• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Phase 2

Got all the little chit buttoned up and Phase 2.0 is done. Time to.move on to Phase 2.0.1 which is the playset.

IMG_20170527_161911.jpg

Whole lotta fun organizing the boards. First thing to assemble was the slide, which is on the bottom of the box, go figure. Got about halfway today and will finish the rest tomorrow when the girls are here.

-It stops raining long enough, I wanna get some pics of what I did outside the days BEFORE the rain started....

I'm curious to see what you did.

Yeah, I've got my hands full, workin' outside, and then cleaning up the basement inside, (getting ready to remove yet another dryer) to bring in a NEW one, and then the old one I'll rip down for scrap metal to haul in to pay "hobby fee's" LOL to add to my metal scrap pile out back. not that its much but, by October (when I haul it in) last year, I took in 3800 pounds, and that paid my way to a model car show so..... Worth it to not take anything from the household budget if I can help it but gas money in the car....

Then I'm working in the basement during all this to re-insulate around the exterior walls, on top of the foundation, what was there (or in some cases still is there, is seriously LACKING and the first floor in the winter gets really cold, so..... I'm gonna pack it right in the ends as much as I can stuff in of the itchy pink stuff, and then its will be held in-place with a tight fitting piece of 2 inch thick blue styrofoam........ When one "area" is done (between the floor joists) the insulation I want to be at least 8 inches thick...... the thickness of the tops of the foundation!

Bustin' my ass tho in all the areas but the shop! BUT that'll come once the major stuff is D-O-N-E!

You'll have to sell me the 67 PW to help fund that insulation project.:jawdrop:;)

One step ahead of ya. my years of doing home improvement, and working for a company that did all sorts of "carpentry" type stuff, all those cut offs and all that wasted materials, I (over the years) saved, to fund this for the time it took me to pack it into the truck at lunch time and at clean up...... As really, its NOT "a lot" of, but the stuff I collected/saved over the years, was just big enough to work for what I wanted to do with it, but to small to use on the site (any one of them) I was on.... and most times, the cut offs are from someone else doing it! (I normally got stuck with electrical work, sheetrock, or doing floors, prep bare concrete, fill holes, remove old flooring, and then lay new stuff.... VCT, and hardwood stuff.... So..... I got that whole project "covered" for cost-wise!

The ole '67 is down too! I think I have a bad bearing in the rear pumpkin, so the ole girl sits till I can get at that project too! Its no "grinding" but just seems a bit more "loose" then normal...... AND I've sensed just a tad bit of play in the drive shaft.... NOT a U-Joint, there nice and tight.... SO.... I'm not sure what it might be! At least not till I get to sit under it!

Never trust a u joint on the vehicle if you think it's suspect, been through that too many times.

Ohh believe me I know when I first noted something wasn't as tight as it normally would be, I checked BOTH the rear U-Joints, first thing, they seem alright, I THINK the half of U-joint on the nose of the rear pumpkin is hiding a bearing gone south..... A bit of oil/lube of some sort just enough to be noticeable when I looked so I THINK the nose cone bearing behind the rear half of the rear U-Joint is the issue..... I THINK the bearing for whatever reason is now "oblong" and allowing a little bit of slop, if NOT repaired it will throw the U-Joint I know, so..... I dropped the rear shaft, and put it in the bed..... That way the Step-Son can't just hop in and run it and not care..... -Not that he don't care, don't get me wrong, BUT, he's less likely to feel the issue, and notice it as I did so..... And being on a tight budget, I don't want no more wrong with it, then need be, you know? Plus, I do all my own work.... SO, to keep down the amount of that I will need to do.... well, I take a few extra steps of precaution!

I remember my first car, a 79 celica ST, still wish I kept the shift knob, cool green pattern in wood. Anywho, I told my dad about a slight vibration that just started the day before. Told me to.fix it, said I had to go hang out with my friends, I was 18 at the time. Went over to my buddy's, a little vibe, only going 10 miles at Max 45mph. Heading home, holy crap, that car was shaking 3 miles into the journey and got worse the way. I was down to 25 mph and the thing was rocking! Made it home fine, learning the lesson indeed. When we went to take apart the front and rear joints (I voted against replacing the carrier bearing in the middle ,yeah, 3 joints for a 12 foot long car) you could move the driveshaft what seemed like a 1/4 inch I'm every direction. I'm surprised we needed tools to take the thing out.

Yeah, I don't have no vibration at all right now. just some play when I go to roll it, before it moves.... I had checked the U-Joints first thing as thats what I thought too.... BUT I seen oil/grease thats come out of the pumpkin, not on the rear-most U-Joint.... and theres a little play in the bearing, not in the U-Joint. Weird, BUT. I play hard, and I had crawled over a stump I felt it HIT something, as the truck kinda slide sideways about 3 foot till it hit the top of the stump, and I think it either smashed the seal, jambing the dive shaft end into it, or something, like I said, I have yet to look under the thing more then just drop the rear drive shaft till I have time to get under it. And I might add the $$$$ to buy whatever it may need! But when I dropped the shaft out from under he truck, the section of U joint connecting to the pumpkin, has a bout 5/16ths "play" it didn't have prior to that, just enough to feel it, weird enough at 45 -50 MPH, no vibration at all.... So that tells me its not the U joint, its in the rear end!

Got the swing set finished up before the girls left yesterday, so at least they got to play on it for a while. Put sand under it and put some edgers down around the slide and put the remaining sand under that. I asked Laura if there was any other landscaping tasks this year and I got "I don't know" so I'm expecting something later in the summer.

IMG_20170529_134128.jpg

Here's some pics of the biggest improvement. We contained the bushes that are surrounding the cupola. It finally looks good, not a wild sprawling bunch of plants.

IMG_20170524_103155.jpg

IMG_20170524_103143.jpg

IMG_20170524_103125.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the results. Everything went smoothly and I wasn't under a lot of pressure. One granddaughter was helpful with the swing set, because she thought if she helped me it would get done quicker. She has yet to learn asking a billion questions slows me down, but her help was appreciated and needed a few times. It was nice to be able to bind with her like that, and she claims she's going to remember it. They like it and I'm almost as happy as they are.

IMG_20170524_160121.jpg

IMG_20170524_160137.jpg

Swing set looks like a 16+ hour project. Looks like the girls are enjoying the sand pile.
Looks like everthing turned out great. Now the hard task of sitting back and enjoying.

PS if most people only knew what it took to put a play set together the would never buy one.

Swing set looks like a 16+ hour project. Looks like the girls are enjoying the sand pile.
Looks like everthing turned out great. Now the hard task of sitting back and enjoying.

PS if most people only knew what it took to put a play set together the would never buy one.
It definitely isn't a 3 hour job. I probably spent more time digging through the hardware before completing each step, that was the most time consuming part, but I worked on it pretty casually too over the weekend. Glad it's over and the girls can enjoy it. I'm not a fan of doing the landscaping, but I have to admit I did have ideas running through my mind about what else we could do to beautify our yard. I won't tell Laura that, though.:cool:

Last one we quoted was a 125% over cost of set. The guy said redicules and that it was only a couple hours work. Told him if he called back and wanted it finished he could double that. Have never heard back but I am betting he learnt a lesson on that one.

We struggle with landscaping here also. If the wife had her way things would be randomly placed all over. My idea is it can not break up normal mower flow. 14 trees are enough and if a 62 inch deck will not pass threw it it's not happening. In fact there is about 150 feet of yard fence that will disappeared some day. It just a trap for tall grass, tree sprouts and weeds.

YEP! Agree'd on all accounts! I took and did the landscaping to take up the grass, and allow the wife to have flower gardens close o the house, AND to that 1/3rd the yard has been agree'd on by both of us as a vegetable garden and shes all for it! POOF, to the 1/3rd of the grass to mow!

Or well not just mow... but GROW (It seems to be a real task to have a "green" lawn where I live......)

Back