• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

It is starting

46 outside and the snow is melting. Headed out to the garage to work on the four speed car, getting it up on jack stands and checking out the brakes.

Truck is running like a champ, damn replacement power steering pump has a bad bearing right out of the box. It's the second one I've installed, any guesses as to how many I'll go through before I get a good one?
Where are those pumps coming from. Rest of us may want to consider doing business with them.

Where are those pumps coming from. Rest of us may want to consider doing business with them.
O'Reilly's/Parts City. Parts City is just the independent stores, same distribution network. First one had a plastic plug instead of the metal plug tacked in place. Now the bad bearing. Maybe I'll get one with a bad shaft next.

O'Reilly's/Parts City. Parts City is just the independent stores, same distribution network. First one had a plastic plug instead of the metal plug tacked in place. Now the bad bearing. Maybe I'll get one with a bad shaft next.
They need to start putting labor in the warranty on multiple replacements.
Back in the day when a pump took a few minutes to replace bad replacements were rare. Now that they can take a half day just to get to just a warranty may not do it. Four hours @ $125 which is cheap makes for an expensive pump.

They need to start putting labor in the warranty on multiple replacements.
Back in the day when a pump took a few minutes to replace bad replacements were rare. Now that they can take a half day just to get to just a warranty may not do it. Four hours @ $125 which is cheap makes for an expensive pump.
Ha! That would be nice, I've only had to redo a job a couple times. This is the frst time I've had to do it twice. But that's okay, I just got my car back from sticker shock, I mean the shop. $614 for a power steering pump and pulley, which is apparently impossible to find now.
Labor went up $25/hr when the new owner took over, and parts haven't gotten any cheaper. Three and a half hours, I guess it's a bugger to get back in with the pulley in place, it had shredded so removal was easy. But I got my gas mower back on the road.

Will be mid 80's next two days. If it would stay about freezing at home we would head north.
Bright side is it will be in the 60's for the week end. Our low last night was 55.

Mid 30's for tomorrow, high 40's for Saturday and mid to high 50's for Sunday. Roller coaster spring like weather is going to be starting

It better become spring some where up north. Today was our third day of near 90's. Not sure what tomorrow will bring.

Warm early this week, cold today, and going to be warm the next few days. Even had a thunderstorm in the forecast. Sooner I can drive an old car, the better. Want to get my '72 on the road this year.

PS pump sounds like a re-man. Have that problem here, same parts float around, so they all get built multiple times and you get in a rut with the same junk time after time. Will have the truck out next week, have an appt. at the VA on Wed. Meantime, it's gonna be single digits tonight, but almost 40 and raining by Sunday. Man, i can't wait until i get the '76 out of storage jail in April so i can make the first Spring road trip.....

It was warmer yesterday, but I didn't get much accomplished. Colder with rain today, wash that pesky salt away. Hopefully we don't get anymore snow, but I'm not counting it out yet. I'll get back to cleaning the garage, and maybe get to installing my custom wired distributor from @HALIFAXHOPS. I still have three more days off, I'm loving my new schedule!

Bob and I took old blue out then the 4x4 for good drives today
DEB425AE-710E-4C0A-BAA3-13714D6B969D.jpeg
CAEC55D0-C8E4-4639-B615-E2CE6B738584.jpeg

High 40's today. It's going to be warmer tomorrow. My road is quite soft, my driveway is ok, but where we park is mush

My road is quite soft, my driveway is ok, but where we park is mush
My yard is a sponge, and there's no high ground, the garage is where the water used to drain:banghead:. My plans for a deck have been modified because of it, so at least I'm getting something out of it. :smuggrin:

Last edited:
40's and 50's are coming this week. This morning was cold and windy with light snow, but the wind has stopped now and it's warmer. Spring is coming I think

I am beginning to think spring has left the room temperature is already in the upper 80's.
Fun thing is we are still seeing people running around in long sleeved hooded sweat shirts.

Back