• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Slow people in the Fast Lane

Should end up
around 2" in the front Hey does your truck have front leaf springs? I have really sloppy steering and I am wondering if the bushings are the problem, everything else seems good.
My Ramcharger has front leaf's . All the Dodge 4x4'x had them up to 93 . The first place I'd look ( If the rest of the front end is tight ) is the steering box . Or possibly the rag joint in the steering shaft .

Seems all tight to me adjusted the box and it is fairly tight. The joint is good, someone did change out the steering Colum with a tilt out of a full size but seems to be good. I just cannot seem to find it and my mechanic/neighbor with a shop across the street is also kind of stumped since when he did the inspection he went over the front end pretty well. He is thinking front leaf spring bushings which makes sense to me. They seem ok to me but.....Steers like a drunk on a Friday night.

Oh you'd know if the tilt was bad ! The joints in those things notorious for wearing out as well as the screws that hold the joint backing off . If that was the case you'd be able to tilt your wheel in all direction's , not just up and down . There was a reason why I finally pulled the tilt out of my Ramcharger and replaced it with a non-tilt when it let go .

When you sit behind the wheel , How much play is in it "back and forth" ?

Quick question . Does your truck have a front sway bar and does it have a front stabilizer ?

Front sway barn no stabilizer. Can I add one? That should help.
Yup ! You can add one and they do help . But I've driven and worked on enough of these trucks and I'm still leaning towards your issue being in either the box or somewhere in the shaft . What style coupler are you running ? There's two styles . One is the standard one that can be replaced or rebuilt pretty easy and there's the Borgeson style that is better and stronger but can't be rebuilt . Is there any slop or play there ?

I have the standard coupler which is new, I am going to try to adjust the box again IAW the FSR and see what happens. I think I will get the stabilizer also.

No problem , any time Hops . Glad I could help .

Back