• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Members "Engine Build" ideas thread....

67 Power Wagon

Reaction score
As the tittle says..... What you guys have for engine build ideas? IF you had unlimited fundings, and could find whatever, one off engines and could mask them run what it be? (Get as little or as technical as you wish here)

So I'll start.......

I'd take one of the NEW Generation 3, crate 440 Hemi "short blocks" SAME exterior size as the 5.7L, the 6.1L, the 6.2L (Hellcat), the 6.4L, OK? (it FIT anywhere a 5.7L Hemi will as its a direct bolt in...) BUT, the 440, being a 440, Bore it out to take a good titanium sleeves, (just like they did the Hellcat), they took a 6.4L "392" and bored it just enough to sleeve it, and it became the 6.2L "376 C.I.D" we all know as the Hellcat Hemi. OK? THEN, with the sleeves in to bring it from a 440 to a 426...... in metric a 7.2L (440), sleeved down to become a 7.0L (426), and then put ALL the stuff from the Hellcat engine ONTO/INTO the block, The pistons have to be changed to those Mopar Performance offers Or better yet, Get good domed ones to raise the compression just a little As it has to be low to begin with for the Supercharger from the Hellcat to bolt on. IF you could get a crate 440 Hemi sleeved down to a 426 Hemi, with all the same trimmings the 6.2L Hellcat got, what ya have? ONE Hell-of-a new "426" Hemi! -Long live the "426".......

That be a WILD freakin motor I bet! -Afterall they did put a crate 426 Generation 3, Hemi in a Charger and called it the "Redline"..... Call the Supercharged 426 a "Killer B" OR "Pitt Viper"

I have others..... BUT I'll save them for when the thread gets goin'!

Whats everyone else have for thought "dream engine builds?

This is a tough one for me because when I'm planning out a motor build , I have a certain goal in mind for that vehicle . But anyone that knows me , knows I like "lots" of power and torque . Plus you have to be able to drive it on the street . Now that would be for what I would call a toy . I also have another type of build where I try and get as much power out of an engine as I can "but" I also try and get the best fuel economy and dependability out of it as well . I guess I would call that a "working" motor . But I think if it was my "dream" build then I'd probably go with something like an all aluminum 540 cubic inch Hemi . with something like an 871 blower sitting on top with maybe two ten pound blue bottles in the back of it . And I'd drop that into something like a 40/41 Willy's , or a 30/32 Dodge coup , or maybe something like a 39/40 Dodge pick-up . Or maybe even something like my Warlock but it would have to be sitting on a tube chassis and have a glass nose .

I have a couple engine builds planned around:
IMAG1387.jpg

And:
IMAG1908.jpg

The first will be a basic 6pac setup on a sweet under hood tunnel ram intake.

The second one will be a radical street engine for (hopefully) a barely streeetable car. Definitely going for a cool factor, but biased towards performance. 6pac on my Polara, the Max Wedge inline tunnel.on my 67 Dart. Haven't gotten all the details worked out but know I'm going 440 based stroker for both.

I have an idea for the 6pac engine, and yes I realize the carbs are the wrong ones, I got them with the intake and have since given them away as they were for Furd straight 6 truck engines. An engine builder on FABO built a later 70's smog 440 with a stock bottom end, a .509 cam ported 516 heads (I'll probably use some 440Source heads I have) and a Demon 850 carb. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of 560 or 580 hp! Not bad for a smog lower end, pistons a mile deep in the hole! A little tweaking and tinkering and I think a similar combo should/can work. Should make for a fun cruiser, and will add to my sleeper look with the Polara.

GAWD. I'm SO glad I did this thread!!!!! I'm tuned right in to what you all come up with.......

I have a couple engine builds planned around:View attachment 5984

And:View attachment 5985

The first will be a basic 6pac setup on a sweet under hood tunnel ram intake.

The second one will be a radical street engine for (hopefully) a barely streeetable car. Definitely going for a cool factor, but biased towards performance. 6pac on my Polara, the Max Wedge inline tunnel.on my 67 Dart. Haven't gotten all the details worked out but know I'm going 440 based stroker for both.
Personally I think that duel four would look right at home under the hood of my Warlock . ;)

Wow is this hard since my brain is programmed towards what I "CAN" afford and not what I really want. Hmmmmmm, I love the idea of turbo's (using waste to create more power) but it turns the engine compartment into a jungle gym making things a bare to work on so that's out. Blowers are awesome but might get old trying to see around them? The Hellcat motor would be awesome but I think for me it would be a supercharged 572 HEMI, call me nostalgic but I just like that old school sound and look.

Wow is this hard since my brain is programmed towards what I "CAN" afford and not what I really want. Hmmmmmm, I love the idea of turbo's (using waste to create more power) but it turns the engine compartment into a jungle gym making things a bare to work on so that's out. Blowers are awesome but might get old trying to see around them? The Hellcat motor would be awesome but I think for me it would be a supercharged 572 HEMI, call me nostalgic but I just like that old school sound and look.
The 572 is my ultimate goal with my Dart. It might happen in my lifetime.

Shit guys, talkin old school? Gimme a 426, High compression dome pistons, say, Keith Blacks, or the like, and then port the heads, build the valve train (hell go bigger on the valves too, and SUPERCHARGE that damn thing!) with something to the tune of a 10-72 blower? YEAH.....

Don't even say it, I already know, I'm freakin dreamin', BUT, thats a dream right? They haven't taken those from us yet have they?

I too favor the Generation 2 Hemi's..... 426 to 540....Ain't nuthin' to sound like 'em!

BE AWESOME to put a 426 Hemi in my '67!!!!!!

I hear yeah on all counts "747mopar" . I'm kind of old school myself . That's why I'm doing the Warlock the way I'm doing it . It's just going to be old school raw power rumbling from under the hood , that barely idles and is just barely streetable . Eventually I plan on pulling the crank that's in it and upping the cubes over 500" and of course with that will have to come an even bigger cam and a better set of heads . But that's later after I save up some pennies and get my current combo tuned in to the way I want it and have a lot of fun doing it . Plus I just want to see how far I can take it this way . As far as you comment about having to look around a blower and it might get old ? I can tell you first hand that looking around the gasser scoop on top of the tunnel ram that I ran on my Charger "never" got old . Plus it turned out to be a better rear view mirror then my rear view mirror . lol There's just something about seeing the top of the motor sitting right there in front of you that kind of makes you feel or say " HELLYAH" !

Shit guys, talkin old school? Gimme a 426, High compression dome pistons, say, Keith Blacks, or the like, and then port the heads, build the valve train (hell go bigger on the valves too, and SUPERCHARGE that damn thing!) with something to the tune of a 10-72 blower? YEAH.....

Don't even say it, I already know, I'm freakin dreamin', BUT, thats a dream right? They haven't taken those from us yet have they?

I too favor the Generation 2 Hemi's..... 426 to 540....Ain't nuthin' to sound like 'em!

BE AWESOME to put a 426 Hemi in my '67!!!!!!
There's nothing wrong with dreaming . Sometimes I think that's what helps keep us going .

There's nothing wrong with dreaming . Sometimes I think that's what helps keep us going .
I take my dreams and narrow them down to a realistic goal. My Polara is my driver, got to keep it relatively tame. My Dart, which has only seen 15 or so miles in close to 20 years, is going to be pushing the limits, I hope. I want to be able to drive about 2&1/2 hours away to the big Mopar show near me. My W200 is going to look over the top and have big tires, but I want to be able to hop in and go anywhere with it. All big block powered! Gulping gas, hopefully not too much, yeah right.

Posted this before but it fits so well for my 440 Dart!

It’s a cool summer evening as the young man comes to a stop at the red light. He is thinking that it is the last light for quite a distance and what better time than now to test his latest adjustments on his tuner car. The exhaust is ringing with that new Turbo tail pipe that he just installed and the throttle response is immediate. As he quickly scans the gauges to see if everything is in order for a solid run he hears a rumble that at first sounds as though his exhaust is coming apart or leaking. He now notices an older gentleman pulling up in the lane next to him. Ah…thank goodness he thinks, it is his car that is doing the rumbling. The old fellow must be hard of hearing and does not realize his exhaust is making such a noise or perhaps he does not have the money to have his exhaust fixed. The young guy looks over and realizes that it is an old man, and he is driving an “old” car (complete with roof rack) as well. He remembers his father telling him of such a car and fun vacations so many years ago. With a great deal of pride the youngster decides to rev his engine to let the old guy know just what is sitting beside him and the performance the “old coot” is about to witness when the light turns green. As he revs his engine he notices that the older guy never looks over but stares straight ahead. But something else catches the young man’s attention… it is a scoop that begins to rise up out of the hood of the old four door relic complete with roof rack. With very little concern he is wondering what is happening to the old man’s car he begins to press the accelerator of his “tuner car” anxiously waiting for the green light and his chance to show his car off to all who may be watching. But the rumble from the old white car gets louder and stronger as well and the young man begins to wonder if this old gentleman is challenging his finely tuned automobile. It was then that the light turned green and the young man’s foot jumped off of the brakes as his other foot slams the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and his tires begin to smoke as they spin as they try to grip the asphalt for the launch. To the young man’s amazement he notices that his wheels are spinning and grabbing aggressively but the old white car is now moving forward and his is at a standstill…how could this be his speedometer shows 35 in a heartbeat and his engine is singing at the red line on his tach, but it is as though he is not moving because the amazing old four door car, roof rack and all, driven by the older gentleman is steadily pulling away. As he quickly shifts into second gear thinking that this might be his problem he notices even more smoke forming around the rear of the older classic car. Tire smoke that is obviously not his is drifting into his lane. The rumble that he had heard at the red light has now turned in to a thunderous roar of power that is seemingly making the ground around him vibrate. He remembers his father telling him of such cars and in his father’s day they called them sleepers… could this be what he was encountering? As his speed grew even faster he noticed that the beautiful old Dart driven by the charming older gentleman had just left him and his whirring, tinny sounding car behind in smoke. And as the old car pulls away ….etched in the young man’s mind is the question….what is a Popmobile 440?

Thanks to DARTNABOUT and his humor!

It is Mine and I love it!

Mine is a 440 boat engine 10.5 comp, ported heads voodoo cam, 100 shot of NOS and a torker II with a 750 AFB on it and 3.55 gears, just flies! Just ordered a tranny to hold up to the package.

Posted this before but it fits so well for my 440 Dart!

It’s a cool summer evening as the young man comes to a stop at the red light. He is thinking that it is the last light for quite a distance and what better time than now to test his latest adjustments on his tuner car. The exhaust is ringing with that new Turbo tail pipe that he just installed and the throttle response is immediate. As he quickly scans the gauges to see if everything is in order for a solid run he hears a rumble that at first sounds as though his exhaust is coming apart or leaking. He now notices an older gentleman pulling up in the lane next to him. Ah…thank goodness he thinks, it is his car that is doing the rumbling. The old fellow must be hard of hearing and does not realize his exhaust is making such a noise or perhaps he does not have the money to have his exhaust fixed. The young guy looks over and realizes that it is an old man, and he is driving an “old” car (complete with roof rack) as well. He remembers his father telling him of such a car and fun vacations so many years ago. With a great deal of pride the youngster decides to rev his engine to let the old guy know just what is sitting beside him and the performance the “old coot” is about to witness when the light turns green. As he revs his engine he notices that the older guy never looks over but stares straight ahead. But something else catches the young man’s attention… it is a scoop that begins to rise up out of the hood of the old four door relic complete with roof rack. With very little concern he is wondering what is happening to the old man’s car he begins to press the accelerator of his “tuner car” anxiously waiting for the green light and his chance to show his car off to all who may be watching. But the rumble from the old white car gets louder and stronger as well and the young man begins to wonder if this old gentleman is challenging his finely tuned automobile. It was then that the light turned green and the young man’s foot jumped off of the brakes as his other foot slams the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and his tires begin to smoke as they spin as they try to grip the asphalt for the launch. To the young man’s amazement he notices that his wheels are spinning and grabbing aggressively but the old white car is now moving forward and his is at a standstill…how could this be his speedometer shows 35 in a heartbeat and his engine is singing at the red line on his tach, but it is as though he is not moving because the amazing old four door car, roof rack and all, driven by the older gentleman is steadily pulling away. As he quickly shifts into second gear thinking that this might be his problem he notices even more smoke forming around the rear of the older classic car. Tire smoke that is obviously not his is drifting into his lane. The rumble that he had heard at the red light has now turned in to a thunderous roar of power that is seemingly making the ground around him vibrate. He remembers his father telling him of such cars and in his father’s day they called them sleepers… could this be what he was encountering? As his speed grew even faster he noticed that the beautiful old Dart driven by the charming older gentleman had just left him and his whirring, tinny sounding car behind in smoke. And as the old car pulls away ….etched in the young man’s mind is the question….what is a Popmobile 440?

Thanks to DARTNABOUT and his humor!

It is Mine and I love it!
I liked that story the first time I read it and every time it comes up I read every word over and over again . Gives me another idea for a thread . Maybe call it "bench racing 101" or something . There could be stories of days gone by , battles we've either heard of or have had on the street , or even funny off road stories for the 4x4 guy's .

Back