• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Phase 2

6 total? The only part I can see that I'd "remodel" would be the door. I think 6, if medium to small sized chickens do OK in a small coop!
If the average 5 year old can crawl threw it the door will be fine. Just make sure everything is rodent, raccoon and what ever critter proof. They like chicken and eggs as much as we do.
Some waters and feeders in a secure area were they can get out of the weather they should be fine if you have to leave for a day or two. Get a neighbor to collect to eggs while your gone and all should be ok.

If the average 5 year old can crawl threw it the door will be fine. Just make sure everything is rodent, raccoon and what ever critter proof. They like chicken and eggs as much as we do.
Some waters and feeders in a secure area were they can get out of the weather they should be fine if you have to leave for a day or two. Get a neighbor to collect to eggs while your gone and all should be ok.
Its a 12" x 12" door so I believe a kid should be able to crawl in it. so far it should be pretty critter proof.

Only thing I can see missing is ventilation. Those little bodies put out some heat.
Yeah I haven't decided how I want to do that yet I'd like to let some light in somehow too. I also need to put in a bigger door on the other side so we can clean it out and I want to build a stand so they can get under it to get shade. Then a run to attach to the front. This design below is kind of what I was basing it on. Just with my own spin.

Ventilation..... put a vented peak in the roof, and for light, make every other roof panel that plastic roofing that lets light through.......

Ventilation..... put a vented peak in the roof, and for light, make every other roof panel that plastic roofing that lets light through.......[/QUOTE
Plastic roof panels in such a small space would generate to much heat.
As far a clean out a false floor with a hinged solid pan . In the summer just leave the pan open for ventilation.
Side windows and gable vents.

At the size of the coop hes got and the roof panels being really small I don't see where it create that much heat!

With a peak vent, and gable vents I think he'd be good!

So I finally got the other tasks completed that were interrupting my favorite chore, landscaping! Part of Phase 2 includes a new swing set for the granddaughters. We sold ours, got a different one from someone else, and ended up selling that one the next day to someone in town. It was weathered worse than I thought when I picked it up and th buyer couldn't have been happier, so it all worked out.

Anyways, I got to put down some fabric and got to sling some more rock! We did this to cover up the dirt that our Rottweiler uses as her bathroom. Female Rottweiler pee kills ALL plant matter it seems. So we put rock down so we don't have to look at dirt, and I do that have to wipe her feet every time she goes out when it's wet. I will have to put sand and then pea gravel around the swing set, but that should go smoothly. I'm sure the home office will include some last minute changes, as they always do. We plan on adding some small bushes at the junction of the sidewalks, that's why one part is unfinished, that and the concrete goes where the edgers should be. Fun, new challenges.

IMG_20170518_115250.jpg

Oh, only one and a half yards of river rock this time, had most of it down in an hour or so.

IMG_20170518_121755.jpg

IMG_20170518_142630.jpg

IMG_20170518_143108.jpg

IMG_20170518_143128.jpg

Little but left for the ring I showed earlier.

IMG_20170518_142621.jpg

Well, I have enough time for a 2 hour nap today, but most of the fun is done!

So I finally got the other tasks completed that were interrupting my favorite chore, landscaping! Part of Phase 2 includes a new swing set for the granddaughters. We sold ours, got a different one from someone else, and ended up selling that one the next day to someone in town. It was weathered worse than I thought when I picked it up and th buyer couldn't have been happier, so it all worked out.

Anyways, I got to put down some fabric and got to sling some more rock! We did this to cover up the dirt that our Rottweiler uses as her bathroom. Female Rottweiler pee kills ALL plant matter it seems. So we put rock down so we don't have to look at dirt, and I do that have to wipe her feet every time she goes out when it's wet. I will have to put sand and then pea gravel around the swing set, but that should go smoothly. I'm sure the home office will include some last minute changes, as they always do. We plan on adding some small bushes at the junction of the sidewalks, that's why one part is unfinished, that and the concrete goes where the edgers should be. Fun, new challenges.

View attachment 8838

Oh, only one and a half yards of river rock this time, had most of it down in an hour or so.

View attachment 8839

View attachment 8840

View attachment 8841

View attachment 8842

Little but left for the ring I showed earlier.

View attachment 8843

Well, I have enough time for a 2 hour nap today, but most of the fun is done!

That looks really good!

Nap! I am jealous.
I was on my seventh or eighth wind at the end, had to make myself sleep. I have a fairly easy night ahead of me here at work. I was already 2 days behind and had to makeup some lost ground. I'm going to have to negotiate rain days into future job bidding.

Had I shoveled all that out of the bed of your Dodge, I'd take a nap for 2 freakin' days LOL My Sternum won't/doesn't handle that all that well. and then I ache for what seems forever......... I'm still recovering from what I've done out side around the house, and mine wasn't nearly as labor intensive as what you did!

Had I shoveled all that out of the bed of your Dodge, I'd take a nap for 2 freakin' days LOL My Sternum won't/doesn't handle that all that well. and then I ache for what seems forever......... I'm still recovering from what I've done out side around the house, and mine wasn't nearly as labor intensive as what you did!
I kept going, the pain will show up in a few days when I'm all done. I got one good standing up stretch and my whole spine cracked, felt awesome! So I'm good to go for a few days more relaxed work.

When I heard you talking about timbers I thought "sounds like that sucks". I never had to walk more than 15 feet from my truck, and considering this was 1/4 of what I did last year in the sweltering heat, this was a walk in the park. It's not perfect, but it beats the dirt.

Scott,
NAH, it wasn't real bad, its the continuous get up kneel down that gets me most the time, what you did on the other hand was A LOT more labor intensive then what I did thus far this year! -I just should have did one day working, one day relax a bit and then one day working followed by one day relax. but I went straight through 4 days in a row, and a little on the 5th day and damn talk about aches & pains.... and at my age, I shouldn't have that problem but health issues well..... it take a bit of getting used too!

Back