• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

W250 front axle rebuild?

Polara_500

Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit I know next to nothing about 4wd vehicles, so with that in mind, do I pay someone or test my aptitude and/or fortitude? The subject is an 87 W250, 360/NP435 with I believe a 44 front axle w/CAD (although the CAD has been replaced with a Posi-Lock which I was able to cobble in). I used the 4wd the other day and heard some loud clunks that felt to be from the front left corner and found some play in the u joint there (knuckle?) and have noticed staining in that area from weeping/leaking seals since I've owned it although I haven't noticed any significant lube loss. So, the basics would be redoing the joints on each axle along with whatever seals and such like. I haven't really cracked the manuals on this yet so I'm really guessing what's involved and how many special tools I'd need, etc. etc..

Any pic's of what your seeing? The axle joints are pretty straight forward to change, the seals are inside the axle tubes at the carrier bearings. If your going to tackle the axle u-joints, that would be the time to change the seals because the axle shafts need to be out to remove the carrier. There is a special socket to remove the wheel bearing nuts, there is also a socket that threads onto the spindle to attach a slide hammer to for spindle removal. It can be done without it.

Axle nut socket is like this one

The spindle tool is like this one
You need a slide hammer to use with it though.

Hmm, I think I have a spindle nut wrench, not sure from where or why, but it looks familiar. What does the innards of the spindle puller look like? I have a slide hammer.......
How intensive a project is it and how long would it take a reasonably experienced mechanic to do it all?

Hmm, I think I have a spindle nut wrench, not sure from where or why, but it looks familiar. What does the innards of the spindle puller look like? I have a slide hammer.......
How intensive a project is it and how long would it take a reasonably experienced mechanic to do it all?
The socket for pulling the spindle is threaded, it threads onto the spindle and the slide hammer threads onto the end of it.
If your comfortable with diff work it will probably take about 6 hours, the hard part is getting the seals in. You either need to drive them in or pull them in place, if you want to pull them in your going to need a long piece of threaded rod and a socket or washer the size of the seal. To drive them in a long piece of rod and a socket or something else the size of the seal and a helper to line it all up and hit the rod. I have done it both ways.

A shop may be able to do it in about 4 hours, a hoist is a beautiful thing.

Get the right size nut wrench as they come in different sizes.

Back