• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Wiper bushings....

Cranky1

Banned Old Stinky Fart
Reaction score
My 95 Dakota seems to eat these up every couple of years but since I don't drive it all that much in the rain, well, they don't seem to last long. I figured since they are nylon/plastic or whatever, they don't need to be lubed but they do go on easier with the use of WD-40. Am I doing something wrong here? The pins they fit over look ok to me....

I would suspect the WD-40 is to blame. Could be causing a number of issues. Could be breaking down the nylon bushing or any coatings on it. Also if there ever was any grease on there the WD-40 for sure cleaned it all out and once the WD-40 is dry you have nothing lubing the bushings. Even though it says its can be used to lube things WD-40 is not really good for that.

Yah use some sort of grease . WD 40 is a penatrateing oil not a lubracant and wount last . This may sound crazy and I know I'm opening up myself to a bunch of joke's but I've had the best luck with vasaline . After going thew three set's of bushing's in my Ramcharger in two winters I tried it just because I did'nt have any fresh grease on hand when I installed the last set about three years ago . So far so good .

Well, last summer we had a drought here but not this year. So far so good on the bushings....and I didn't use any WD-40 but I'll be danged if I remember what was used lol. Think it was the WLG....

I just replaced my original wiper bushings on my 79 lil red exp. ( I'm the original owner) because it fell apart...LOL......hows that for an original part? The best part is, I walked into the dodge dealer, and they had a bag with 6 in it, still on the shelf....so I bought them all. I was completely shocked they had them! ,after all this truck is 33 years old.

Yeah I got them for my 72 D100 I use to have. Now I can get them in the help isle at the box parts store.

Remember that Mopar ran the same bushing for at least 30 years. I have a 68 Dart with them and a 1989 Dakota with the same bushings.

I just replaced my original wiper bushings on my 79 lil red exp. ( I'm the original owner) because it fell apart...LOL......hows that for an original part? The best part is, I walked into the dodge dealer, and they had a bag with 6 in it, still on the shelf....so I bought them all. I was completely shocked they had them! ,after all this truck is 33 years old.
My local dealer didn't have them but quoted me a price.....way high.

Yeah I got them for my 72 D100 I use to have. Now I can get them in the help isle at the box parts store.
Made in China?

Remember that Mopar ran the same bushing for at least 30 years. I have a 68 Dart with them and a 1989 Dakota with the same bushings.
Yup...had to replace them on my 74 Pickup once and my 95 Dakota a couple of times.

Technically not supposed to put any lubricant thats petroleum based on any plastic or rubber. It breaks the substance down. Thats what lithium and silicone base lubricants were designed for.

Back