• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Going back to work on my 1979 Step side

Bob Cain

Reaction score
Hi all I installed the motor back in the 79 last weekend getting ready to put the 4.11's and fuel cell in this weekend a special thanks to a member here on FTO for providing me with a manual steering gear that we installed 2 weeks ago i will take more pix and post in a few days And thank you F. T. O. for being here
BC

p_00170.jpg

P1000145.jpg

Last edited:
Q" What is the best shade tree way to lower the front it's Big Block (extra weight) I think i can move the spring pad's and lower the rear it's RWD The front sounds like it could get expensive
Thanks BC

Is it coil spring in front. If so maybe find shorter springs in the junkyard

Yes it is coil i was told that i will need different a arms to lower it I have made a little progress had new bearings and seals pressed on my axle's Just about ready to finish body and paint and re do interior need a new cable for my ratchet shifter then i think it will be ready at the stock altitude
Have a good Mopower Day

Seems a short spring would work if it had a stiffer spring rate. Id pull them and lower the body with a floor jack where i wanted it and see if i could adjust yhe camber? till i had a decent alignment. You might could get a few inches. Then you could see how tall you need the spring compressed.

Seems a short spring would work if it had a stiffer spring rate. Id pull them and lower the body with a floor jack where i wanted it and see if i could adjust yhe camber? till i had a decent alignment. You might could get a few inches. Then you could see how tall you need the spring compressed.

Ya i will look into that thank you

Got my axle's back 411 ls installed 3 inch lug studs clip on exhaust built starting on shifter and drive line then finish engine install and i will be ready for seat's , paint ,wheels and tires almost ready to go a 1/8 mile :}

If you use 3/4 ton 2wd lower control arms, they have a pocket in them. Reuse your existing springs and this drops your front aprox. 2". There is some modifying with the ball joint because of the size difference. There are some articles out there on this swap. Haven't done this swap personally because i raise my trucks, not lower. lol Just thought it might be a cheaper alternative.

Thank you i will probably lower it next build Drag racing season will be over if i don't get it going soon . I WILL BE LOOKING INTO THIS NEXT WINTER Thanks again.

I had a 72 D100 and lowered the front by cutting the front springs. Check Summit Racing to see if they have a lowering spring for your truck.

Well..... The step side has been getting treated like a step child lately! I did buy a Carter T Q on E Bay for it that was to arrive no later than 10/11/12 that i have not received yet. It is able to move in and out of the shop on it's own now. It has a Carter afb looking carb with a picture of a horse on the front and the accelerator pump don't work so i have to remove the camouflage (air cleaner) and prime it when i move it. Its about ready for paint and seat's and has been for a while now Darn Drivers are spoiled brats i want this.. i need that,,
MO..Truck-in people
BC

stansgray.... I got Omaha Orange. I think it is a 74 color My 74 RC was O O. It was originally orange. I did not have the paint code with me when i got a deal on the paint. If i don't use it on the 79 maybe i will paint boat trailers or a refrigerator or something. Going to test the color on something else first i don't care for it's original orange maybe i will satin black it not sure yet going to goggle image some and look at different colors.
I did dig out 2 of my T Q's today and i think one or possibly both are serviceable so i used an entire can of B12 washing off the dust and residue on the 72 truck 440 the other is off a 383 69 cast block i think not sure it was on a 72 Chrysler i got a 69 cast 383 from I have moved all this stuff from MO to NV then to OR where we are becoming closer as well as several b and a motors and transmission's there are several MOPAR vehicles as well thanks for your interest I'll post when a final decision is made
MO..Truck'n
BC

Thank you!-- Been Down for a while hope to have updates soon. Bad time of year money wise hope to progress anyway. I keep forgetting to take my camera we have a new grand daughter and my camera keeps wondering off think wife is having a affair with it. gray07 that is a sweet one in your picture been so tempted to paint mine black.
Take care MOTRUCKIN
BC

Back