• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

91 Dakota towing limits?

I'll make sure it's a 2", but I also gotta ask Locu about that story up above. When you guys got back from that haul, did you check the trans or the fluid? Check to make sure there was no burning fluid smell? I'll still probably be looking into a trans cooler https://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Autom...automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive and part of the trip will be almost-flat running. Once you get up the pass and over a few hills, it's mostly plateau. Heck, most of eastern oregon is one big plateau.

Went the I-84 route one time on a high school football trip to Wallowa (way up northeast) and while everybody else was vegged into the on-trip movie (that I'd seen a million times) I was noticing the grade we were climbing once we were somewhere east of the Dalles

Yeah my receiver has a 1-7/8" ball, but it can be swapped for any ball with a 1" dia. shank. Receiver limits: 5000lbs trailer weight, 500lbs tongue weight

When you guys got back from that haul, did you check the trans or the fluid? Check to make sure there was no burning fluid smell? I'll still probably be looking into a trans cooler
Filled it up with gas next time he took it out. He laughed his ass off when he found out the ball was smaller than the trailer, that's just the type of guy he is. Whatever the Dakota cane with from the factory is what got it back home. He said it hauled just fine.

Well that's reassuring, but I'll still play it safe with the oil cooler. As for the ball, I picked up a 2" ball and I'll take along the 1-7/8" just in case. As for additional stuff I'm taking along with me:
  • Usual tools (wrenches, sockets, pliers, channel locks, knife, etc)
  • Jack, stands, planks and chocks
  • Jug of 85W140 gear oil (idk if thats the best oil to put in the diff but it's what I have readily available and it should work for the trip home)
  • Wire and duct tape (for securing the driveshaft)
  • All emergency fluids (motor oil, ATF fluid, coolant, DOT 3, power steering, etc never can be too careful on a long trip)
Some of this stuff is already in my emergency kit I keep in the rig at all times, so in case I break down I could possibly get home without having to call for a tow

20170909_183607[1].jpg

This is my hitch, this pic was with the 1-7/8" ball which I've already swapped to a 2" ball. Punched in the numbers on uhaul's site and they "approved" it (although stating that it still may be subject to inspection). Do they inspect much? What are their "criteria"? In a couple days my trans oil cooler and trans filter arrive in the mail, on top of a good cooler I figured new fluid after a couple years was in order.

See a reciever and ball. Reted at 5000. Should be ok. The hitch itself if a category 3 and rated at 5000 with a 500 lb. tounge wt it should be fine. Will also need at least a 4 wire plug and wired correctly.

See a reciever and ball. Reted at 5000. Should be ok. The hitch itself if a category 3 and rated at 5000 with a 500 lb. tounge wt it should be fine. Will also need at least a 4 wire plug and wired correctly.
Yeah the wiring is the only thing I just noticed that isn't quite ready. It has a 6-way socket but the wires are gacked. Going to town tomorrow to get a 4-way conversion set.

Gave the Dakota a change of trans fluid. Just a simple pan drop and filter change. It's been a few years since it was last changed, but no burnt smell to it and honestly by the looks of the fluid in the bottom of the pan it's still good. Oh well, I already got the pan dropped so in goes some ATF+4. No metal shavings and barely any gunk in the pan, so that's a good sign.

20170913_223805.jpg

So is the trans oil cooler really recommended at this point? I gotta head into town to pickup a part to adapt it to the existing lines.

Ok I got the part and got the cooler in. I followed the recommended method and installed it downstream from the radiator, still keeping the radiator in the loop.

20170914_152046.jpg

20170914_154115.jpg

Before that I dropped the trans pan and changed the fluid + filter, but tbh the old fluid was still red and no metal shavings + barely any gunk in the pan

20170913_223805.jpg

That's a good sign I guess, the trans is good to go.

After everything was changed and installed, I ran it down the road & up the hill then back a few times. Let it cool off in between, let fittings and the pan gasket to wear in. Made sure pan bolts were tight as with the hose clamps. No leaks at all. Moticeable difference between the radiator outlet and the return from the cooler. Going with 6 quarts was the right call too, after warmed up the fluid sits at 3/4 the "OK" range on the dipstick. Trans is ready to roll. Rewired the trailer light hookup, for some reason the trailer light controller isn't picking up right turn signal (which is clearly working).

That's gotta make you feel better.
With how long it's been since it was opened or refilled, I'd expect more junk in there. It was last opened some years ago when I had it rebuilt, I took it to Aamco for a fluid change but they botched a transfer case seal replacement so by the time I caught on that something was wrong I was eating $1100 in tranny repair. At least our local mechanic did it right, unlike Aamco. Will never go there again.

Fixed trailer lighting, that's working properly now. Trans cooler lines and pan look good, no leaks. All fluids topped off. Now just gotta make sure my copilot is good to do this and we can commence with Operation Demon Retrieval

Got that all important U-haul approval and dolly reserved?
Yep yep yep, called one of the uhaul places there in Boise, got the setup approved and dolly ready to go.

Especially glad I got the wonky trailer lighting fixed. Turns out the kit I got was for vehicles with individual-bulb lighting (on the Dakota the taillight, brake and turn signal circuits all feed the same bulb). I just bypassed the kit's converter module, did what I shoulda done in the first place and wired the plug directly to each circuit and now the lights all work PEACHY. Remind me to take that thing back to Walmart for a return after the trip.......

Well good news is my copilot got the green light so we're on the way. Currently somewhere an hour east of Bend, legit desert!

That trans cooler was dedinitely a wise investment. Rolled into Sisters, felt the trans oil pan. Was warm, yet I could hold my hand to it no prob.

If you want the short story (in the words of my generation, TL;DR), scroll to the bottom.

Long Story:
We headed out from the house at 3am to make as much of daylight as we could on the way back (my brother insisted on driving the way there). Sunrise came somewhere 40+ miles east from Bend. PURE DESERT! A whopping 27 degrees too!
20170916_061612.jpg
20170916_063232.jpg
20170916_064803.jpg
20170916_064848.jpg
Resized_20170916_061856.jpeg
Resized_20170916_062422.jpeg

And here people think Oregon is all green!

Anyways, we trucked on thru, gassed up in Burns and kept goin. Plenty o steep grades east of Burns once you cross the plateau! My brother kept ignoring me when I said to slow it to a good speed and let the trans coast down the hills, he kept using the brakes, and I'll touch on this again in a minute. After a couple more hours we passed Vale and came to the canyons that dropped us down into Ontario
Resized_20170916_100958.jpeg

From Ontario it was a straight shot on I-84 to Boise.

We go check out the car, here it is in his garage
20170916_145457.jpg

Checked it out, all appeared in order, nothing that wasn't shown in the pics. We go and come back with the dolly and cash in hand, and work on loading it on the dolly. He reminds me it runs, cranks it up and it fires immediately, so we drive it on up and strap it in. I couldn't find anything underneath to wire up the driveshaft to, so I decide little option but to pull it all. Prepared with drain pan for a waterfall, just a little trickle, so I just plugged the hole and put the shaft in the pickup and off we went.

Made it back west of Ontario, stopped short of the canyons to eat lunch and let it cool off before the real trials began
20170916_164920.jpg

With the trans OD off it had no problems climbing the canyon. Once we got to the grades 40 or 50 miles from Burns, however, that was a different story. Made it up to the top, had to stop and let the engine cool off (checked the trans fluid and trans lines, they were gettin toasty but nothing bad thanks to that trans cooler). After cooling down and dropping down the grade, it was much happier. It being almost freezing out and having the heater goin helped too. Found out that thanks to my brother riding the brakes on the way, they were pretty faded on the way down, luckily low gear made the engine slow it down and dropping into 2 under 45mph was an option too. Gassed up again in Burns, once on the desert plateau, the dolly says 55mph max but the OD had no problem cruising a modest 60 (dropped gear obviously for the few small hils before Bend). Few hours of pitch black desert, then Bend then Sisters. Had to stop and let it cool again after the grade this side of Sisters. Once past that it was a straight shot to Sweet Home then ACTUAL home. Bolted the driveshaft back on, parked it in the garage, then turned the dolly in to uhaul the next day (today).

Short Story:
The Dakota got worked over a bit on the hills, but we got the car back home.

*Here it is in my garage
20170917_015647.jpg

Glad you made it there and back, with a prize to boot! No go join FABO if you haven't already so you can share in the wonderment of the A Body world!

The Dakota sounds like it did its job. I know Oregon has every type of climate possible, I didn't see the desert part, but I saw the rainforest part! It was just above freezing when I left my friends house and I saw sun, rain, clouds, more rain than clouds and grey skies along the Columbia. It's a different state.

Back