• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dads ol dodge

Good job so far ! If I get a chance this week , I'll slide under one of my trucks and get a picture of the E brake set up for you .If you think that will help ?
I'm sure it would help, I'll stop by the salvage yard and see if they have one but if not I'll just make one. The only thing I think I'm missing should just be a small stamped piece of metal with 3 holes in it.

Wow! Tha whole chassis, suspension and brakes look's like it just rolled out from 'Factory!'.
Thanks but I don't think they ever painted them haha! I do like the way it's looking except the pitting in spots of the frame but what are you gonna do, weld and grind forever, fill the frame with putty or just except the fact that it's just a frame that will not be seen again and forge on?

Thanks but I don't think they ever painted them haha! I do like the way it's looking except the pitting in spots of the frame but what are you gonna do, weld and grind forever, fill the frame with putty or just except the fact that it's just a frame that will not be seen again and forge on?

I still think you did the right thing by painting it, even if it never gets seen by most people. It's going to eat away at me when I do my truck, if I don't do what you did. Maybe I'll have a huge shop by then!

Some one is a perfectionist! Or OCD! LOL... I am so "anal retentive" it drives my wife mad!
Btw. It vet's worst as you get older! Ha!
Your work is excellent!

Some one is a perfectionist! Or OCD! LOL... I am so "anal retentive" it drives my wife mad!
Btw. It vet's worst as you get older! Ha!
Your work is excellent!
Thanks. You know how it goes..... you make one part look pretty then your not happy until it all is. Going to try and get the few missing pieces today so I can wrap up the chassis before the weekend so I can start on the cab. I'm getting up against the wall on getting things to the blaster before winter (it snowed a bit Sunday) so I really need to get the bed, cab and inner fenders to him asap.

Thanks. You know how it goes..... you make one part look pretty then your not happy until it all is. Going to try and get the few missing pieces today so I can wrap up the chassis before the weekend so I can start on the cab. I'm getting up against the wall on getting things to the blaster before winter (it snowed a bit Sunday) so I really need to get the bed, cab and inner fenders to him asap.
"Snow" , SNOW ! Don't use those four letter words around me ! .... Can you tell I'm "not" looking forward to another New England winter ? lol

"Snow" , SNOW ! Don't use those four letter words around me ! .... Can you tell I'm "not" looking forward to another New England winter ? lol
Me either, I cry when the salt hits the road and the Charger goes into hibernation now. You have to always look on the goid side which is, no mowing grass and there's usually little to do but work in the garage which isn't always a bad thing. I try to make notable improvements every winter, this winter it will be adding A/C to the Charger and hopefully finishing this truck.

Me either, I cry when the salt hits the road and the Charger goes into hibernation now. You have to always look on the goid side which is, no mowing grass and there's usually little to do but work in the garage which isn't always a bad thing. I try to make notable improvements every winter, this winter it will be adding A/C to the Charger and hopefully finishing this truck.
Yeah , no grass to mow but I have snow removal to deal with . Plus I plow during the winter , so I get to look forward to long hours with no sleep , Driving to work in the worse conditions , the cold and coming home to start all over again with my yard and a couple of others . If I get the time in between storms , I try and get something done in the garage ( That's if I'm not to tired ) but there's no heat out there yet . So the only thing I have is one of those bullet shaped heaters that's so loud , you can't hear yourself think . At least my Warlock will be all tucked in nice and comfy . lol

O.K. I got some parts and left some parts there! Shackle bushings wroooooooooong........... I'm getting so tired of getting the wrong freaking parts already! Anyways I took the old spindle bearings with me so I'd be sure to get the right ones and picked up the U-bolts that go figure were wrong but I'm so sick of driving that I just drilled the plates to 5/8" and used them.

Other than wrong parts here's the other bad news, after installing the brakes it didn't sound right so I threw an indicator on the wonderful Chines rotors and walla .015" out of true! Off they come and back for a skim cut to true up what those cheap @$$*@!&s Can't seam to get right!

20151019_183734.jpg

20151019_183741.jpg

Now another aggravation! The brake pads rub, can't say if this is from an oversized rotor, an over machined re-man caliper or just improperly bent tabs on the pads???? I do know that bending the tabs a bit more is how I'm going to fix it though.

20151019_183756.jpg

20151019_183812.jpg

Now for the question, where do rubber bands fit into brakes????

20151019_183049.jpg

At least it looks good.

20151019_183117.jpg

I swear I'm getting so fed up with this Chinese SHIT, most parts are just complete crap anymore!!!!!!!!!

I swear I'm getting so fed up with this Chinese SHIT, most parts are just complete crap anymore!!!!!!!!!

I worked at a few parts stores in my day and only one would take the rotors and cut them prior to sending them to a customer, and they never charged for it. They wanted happy customers. Everything now sucks. The bottom line is more important that customer service or quality product.

I think the rubber bands are for dampening vibration, but I can't say for sure as I never have used any.

It does look nice!

My take on the rubber bands is, how long is a rubber band going to stay in tact on a caliper?????? Why even install them wherever they go?

O.K. I got some parts and left some parts there! Shackle bushings wroooooooooong........... I'm getting so tired of getting the wrong freaking parts already! Anyways I took the old spindle bearings with me so I'd be sure to get the right ones and picked up the U-bolts that go figure were wrong but I'm so sick of driving that I just drilled the plates to 5/8" and used them.

Other than wrong parts here's the other bad news, after installing the brakes it didn't sound right so I threw an indicator on the wonderful Chines rotors and walla .015" out of true! Off they come and back for a skim cut to true up what those cheap @$$*@!&s Can't seam to get right!

View attachment 5834

View attachment 5835

Now another aggravation! The brake pads rub, can't say if this is from an oversized rotor, an over machined re-man caliper or just improperly bent tabs on the pads???? I do know that bending the tabs a bit more is how I'm going to fix it though.

View attachment 5836

View attachment 5837
Look'in good ! Bending the tabs down "should" do the trick . I normally use either two hammers or a hammer and a punch . As far as the rubber bands . I haven't seen those in "years" ! If I remember right they go around the hold down on top of your caliper . Like I said I haven't seen those in years , way back when I was first twisting a wrench . I used to use them all the time but haven't in quite some time . So I wouldn't worry about them . It'll be fine . As for your rotors being out of round . I'm not surprised . When I swapped my rear to 11" I got everything new and I had two majorly out of round drums , two bad wheel cylinders and the self adjuster cable was the wrong length . I had brake problems from the rear for a week trying to figure everything out and get it fixed right .
Now for the question, where do rubber bands fit into brakes????

View attachment 5838

At least it looks good.

View attachment 5839

By the way , here's some pictures of the e-brake cable set up that you needed . The rusty truck is my 84 and the cleaner painted shots are under my Warlock . There all pretty much the same just different length's for different trucks . But hopefully you get an idea what you need .
IMG_4455.JPG

Back