• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dads ol dodge

Yep, believe it or not I threw the block, heads and crank in the carpeted trunk of the Charger and hauled it down...... allot more fun to drive then the Dakota! I did throw down a tarp though and no harm done.
It's more fun when you have an excuse to take the car out , isn't it ? :)

-Got to readin' a bit and got to the "lowering" posts.... about had a coronary..... LOL I "guess". if I were to lower a truck it have to come to 2 things..... ONE, to even make me THINK of lowering a truck, is it 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive? 2 wheel drive, YEP I can lower and SEE lowering one, if its 4 wheel drive, thats where trouble with lowering for me begins. Lowering a 4x4, makes it difficult to "play" as I do. SO, 4x4 I'm more apt to lift, (IF need-be), rest my case in my own '67, it doesn't need ANY "lift" as you all seen....

BUT, I like to play... and having said that not hurting a 4x4 truck well requires height. 2 x4 well, YES! your not as apt to "play" the same way I do...........

-Got to readin' a bit and got to the "lowering" posts.... about had a coronary..... LOL I "guess". if I were to lower a truck it have to come to 2 things..... ONE, to even make me THINK of lowering a truck, is it 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive? 2 wheel drive, YEP I can lower and SEE lowering one, if its 4 wheel drive, thats where trouble with lowering for me begins. Lowering a 4x4, makes it difficult to "play" as I do. SO, 4x4 I'm more apt to lift, (IF need-be), rest my case in my own '67, it doesn't need ANY "lift" as you all seen....

BUT, I like to play... and having said that not hurting a 4x4 truck well requires height. 2 x4 well, YES! your not as apt to "play" the same way I do...........

It is 2 wheel drive but for me to lower a truck it would need to be a 1/2 ton, short bed, tubbed out with a big honking motor and it wouldn't be for hauling anything but ass!

It is 2 wheel drive but for me to lower a truck it would need to be a 1/2 ton, short bed, tubbed out with a big honking motor and it wouldn't be for hauling anything but ass!

This is MY EXACT point!!!! :cool:

Whats your choice of "BIG honkin' motor"?????

on,
This is MY EXACT point!!!! :cool:

Whats your choice of "BIG honkin' motor"?????

Well this one is retaining it's 318 but if I were building one it would be a 572 HEMI but of coarse I couldn't afford that so maybe another stroker based off the 400 big block like what's in my Charger?

What a mess, after allot of thinking it was obvious that I had to cut a perfectly good outer rocker off to get to the layers of rot. Not fun making patterns off of metal in that bad of shape but I think I got it all fixed, still need to weld the outer rocker on but ran out of welf threw primer but that's a 5 minute job so no biggy.

20151106_185820.jpg

20151106_185828.jpg

20151106_185843.jpg

20151106_195732.jpg

20151106_202959.jpg

20151107_204717.jpg

20151107_210236.jpg

20151107_210332.jpg

20151107_212349.jpg

20151107_212759.jpg

Waiting for a little welding but that's it, this was the worst spot on the truck so I'm glad to put a fork in it.

20151107_214535.jpg

ohhhhhh 400 B block in your Charger huh? Thats some motor, all things considered!

NIICE work on the body you got going there!!!!!

What ya do stroke it to 456? or did it bore out to that? (Not sure how you'd go about raising the C.I.D.) Just because of the 2 ways ya can do it....... the B "400" has the largest factory bore size of ANY Mopar so.. I just had to ask!

What ya do stroke it to 456? or did it bore out to that? (Not sure how you'd go about raising the C.I.D.) Just because of the 2 ways ya can do it....... the B "400" has the largest factory bore size of ANY Mopar so.. I just had to ask!

I robbed the complete rotating assembly out of a 71 440, cut 4 throws on the crank for clearance, had the mains cut to fit the 400 and had it all balanced. It has short stubby pistons and revs like a small block! No brainer to me, loose 3/4" of block height (lighter), gain extra space for the headers and get more cubes all at once plus if you've got the parts it's a cheap build too.

Oh..... because it was so rusty it needed bored .060" over making it a 456.

Nice fab work on the panel's "747mopar" ! And I 100 % agree on your ideas about motors . I like the way you think ! I see us getting along "real" good ! :D

Oh..... because it was so rusty it needed bored .060" over making it a 456.
I hate to say this, you took a 400 B block, and bored it .060 over? Hows that work out to a 456?

The bore of a "B" 400 is 4.34, and the stroke is 3.375, .060 over the 4.34 bore doesn't make it a 456, it makes it a 410.5 (411)?

The math just doesn't work out!
((4.34 X 4.34) / 4) X 3.141592654 X 3.375 X 8 = 410.543327971114, or 410 cubic inches (OR 6.72768182441234 Liters "6.7L")

You do a different stroke then?

Correct me if I'm wrong , because it's been a while since I considered this build . After my 400 long block got stolen I kind of dropped the idea . And I know your talking about the 456 in your Charger . But the 451 build was a 400 with a 440 crank and rotating assembly . The thing I can't remember is if it was a stock cylinder bore or 30 over ?

Now who in there right mind would even consider building such a truck ? :rolleyes: lol

Now who in there right mind would even consider building such a truck ? :rolleyes: lol

WELL..... here's my "rendition" to that!

To_Pull_Stink_off_Shit.jpg

-My artwork on the 'puter using MS "Paint"

Mob,
YES it is...... I would LOVE to have that '58 Dodge Power wagon W500..... Just because I like 'em BIG..... -Thing's a monster without all the lift! LOL

BUT if I had my way.......... (do you know the new stuff from Mopar AKA Chrysler?)

I'd take one of the NEW Generation 3, 440 Hemi "short blocks" SAME exterior size as the 5.7L, the 6.1L, the 6.2L (Hellcat), the 6.4L, OK? (it FIT anywhere a 5.7L Hemi will as its a direct bolt in...) BUT, the 440, being a 440, Bore it out to take a good titanium sleeve, (just like they did the Hellcat), they took a 6.4L "392" and bored it just enough to sleeve it, and it became the 6.2L "376 C.I.D" we all know as the Hellcat Hemi. OK? You follow me so far? THEN with the sleeves in to bring it from a 440 to a 426...... in metric a 7.2L (440), sleeved down to become a 7.0L (426), and then put ALL the stuff from the Hellcat engine INTO the block, to then make a new REAL "426" Hemi...... That be a WILD freakin motor I bet!

OK I'll stop now, sorry 747mopar for robbing your thread here........ (I am terrible for it)

Personally I like hearing about motor builds and ideas people come up with . Someone should start a thread on there build or there ideas on a future motor build . I don't have anything going right now myself other then tweaking my 440 and changing up a couple of things . But with winter coming that's been put on the back burner for a lil bit .

Back