• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

78 dodge d150 cracked frame at the steering box

Rude Robert

Reaction score
Hi I found this over the weekend while doing a tune up. Any suggestions on how to fix this, thank you for your suggestions

20210308_164523.jpg

Weld in a backup plate on the outside of the frame big enough to go past all of the mount holes and then redrill the mount holes
Then still a small hole right at each end of the crack and weld up the crack, grind down flush so there is no interference mounting the gearbox back in place

I have a welder, I have never removed a steering box before do I have to totally remove it from the truck it's in the fender well at the front left tire. I found this part and bought it last night hoping that I can use this somehow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210310-065141_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210310-065141_Chrome.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 177
In the picture it looks like the gearbox is out of the truck.
Yes you must plate it farther than the size of the gearbox, and redrill the mounting holes. Just because you have a welder, are you sure of your abilities? Sorry had to ask.
The brace is a good idea but the cracks still need welded and reinforced.

you can go through all the stuff volaredon said or you can weld it up and get the part mother mopar sold to fix it. i believe sweptline makes it and it is about 120.00 i think. i have a few. spares. i can go out and take a few pics of and post them here if you would like me to.

The Dodge connection part looks good, but I would remove the box, weld the crack and weld a plate to the frame just like @volaredon suggested. I can weld good and I am cheap. :)

Well thanks for the offer in in s.calI. I was planning to weld the cracks too. I was thinking about, in addition to that part that I posted if I could weld a plate between the frame and steering box too. Not sure if this would change the way that the truck steers or not? I have a Lincoln 220 welder and I like flux core. I am wondering if I can leave the steering box on the pitman arm and slide it away from the frame enough to weld and grind, or do I just remove it entirely thanks

I would remove the box from the frame at least. The frame will not care which side you weld the crack from. Do it on the side easiest accesed. Just follow the instructions above and make sure you have good penetration.

Put the plate on the opposite side of the frame rail to where the gearbox mounts. Then the steering linkage will be in the same place as original. I'm not real crazy about flux core wire for a job like this.

I just got home from work and its raining so I went into the fender well and sprayed liquid wrench on what i could reach as far as the nuts for the steering box and i don't see any. I see the threads and i asked someone else to see what they think about the steering box is tapped and self threaded. He said no that there were nuts. Well I didn't see any and still don't lol. Could these steering box have been threaded?

THEY ARE NOT NUTS. the bolts are threaded into the gear box. if you use that plate you will need longer bolts also. then 1 bolt nut, lock washer under the core support. look on you tube for frame crack repair to see if there is a video on it.run that guy out of your garage, he is going to cost you money.

i just looked for a you tube video or anything with pictures that would help you. there are not any. when you take the bolts out of the gearbox, support the box, weld the crack up and then grind it down some. what ever the thickness of the plate you got, add that thickness to the length of the bolts. if you have to, you can go a little longer on bolts but no shorter. then bolt plate to inside of frame and install bolts snuggly. then you will have to drill hole for front arm to bolt to under core support area. hope this helps.

Back