• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dads ol dodge

Just went and looked at an 84 w/air, it's in the box (right behind the glove box) as I remembered on my 83. The 87 doesn't have air so not a valid comparo, but I'm pretty sure the 93 I had was also in the box.
1610321200902.png

Last edited:
If that is in fact an 82 it should be in the box. The resister for an 82 a/c unit is non-existent. Or at least I have not found one. Do you have the a/c dash controls? If this is not an 82 what year is it? Will be critical to have the right year to get the correct wiring diagram.

If that is in fact an 82 it should be in the box. The resister for an 82 a/c unit is non-existent. Or at least I have not found one. Do you have the a/c dash controls? If this is not an 82 what year is it? Will be critical to have the right year to get the correct wiring diagram.
I'm pretty sure the A/C unit came from an 89.
Just went and looked at an 84 w/air, it's in the box (right behind the glove box) as I remembered on my 83. The 87 doesn't have air so not a valid comparo, but I'm pretty sure the 93 I had was also in the box.
View attachment 18643
My box doesn't have a spot for it there?

The 93 dakota resister was located in the engine compartment. About the same location.That is why I questioned the year. It has been years since working on a 93 full size.

Did you get the a/c control from the same truck?
Yes although it had a terminal that looked like it had gotten really hot so Polara500 sent me one in much better condition which was an identical match. I'll did a little deaper into but if it was moved later on there must be a reason. Seeing how there seems to be signs of heat damage maybe the move to the cowl was a safety thing, nothing to burn in the cowl?

On the Dakota I have found the cowl location to be corrosive. Maybe fine if it is never driven in the rain and always parked in side. Think we were buying one a year. the would just rust away.

Not really Unfortunately. The wife wanted the last room in our basement finished so I ended up in a mess. I had to remove 1,400lbs of concrete and repour it just to get it level enough to tile then finish the drywall and paint it. No sooner than I finished it and the stuff came in to install a radiant heat floor in our living room followed by the hardwood and other associated issues with raising the floor.

Just finished all of it and should be back on the truck this weekend, still shooting for Spring.

I hope it isn't like the resistor in my 99 dakota. Gotta pull the whole dash out to get at it, i found it by accident when I had to replace the heater core. It's in the cowl way up high behind the dash.
I have had several 87-96 dakota's, have replaced a few resistors but not many. At least easy access. I had one dakota (can't remember if it was the 92 or 93) I replaced the one on that truck twice.
The one on my Durango is much easier access in bottom of heater box but that one is a once a year job. I have replaced the pigtail to it twice in 7 years, and someone else had replaced it before we bought that one.
In the 70s and 80s trucks, burnt out connectors throughout the heater system are extremely common. I don't ever remember replacing a resistor on the (too many trucks to remember) 70s or 80s ones that I have owned.
I currently have an 85, factory non AC that I am working on, the wiring on this one is very screwy thanks to the prior owner, I'm kicking around the idea of adding AC to this one while I am fixing it up. Depends on what donors I can find in the local junkyard to rob everything under the dash from. I think my boy still has the whole wiring harness from an 85 ramcharger that I can get all the wiring I'd need for my truck if I decide to go that way

Back