• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Members "Engine Build" ideas thread....

I take my dreams and narrow them down to a realistic goal. My Polara is my driver, got to keep it relatively tame. My Dart, which has only seen 15 or so miles in close to 20 years, is going to be pushing the limits, I hope. I want to be able to drive about 2&1/2 hours away to the big Mopar show near me. My W200 is going to look over the top and have big tires, but I want to be able to hop in and go anywhere with it. All big block powered! Gulping gas, hopefully not too much, yeah right.
You kind of have to . If money was no object , that would be one thing . But for most of us that's not the case . So if your smart , you build what you can afford at the time and then take it from there . With me , I went over budget as it was and I'm not even close to where I want to be with it but I also wanted to be able to start driving it and enjoying it . As time go's on and money permits I'll eventually get it to where I want it . But in the mean time I'll just continue to have a boat load of fun with it and make a boat load of memories .

Oh I have some stories, Had a Gremlin we stuffed a bone stock Cadillac 500 moto in, that was fun!
I could probably come up with a few as well . Seen and done a lot of street action back in the day and even had some fun with the Warlock this summer even though I only had it out for a short period of time . My first job twisting a wrench , The family that owned the shop was heavy into racing . That's when I found out that I had a knack for making cars go fast . I was told better then most .

I figured why not ? I just started a thread "Bench racing 101" . Lets hear some stories and see where it go's .

I am in just the right frame of mind also. The dart is analized, twisted the driveshaft to the point it pulled off the spline! Broke the hell out of the tail shaft. To be continued on the new thread.

How's this for a build ? Start with an RB block , Stroke it to about 528 , big lumpy cam , nice flowing aluminum heads , two fours sitting on top . Drop it into a 67/69 Dodge Dart . It would be a street car but do the car like an old school drag car with true fender wall headers , glass fenders and hood , cage , Cut the quarters around the wheels with some BIG meat on the back and skinnies on the front .

How's this for a build ? Start with an RB block , Stroke it to about 528 , big lumpy cam , nice flowing aluminum heads , two fours sitting on top . Drop it into a 67/69 Dodge Dart . It would be a street car but do the car like an old school drag car with true fender wall headers , glass fenders and hood , cage , Cut the quarters around the wheels with some BIG meat on the back and skinnies on the front .
That's basically what I'm going to do with my 67. I have proper headers. I like my tires to have room to turn.

If that's something like what your building then I'm definitely going to have to check it out . :D I know what your saying about the front tires issue . Or should I say issue's ? I remember back in the day helping a buddy of mine turn a track Dart into a street car . Those darn headers would burn up if you turned the wheel to far , they ran so close to the master that it would boil the fluid after a while and I had to make a heat shield for it . I also remember when I was in the passenger side feeling my right foot burning because that part of the floor got so hot from the tubes running so close . But I'll tell yah , it was a blast to drive with that 440 4 speed in that little car ! If I ever did one like that again , I would have to custom make my own headers for it to try and help avoid those problem areas using fender walls .

I'll only use dyna-mat where absolutely necessary. I don't notice anything with my Polara and its headers. The Dart might be closer to the floor. As for my Dart, the ultimate goal is a 572 Hemi. Indy has the 770hp version for a decent price. Although I asked the the owners son about driving it the 120 miles or so to the big Mopar show and he nevers answered, good or bad. I plan on a 4 row aluminum radiator and almost 3000cfm flowing across it with the fans I have. It just would have been nice to have the guy willing to take more money than I should spend, tell me what needs to be done, or steer me towards something else. I have seen an article of a car built with the same engine and the guy drives everywhere. So I'm not too worried. No matter how race the car looks or gets, it will be a street car with more comforts (and weight) than a race car. Driver first, racer second. Tax return money is going towards whatever I need to do to get that SOB running and on the road this next year. The year of the Dart!

Those fender walls where race only and ran close to everything . But you have to remember that's all we had for a big block A Body back then . That is , unless you wanted to run manifolds . Your Dart sounds sick ! I "Like" it ! :D Do you have a build thread or anything where I can maybe check it out ? As far as driving it that distance go's . You should be able to work around that . It's just a matter of what or how you do it . I don't want to sound like a know it all ( believe me I'm "not" ) but I've always been known for being able to make serious power and still be able to take it to the streets . I remember when I was building the Charger I had . I was the mechanic for a fairly large speed shop at the time and everybody that seen what I was putting into that motor and what I was doing to it said that there was no way I'd be able to drive that car . All I kept hearing was that's it's going to run hot , it's not going to idle , the motor is going to build up if you try idling around town , etc. I drove , cruised , raced , etc. that car for 20 something years with no major issues . I'm kind of going in the same direction with the warlock I have now . Eventually I know with that truck though , I'm going to need an extra gear to be able to take it any sort of a long distance . I guess what I'm trying to say is "stick" with it and you'll build the car "you" want that does what "you" want .

I haven't done much with it so far. Owned it damn near 20 years and its only gone 15 miles! All I've done so far is install a 360/727 in place of the /6 and 904. Then I drove the 15 miles, 3-4 blocks at a time! Every time I drove it, it was a test and tune day. Moved to where I am, drove it into the garage, sat for 2 years, and I yanked the engine and trans. Then I swapped the 8 & 3/4 I put under it all those years ago with a better condition unit and Super Stock springs. I have a 440 and 727 laying next to the car along with a 68 K frame (will be using Schumacher mounts, had them for the SB and they were awesome, highly recommended) and some used tti headers, 73 up disc brake spindles, big 11&3/4" rotors and pin type calipers. I was trying to get a 73 up manual steering box, but I have 2 72 down pieces laying around so I'll reuse my linkage. Just need some miscellaneous pieces to do the swapped next spring. I have some pics scattered here and on FABO, same username. The car will go a similar route as my Polara, drivetrain, then worry about the body, but the Dart will get painted, guaranteed. Found a guy on FBBO to redo all grille, bezels and tail panel pieces. Hell, I just got the best set of bezels this year for only $20! Still some dents, but way better thn what I had and I didn't need a mortgage. Try finding bezels for a 67 Dart, it sucks. I have a set of near perfect taillights, all the interior pieces, seats console and door panels, to create a GT model, all outside emblems too. I had my hands on a few sets of the fender trim throughout the years, but I'm opting to go without. I prefer the clean look. If I was going a tamer route I'd get it to class the car up. But, nothing will be original other than the sheet metal, so I'm going to make it look like it means business. Jesus, I forgot about my beer, and I need to sleep before pulling my other 12 hour shift tonight. I do love a rotating schedule, but the Times I only have to work 2 days in a row sucks! Quick enough to be over fast, but long enough to make you realize every minute that you have left. Kind of like working on a car, or truck, there's never enough time, and always too much.

OK , so far we've talked about go fast dream builds . Here's a 4x4 build that I've wanted to do for a while . I want to build a Dodge version of the chevy suburban . I figure on using an 80's Dodge crew cab and grafting the back half from an 80's Ramcharger and put the two together . about 8" of lift , big mudders , and under the hood run a built Cummings .

That's funny. My friend is trying to talk me into doing pretty much that exact build. The only difference is I would like to use a 70's ramcharger roof so that it's removable. I've seen pictures of guys that have done this and looks cool.

The only problem's I see with using a 70's roof is the weight of it if you ever decided to take it off . I'm thinking you would also have to fab up a little extra support in the middle as well , so that if you did take it off , the front half wouldn't try and fold on you . Unless you made it a half roof and had a seam either between the doors or just behind the back doors maybe .

My thought was to make it come off behind the back doors. You'd cut the front part of the roof off and back of the cab and then have to fabricate the mating edges. As well tie the box into the cab so it looks like one pc. Been mulling this one over in the ol noodle for quite some time. Not sure it'll ever come to light but definitely not off the list. Too many other things to do first.

You would definitely need to run a roll bar as well and tie it into the upper parts of the front of the inner quarters . That way when the roof was off , it would give them some support . What I think would be cool would be maybe a custom full cage . Kind of act like an inner skeleton and tie it into the body at the weaker points for when the is roof off . Just a thought .

Lets get this thread re-started. I love talking about engines and dream builds/maybe reality. Mine is what I'm currently going to try and build. LA based block 426 stroker (have block fully finished and ready,have rods). The shortblock: custom Bryant crankshaft with the REM polishing, Crower rods, Custom Pistons, King coated bearings throughout, light weight ring set and, all oil system mods (see for a bodies only: small block tech.). The top end, this is where it gets cool: Custom Made Aluminum Poly-sphere heads. I have a buddy that is a real Wiley Coyote "Super Genius" CNC machinist. Who has scanned and, currently working on fixing all the problem areas. The intake runner will be fashioned in the W2 version. The intake layout will be a custom blower. The fuel system was going to be a fuel injection system with hard lines to look like it is running alcohol which it's kind of is E-85. Now were going with direct injection with fixing the inherit thin walls of the Poly head and, opening them up to flow at 195 maybe more don't really know yet as, all this is in R&D (AutoDesk). All valve's, lock's, retainer's titanium, beehive springs must have custom ground cam and, special T&D rocker system. Now, I know this sounds like a lot but, when there is insanity involved anything is possible. That's why my buddy and I get along so well. We both think outside of the box, way outside. let's talk engine's.

Still think a dual ovhc V8 is possible. If Chrysler does not stop the project this time. That's as deep into this as it gets anywhere as I don't like nasty letters and people beating on the front door.

Back