1. Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dismiss Notice

87 W150 Wiring

Discussion in 'General Dodge Truck Discussions' started by 1SykRyd, Aug 27, 2019.

1. 1SykRyd

1SykRydMember

I want to replace the multiple connection fuseable link insulator under the hood of my truck with a fuse block. I'm thinking I need to cut the insulator from the battery feed, use that as the 12v input on the new fuse block, then remove the links and put a correct amp fuse in place of them. Is this right?

Link.gif

2. 65 sporty

65 sportyWell-Known Member

Is a fusible link blown now? Why do you want them gone? If you keep blowing one you need to find the short that's burning it up. Yes, a fuse block will be easier, but usually fusible links last forever unless a short kills one.

3. 1SykRyd

1SykRydMember

Well... I've never really been a fan of the fuseable link, and to be perfectly honest I never understood why MoPar didn't just use a fuse block in the first place. So when I rescued what was left of this rust bucket '87 W150 from behind a barn... I decided to do a resto-rat mod on it instead of restoring it to factory specs. And since I'll probably end up rewiring the entire truck... there's really no reason for me to keep the problematic links. I was just confirming what I was already thinking concerning swapping in fuses in place of the links. I'll still need to determine the correct amp size for each link though.

Basically I'm at the "buildup before the complete tear down" phase now... removing the rusted out parts and installing the rust free ones. The doors and fenders I picked up in Bakersfield, CA last winter. Future plans involve replacing the drivers side floor pan, swapping in a SWB frame and mounting a 6.5' step-side bed.

Hmmm... maybe I should just turn this into a build thread instead.

1987 Dodge W150 Left Front 01.jpg 1987 Dodge W150 Left Front 02.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • 65 sporty

65 sportyWell-Known Member

You will need a wiring diagram to see what each link powers, it's usually more than 1 circuit so size the fuse accordingly.

• 7mopar

7moparWell-Known Member

I have done it on my D350. The reason for doing it was the wire feed to the splitter for the various fuse links was no long viable. You should be able to size the fuses needed from the color of fuse link wire. Each different color wire is rated for a certain amperage rating.

• 1SykRyd

1SykRydMember

Thanks for the reply. I found a color chart for the fusible links in my '87 service manual showing the color used for the gauge of wire (e.g. black = 12g, red = 14g, dark blue = 16g, grey = 18g, and orange = 20g, etc.), but it doesn't list the amperage rating of the individual links, nor does the manual have a master wiring diagram for me to reference. Just a series of location images for the harness. :arghh: :banghead: Do you happen to have any of this information?

• 1SykRyd

1SykRydMember

I picked up a straight and rust free '84 SWB frame for $100 last night. It didn't come with the axles, but it did include the fuel tank, both rear springs, and the rear driveshaft. I'm planning to sandblast and powder coat it matte black.

1984 Dodge SWB Frame.jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    • 7mopar

7moparWell-Known Member

Different guages of wire are for different amp ratings. Just need to find that chart.

• 1SykRyd

1SykRydMember

I came across this sketch of where the six links under the hood go (and their amps)... but it's for a '90 D150 with a Cummings and so I'm not sure it's accurate for my truck.

Fuseable Link Amps.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
      Dismiss Notice