• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dads ol dodge

Not really back to work on it yet but did manage to do a little painting, I decided the grill surround would look best body color, pretty happy with it.

For whatever reason dad has been dragging his feet on buying a radiator and with all of my home renovation projects I don't have the money either but have a solution. I've got a brand new aluminum radiator sitting around that fits perfect except the bottom inlet is on the wrong side, I'll remove it, drill a new hole then make a patch and drop it off at the radiator shop to get it welded up. Might fire this thing up really soon!

IMG_20210502_111322101.jpg

I like the color
some progress, labor of love
you're a good son doing for him

I can understand not wanting to spend more $$$
I was pricing out redwood to repair my handrails, decks & steps
it's about the every 10-year reg. deal
I could rebuild my RR's engine for what the
just the patches/repairs various 40-50 or so
2"x6"x12' ConHearth Redwood cost

Dad's old truck is looking good

I like the color
some progress, labor of love
you're a good son doing for him

I can understand not wanting to spend more $$$
I was pricing out redwood to repair my handrails, decks & steps
it's about the every 10-year reg. deal
I could rebuild my RR's engine for what the
just the patches/repairs various 40-50 or so
2"x6"x12' ConHearth Redwood cost

Dad's old truck is looking good
Decks are expensive, I'd rather build that engine!

The ball is rolling and rolling fast now! On our way back from vacation I told the wife "I'm done, I'm 100% focusing everything on dad's truck until it's done" and I've done exactly that. I made a call to Summit and ordered everything else that was needed (mostly weather stripping) and went to work. The bed got 2 good coats of SEM spray in bedliner, it's almost 100% wired, interior only needs the stereo installed and a few other odds and ends to finish it all up. The big news.... I fired it up for the first time last night! Nothing real exciting, I was testing the dash lights and thought.. hmm, wonder if it will fire so I gave it a snort of carb cleaner and it fired instantly. This weekend I'll get the radiator hoses and finish up the last bit of fuel line so I can break the cam in and take it up and down the driveway.

Next step after all of this will be wet sanding and buffing.. errr

Last edited:
You squeezing this in after work or still on vacation time?
Weekends and after work. It's either been blazing hot or raining lately so sitting in my air conditioned garage hasn't been hard lol.

2 steps forward, 2 steps back. It fired up and ran great with no further adjustments and then.. it puked oil everywhere. Still not 100% exactly where it came from.. definitely the oil filter area but not sure if it was the filter or filter mounting plate? I had everything apart and found nothing, reassembled it with a new filter and not a drop now?

Decided to get some glass back in it, my boy and I put the rear glass in then started on the windshield and broke it, errr. I had it 3/4 of the way done and was applying pressure as I worked the lip over and snap! It had a chip in it anyways so no biggie, I wanted to replace it anyways.. this time they can have that job.

That chip in the glass did it. It doesn't take much. I have even had a used glue down break while trying to set it in place by myself.

That chip in the glass did it. It doesn't take much. I have even had a used glue down break while trying to set it in place by myself.
Not in this case, the chip was in the middle towards the bottom, I cracked it across the top corner. No worries, I didn't like the greenish tint or having a chip in it, a new clear glass with the smoke tint across the top was ordered.

Here's the inside of the bed. I didn't go crazy trying to make the inside of the bed perfect, it's a truck and I hope he still hauls stuff in it. It's solid but has some dings. I've been using the SEM bedliner kit from Summit, kinda pricey but so far I like the way this goes on. It's handy, you get 4 bottles of bedliner, a bottle of hardner and the gun, you just pour 8 ounces of hardner into the bedliner bottle, shake it up and spray. Took 1 kit to do this.

Next up is to prep the bottom and apply more to the bottom side then the bed goes back on for the last time.
IMG_20210714_222246216_MP.jpg

Last night I took care of the electrical gremlins, new ignition switch and a few other little things.. stereo is ready to go in. Next up I'll have to order a speaker, seeings how there's only a spot for 1 in the dash I called Crutchfield for advice, they have a nice dual voice coil speaker that will drop right in that way you get left and right playing. I thought about adding a really nice system but he only listens to AM radio so why bother.
IMG_20210714_185946977_MP.jpg

For some of us the clock is the most important radio function. Don't need to spend hundreds of dollars to get a clock.
The CB weather radio gives me the weather any time I want it.

Forgot to mention, the oil leak was from the gasket under the oil filter plate, according to some folks over at FBBO the particular style gasket that came in my Felpro kit will do just that. With the leak fixed and an exhaust leak also fixed this thing is sounding healthy!

The bed didn't go out without a fight, found more rust! As I was prepping it for bedliner I noticed the supports all had rust issues under them errrr. Back to the cutoff wheel and welder.
IMG_20210717_172237230_MP_copy_1502x2003.jpg

IMG_20210717_162857808_MP_copy_2040x1530.jpg

Then I nearly forgot to put mounting pads back on the rear cross member that I replaced, that would have sucked.
IMG_20210725_000426678_MP_copy_1978x1483.jpg

With the front and rear windows installed I pulled it outside for a bath before reinstalling the bed.
IMG_20210723_203636485_MP_copy_1709x1282.jpg
IMG_20210723_205204992_MP_copy_2057x1543.jpg
IMG_20210723_205209834_MP_copy_2073x1554.jpg

Just like with my Charger, window felts are a crappy fit. Look at the rear most clip compared to the originals. Had to bend the tabs straight, remove the clips, drill new holes and reinstall.
IMG_20210729_191309677_MP_copy_1454x1938.jpg

Wrapping up the front fenders I realized I was missing a splash guard but found one good enough to use as a pattern so I could make a new one.
IMG_20210725_111518733_MP_copy_1846x1385.jpg

Back