• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

87 W150 Wiring

Lots of controversy on this issue. I just installed a fuse to the size of the fusible link wire. The only one that has caused a problem it the ignition circuit. 40 amps will not carry the load. Some say to use 135% of the fusible link. If you have a digital amp meter just check the load of each circuit and add the 135% to select the mini location and insert a fuse to directly match the fusible link. That way you at least are able to go up a size if needed.

Lots of controversy on this issue. I just installed a fuse to the size of the fusible link wire. The only one that has caused a problem it the ignition circuit. 40 amps will not carry the load. Some say to use 135% of the fusible link. If you have a digital amp meter just check the load of each circuit and add the 135% to select the mini location and insert a fuse to directly match the fusible link. That way you at least are able to go up a size if needed.
where do I find out exactly what that is???? That there is my problem and stumbling point, at the moment.

getting tired of the circle jerk, have asked more than just here plus a few hours of my life I wont get back going round and round on Google... I DONT CARE the wiring color code vs gauge size of link..... Why is it so hard to put an amp rating to a given gauge size fusible? Per inch, per foot, if it must be...… this truck will run again and that will not include replacing fusible links with OE style fusible links.... I want to make some progress here, tired of spinning my wheels.... HELP

Install a battery hook a good ammeter between it and the bulk head feed wire to be checked with all the loads of that circuit on. Take the reading and fuse accordingly with a margin of error for a short period of load spike. Guess that is were the 30% add figures in. 40 amp load + 30% would be a 50 amp fuse.
But like I stated with just using a 30 amp fuse were there was a 30 amp fusible link wire the only one the has ever bothered was the main ignition switch feed. I will be going to a 50 amp or greater maxi on that circuit with the different box. I have not checked it as yet for load but think it could go to 60 amps with the Dakota box.

The Maxi fuses will work for what you want, but I would want a wiring diagram so I can see what is on each circuit and size the fuse the best I can.

The Maxi fuses will work for what you want, but I would want a wiring diagram so I can see what is on each circuit and size the fuse the best I can.
Would not it be better to just connect a good ammeter in series with a battery and take the reading of what use to be each fusible link. Then connect to a appropriate size fuse. What's on the circuit doesn't take the wire length into account.

Well I guess I could temporarily wire the missing sections straight, w/o any sort of fuse/ if I can get an amprobe, to borrow from someone. So I can take those readings.
I have 2 fusibles hanging in midair not hooked up to anything right now

Would not it be better to just connect a good ammeter in series with a battery and take the reading of what use to be each fusible link. Then connect to a appropriate size fuse. What's on the circuit doesn't take the wire length into account.
You would need a amp clamp, my fluke meter is only fused for 10 amps so I wouldn't want to put in line.

I have a few calls, messages and an Email into the Littelfuse company related to that bulletin that I posted above, I did finally get a call back from them 2 days ago, the guy barely spoke English, from what I got out of it he said he would pass this along to someone else within the company that could better answer this.... I looked up the company directly online and put in an Email yesterday to their "CONTACT US" thing, being it's the weekend, I hope someone sees this early next week and gets back to me.... Im off work this coming week, due to this COVID bull$#!t, might be time for a "field trip"" there to try and get an answer in person…. I mean, they put out a product bulletin promoting 2 products supposedly MADE for this purpose, so obviously someone there knows something....

FINALLY got a response from Littlefuse…. and an email to which to send what I'll call "supporting info" which I tried last night.... but ran into a road block... I bought the factory service manuals on CD for both 1984 and 1985, from which I tried a couple of different ways to scan the relevant pages and include them in my Email.... I tried to copy 4 pages of the wiring diagrams, yellow'd the important circuits and tried to scan them back into my computer and it would not let me.... I was able to with my old printer, 1st time I tried to do so off of this one.... says part of the printer program to allow that wasn't loaded to computer? I thought when adding an accessory to a computer when you find and load its "driver" it was everything needed pertaining to the accessory... I guess not.
I then opened up the manual on a different window and tried to copy/paste the pages in question an got a response "file too big"... as it turns out to try to copy/past any portion of the manual, the computer tries to load the whole manual as an attachment, not just the few pages in question.... computer idiot here, have to wait for my son or daughter in law to stop by for assistance there..... Can you see why I prefer OLDER vehicles, that are more mechanical than electrical/electronic in nature??? I hate computers.....

FINALLY got a response from Littlefuse…. and an email to which to send what I'll call "supporting info" which I tried last night.... but ran into a road block... I bought the factory service manuals on CD for both 1984 and 1985, from which I tried a couple of different ways to scan the relevant pages and include them in my Email.... I tried to copy 4 pages of the wiring diagrams, yellow'd the important circuits and tried to scan them back into my computer and it would not let me.... I was able to with my old printer, 1st time I tried to do so off of this one.... says part of the printer program to allow that wasn't loaded to computer? I thought when adding an accessory to a computer when you find and load its "driver" it was everything needed pertaining to the accessory... I guess not.
I then opened up the manual on a different window and tried to copy/paste the pages in question an got a response "file too big"... as it turns out to try to copy/past any portion of the manual, the computer tries to load the whole manual as an attachment, not just the few pages in question.... computer idiot here, have to wait for my son or daughter in law to stop by for assistance there..... Can you see why I prefer OLDER vehicles, that are more mechanical than electrical/electronic in nature??? I hate computers.....
They are just tools and like any other tool you just have to learn to use them.

Did you try printing directly from the cd? page to page. You will need to know what pages you want to print. If the CD is indexed it will help.

Yes I did print several pages that way.
But when I tried to scan them back to a different file after I wrote notes on the copies and highlighted the important stuff, either the computer or the printer wouldn't let me

And when I tried to save individual pages from the CD, each time it took the "save" as the whole thing not just that page
I know I was able to do it when I had windows 7 and not 10.

Back