• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Transmission Identification

peachtop

Reaction score
I need help in identifying my transmission. I got it at a junk yard and put it in my 47 Dodge Canopy. The junk yard said it was from a 92 van. It's behind a 340 and I think it's from an external balanced engine. The housing has the hole for the crankshaft trigger wire.
The P/N on the oil pan is PK52118772. The 8 could be a 3, Date code 1465, sequence 4355. I can't find any info on it
If this is from an external balance engine, I have the wrong torque converter in it.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you post a picture i'll tell you what it is. I think it has to be one of 2 possibility's 904 or 727. I don't think the 500-518 series was out yet those are overdrive units

Thanks
Pete

I know it's a 518/46RH because it's already in the truck so I can't take a pic. My question was whether it was from an external or internal balanced engine installation. The only way that I know of is finding where it came from by the part number.

Take the number to your local Chrysler dealer and see if they can run it for you. They use to public them one of the transmission manuals but the one I have only goes to the 1979 model year.

I know. That's all I could find. Obviously nobody bothered to update new info cause everyone was interested in the 727/904 transmissions and nobody wanted to bother with the new overdrives. It's a shame because they are bulletproof just like the 727's if you take care of them and don't use the overdrive gear when you want to blow someone away on the road.

I will update eventually but plan on just exchanging the convertor to match the application.

I haven't rotated the engine yet to see if it has a weight. If it does, I'll grind it off and try to find one that isn't over $600. They aren't cheap. I have the inspection plate off, but I'm changing the rear seal now. When I finish, I'll check for the weight.

Try finding a transmission parts supplier. Most will exchange convertors at a more reasonable cost.

The weight on the converter will sure id it as external balance. That means it was behind a 5.9L. I believe there were some external balance 340's but i think they were rare.
If you do change the converter be sure to get one for lock up function.I have been running a 518 in my 87 for years. The boost in mileage is great.

Good
Pete

The weight on the converter will sure id it as external balance. That means it was behind a 5.9L. I believe there were some external balance 340's but i think they were rare.
If you do change the converter be sure to get one for lock up function.I have been running a 518 in my 87 for years. The boost in mileage is great.

Good
Pete
they made that trans in both lock up and non lock up versions. My son's 90 W250 (3/4 ton 4X4) has the non lockup version. and you can't make a trans a lockup or non lockup version, just by changing the converter, there's more to it than that. Things like the input shaft and valve body (lockup has parts in the VB that the non lockup doesn't)
and the numbers on the side will tell what it was originally in but who knows what it has been in since then? and the converter can easily be swapped, so even if it "was" a 360/external balance version originally a simple converter swap (or carefully grind the weight off without grinding thru converter housing) will make it an "internal balance engine" version. and as far as lockup or not, if the trans has the splines that go all the way to the end of the input shaft, its a non lockup/ if the splines are cut back around an inch, and the end of the input is round without splines it's a lockup version. the non lockup versions of the OD trannys are fairly rare but they do exist.

Hi volaredon, obviously you can't make a lock up out of a non lock up trans. I was assuming that he knew what he had. I have seen guys put in a non lock up converter in a lock up trans mistakenly believing they are stronger.

I have seen guys put in a non lock up converter in a lock up trans mistakenly believing they are stronger.
Can that even be successfully done? I thought they were different spline counts, and then there is the pilot to deal with.

Some companies will make non lockup converters for use with lockup transmissions. The clutch in early lockups were known to go out in heavy duty apps. Have such a converter I an 83 727.

If it is from a 318 magnum it won’t be externally balanced. The LA. 360 would be weighted on the converter. U can easily knock the weight off with a hammer and chisel. The 360 magnum would have the weight on the flexplate if it was a magnum, Ofcourse it would be 1993 and up. Is the motor vibrating. Does the 340 have a cast or steel crank? Lastly what did u use for a flexplate. Kim

If it is from a 318 magnum it won’t be externally balanced. The LA. 360 would be weighted on the converter. U can easily knock the weight off with a hammer and chisel. The 360 magnum would have the weight on the flexplate if it was a magnum, Ofcourse it would be 1993 and up. Is the motor vibrating. Does the 340 have a cast or steel crank? Lastly what did u use for a flexplate. Kim
96 and newer had the weight on the flexplate instead and no more offset converter mounting lug. and the Magnum 360, vs teh LA 360, though both external balance, had differing amounts of externa; balance.

I finally got to look at everything. I do have a non-weighted torque converter. That's a relief cause I didn't want to pull the xmission to replace the converter. What took me so long was I put dropped spindles on the front end. That was a struggle. The disc hit the lower A arm when I got everything together. After some backyard engineering, I finally got everything back together today and started it up. It runs like a top and looks great with the dropped spindles.

Back