• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

78 dodge d150 cracked frame at the steering box

thank you for the replies. I did put holes all in the cracks which I think and hope will make it stronger. I have a Lincoln 220 welder and I am using .35 on the wire. I can use gas, I just don't have any time to get off early during the workday to get them filled or replaced without taking time off of work, 5 to 5 is my shift and the shops are closed then and on the weekends. I thank you for telling me the reasons for sure, I weld outside most of the time and the wind here is always blowing and the flux core works well in this wind. I got off early to try and cut out a carboard template to try and get template at least started. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions

Came home early and traced out in cardboard what I could on my own then I just did the ruff cutting I left some that is not to my marks. Easier to grind down then not have enough lol

Attachments

• 20210319_175311.jpg
    20210319_175311.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 157
never can tell who you might run into online, or what they might know. (or not) and I know about being able to get to local businesses before they close, even though I finally got a 7 to 3:30 job. I work the farthest from home I ever have. so I make up for a "decent hour" job in drive time.
On welding gas.... the last time I bought 75/25 the bottle of gas was "only" $96. but the bazztards also soaked me for $24 (25%) Haz mat charge. Been dealing with same place for years this was a first, And will be the last. They pull that $#!T on me again I will leave my bottle and go down the road. (since the place down the road is a competitor brand, though 75/25 is 75/25. one place wont fill the other guy's bottles.

oh yeah gotta ask.... you did weld in the drilled holes afterwards, right?

My preference would have been on the inside and bolted threw it. Would have added strength at the bolt holes and rail.

Do you think putting the plate between the frame and steering box would be a problem?..I called a place that's been in business for 30 years doing front end work he called it fish plate I think and said putting my plate there should not cause a big issue other than maybe the steering wheel being off a bit..I'm still looking at options for dure

Attachments

• 20210321_144706.jpg
    20210321_144706.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 166
This is the plate that I came up with but I can't form it to the frame I tried but it started to break. I think I'll have to totally leave this out, the big hole is for the steering box and it goes into it but I can't bend it to the frame

With that plate you made burned to the outside of the frame and the brace on the inside it should be good.

got access to any sort of hydraulic press brake? I wouldnt think you would have to burn a hole in the middle of the plate for the box.... basically just a slightly oversized C channel that would slip fit over the frame was what I had in mind (or slightly undersized and welded to the inside of the channel) then just redrill your holes for the mount bolts. would not need welded solid, welded an inch, space an inch or 2 along the perimiter would be plenty/

The power steering lines don't go through the frame and they are still attached to the steering box. Where that big hole is, there so that the steering box (hump) goes into. I need to try and mold the piece that I cut out, needs to bend in, to match the frame, well this is how it was done from the factory. The steering box has a hump in it, which goes up against the frame, which also has the hump in it, to allow the steering box to sit flush with the frame. I tried to match those and my plate started breaking as I tried to bend it. I will try and send a picture again of the hump section from my phone.

If you can zoom in, you will see my lines are connected, there is one with orange paint, it is actually in front of the hump area about the middle. You can see the two upper and lower bolt holes on the left and right. I tried to get the plate to bend to match. The reason that I was thinking that I had to put the rectangle style hole in there was that perhaps I would be sticking out too far from the frame on each bolt hole and that if I did tighten to 60 or 70 foot pounds of torque, I would probably break off the steering pump sections that the bolts go into. I was thinking that I could put several flat washers on each hole, but I am thinking that there will be too much of the steering box not being supported by the frame. I am only assuming that the steering box in part is supported by pressing up against the frame which stops the steering box from flexing it self as you turn the wheels? Am I going in the wrong direction with this kind of thinking?

I can also make this plate that I made into two sections avoiding anything in the hump section too. I tried putting c clamps in to hold the piece in place but it was hard to do by myself, I had to lie on the ground tightening the clamp, with no way of knowing how far I was off so that I could try and hammer that section of the hump to try and form it. So I had to use my vise to try and make it bend and this is where it started to break at the section where I cut out that rectangle. I didn't break it totally so I can make another piece but I would need to go buy more metal lol...I am trying thanks again for all your help

Back