• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

How many miles are on your Dakota?

The truck actually belonged to my business and their insurance company did pay for the truck(and the amount was about twice what I thought it was worth) and the kicker was I had just replaced the original 5.2 with a 408 a few months prior and I asked the insurance company about buying it back and they sent me a letter saying they had no interest in my truck so I pulled the motor and trans and listed it on E-bay and sold it to a member on this board who ran it for quite a while in his truck. I pulled everything that was usable from the truck and have used it in several other truck projects and the rear end out of it still resides in my Dads 39 Plymouth coupe.I say modest but we got what I believed was a fair settlement(obviously or I wouldnt have accepted it). I didnt miss much work because we owned our own business and I had the luxury at the time of sitting at my desk and getting paid while doing little so I cant complain. The other guy got dragged through the court for DUI and I dont know what the final outcome was for him. He got half his chin ripped off in the crash so he might not have felt it the first night but he got a little pain and suffering himself.

I'm glad to hear you and your son have both recovered. My sister had about the same expeariance with a rear end collision.

My 2001 has 64,000 on a 4.7 V8

Dakota2.jpg

Bought as a ranch vehicle a 1996 3.9L 4x4 standard 5 speed new from dealer back then, as of May 2014 it has logged 266,000 miles. Don't remember any major engine work yet. Rebuilt engine control and fixed the driver's door hinge twice.

I had a 98 5.2 5spd Extended cab had 225000 on it when I sold it. Had 70k when I got it. New clutch at 160k, 2 water pumps, up/low ball joints once, in/out tierods once, and several hub assemblies. Replaced fenders and bed due to Pa rust. Needed rockers when sold. Great truck that I regret selling. Dad had my old 95 reg cab 5.2 5spd. Had 260k on it when he was retreaded. Frame broke. Every 62-96 I look at around here has badly rusted frame. Friend of ours has 300k on 95 5.2 5spd ex cab, but retired it due to frame rust.

Bought my 2000 R/T CC with 31,000 on it.

Now has 146,000.

Radiator
Water pump (x2)
Idler pulley (x3)
Lock solenoid (x4)
Head front freeze plugs
A/C compressor (just clutch, but cheaper to replace comp)
LF hub bearing
MAF and TPS sensors
Distributor pickup plate

Those are the only repairs.

My mom has a 2 wheel drive '08 Dakota with the 4.7L engine, 4 door and the short, sawed off bed. I think it has something like 55k on it now. It's a wonderful truck. I've driven it to Colorado and back several times, it'll squal the tires if you step on the pedal too hard and will accellerate very smartly, but will get around 21-22 mpg running 75 and 24 mpg running 60. Climbing 6-8% mountain grades is ridiculously easy. Plenty of power, good fuel economy, rides good, handles good, very comfortable seats, plenty of leg room and is just a very competant, well thought out vehicle.

At work we used to have an early-mid 90's Dakota 4X4. It had the 3.9 (?) V6 and on long runs at 60 mph average it would get 19-21 mpg. Far small inside and out that the '08, didn't ride as well and while a decent small truck that I liked, the only thing the '08 has in common is the Dakota name and nothing else. Chrysler really had their act together when they designed the '08 truck. Probably one of the best vehicles my family has had.

On my third Dakota. First was a 1996 lease then a 2001. Currently have a 2005 4.7 V8 auto with only 105,000 on it.

247 000KMs so around 150k miles. On my 87. Chassis only though lol. 0 on engine and tranny. For now

I just bought a 2008 Dakota 2wd 3.7 extended cab SXT 56,000 miles. 42rle trans with 3.55s. I hope I have good luck with her

95 Dakota V6 reg cab swb. Dad bought it new (against my recommendation....told him to get one with a V8 :D) and it became mine in 98 with 25k miles on it when he passed away. Have no idea what he did to it (have a good idea lol) because felt like it had 125k miles on it. Now with only 100k miles, it feels like it has 300k but it's had a very hard life from me. After having a 92 V8 Dakota, a V6 just doesn't cut it lol

My first Dakota was a brand-new '93 Club Cab, 5.2L V8 automatic, 4x4. Had that for about three years and 47K miles. Not the best truck, as it went through three overdrive units and three fan clutches. After I sold the blue/silver truck, the paint went away nearly all at once.

Now, I have a 2004 Dakota Quad cab 2wd, 3.7L auto, 189K miles. Just replaced the spark plugs, all six coils, upper radiator hose, and front sway bar bushings.

1999 SLT 4x4 extra cab, 5.2ltr/318ci auto,
Emerald Green Pearl & Silver, dark grey interior
11x 32" tires, 3" Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, AEM Airbox/tube & Gauze filter,
Hypertech tunner, 1.7:1 Harlan Sharp rockers, Edelbrock Chrome shorty headers
mods really woke it up, climes the hills better, far less gear hunting,
slightly better fuel mileage too...

57,775 miles now,
drove it a lot the 1st 2 year, when I lived in Rancho Murieta CC
{flat land in the eastern Sacramento valley} like 33k IIRC....
Now I'm semi retired/have been for a while & work from home,
live in the sticks kind of, in the Sierra's 5+ miles east of Sonora,
most of my miles now, are going up the mtn. to my aunts place in Twain Harte
or driving down the hill to Sonora for shopping...

Budnicks Sonora 99 Dakota 4x4 #1.JPG

Budnicks Sonora 99 Dakota 4x4 #4.JPG

Budnicks Sonora 99 Dakota 4x4 & 68 RR in Garage.JPG

Back