in a Mopar....

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

My wife, daughters and grand daughter got some lunch today and then went to a nearby Christmas tree farm. Cut down a nine footer and hauled it home in my Dodge Truck. Been a long time coming.​

I finally got my weekend truck on the road again.

I went round and round on the front brake calipers. First one was for the wrong side. I went ahead and changed it out on the driver's side. Then second try on passenger side was a cross threaded bleeder screw. Third time was the charm. I got all new fluid in the front lines. The rotors were fine and the brake shoes had 1/2" of pads left so they stayed. Stops and rolls fine now.

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

I was on the way home from our monthly Mopar meeting this Sunday when it started to rain and I turned on the wipers only to here a thump and the wiper blades stayed straight up on the windshield. I knew what happened. Those same crappy windshield wiper linkage bushings. Well I read the factory service manual and it was straight forward. But as luck would have it I called the guy I bought it from Dallas Rice and he set me straight with removing the outside cowel. So I got it off. Today I used the satin black SEM color coat to paint he inside black cowel cover, the washer squiters and the pivots of the wiper brackets. They are all made out of plastic and were faded. Tonight I got most of it put back on and tested. Tomorrow night I will finish by installing the outside painted cowel cover.

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

I got my A/C all back together and charged up. It was nice and cold but I had high head pressure. When the ambient air temp was high enough it would blow warmer. I blew the charge yesterday and removed the grill and condensor coil. I found the issue today. Not enough air being drawn accross the coil. Only one fan was functioning. It pulls 12 amps. I have a call in to some other Shelby owners as what to use as a replacement fan.

IMG_0698840x630.jpg

IMG_0696840x630.jpg

Got my answer from a friend of the previous owner. I picked the one ending with 502 at the very bottom. Diameter and mounting holes are perfect and the thickness is just right. Ordered them from the Fan Man.

11.jpg

I got them in today and got it all ready to go. Even the connectors match up with the factory plugs.

IMG_0704840x630.jpg

IMG_0705840x630.jpg

It's pretty much back together. I got both fans cranking away by jumping out the low suction switch. 9 amps is what they pull and then they suck a piece of paper to the condensor coil when it is installed. I vacuumed the system down and charged it today. I had 100 degrees ambient in front of the condensor coil and 52 degrees of cold air blowing me in the face. Back on the road with the windows rolled up.

IMG_0707840x630.jpg

IMG_0706840x630.jpg

IMG_0708840x630.jpg

Hey, Eric I have been following your thread for a while, I have Shelby as well with low miles.
Please don't stop posting that's one reason I joined.

Hey, Eric I have been following your thread for a while, I have Shelby as well with low miles.
Please don't stop posting that's one reason I joined.
I won't every sell this truck so don't worry. I don't do much work on it but I will continue to share. Next are the wheels. The clear coat has worms in it.

I got a small project going on.

Well I bought my own early birthday present. I got two done and the other two off tonight. I find a tire and wheel store that takes the tires off, sends the wheels off to a powder coater company and they come back the next day looking like new. Pictures prove it. The wheels were the only downfall to this truck. Once its done I will take more pictures of the wheels and the truck.

This is why I did it.

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

And this is a sunny shot of how they turn out.

IMG_0793.jpg

Back