• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Tire air pressure sensor

Alleycat

Reaction score
2007 Silverado tire pressure monitor says left front tire low. Checked and it's ok. Sensor probably is bad. So what to do? Where is the sensor.? Is it part of the valve stem, and if so can I replace it?

Yep, part of the valve stem. I had to replace 2 of the 4 in my Avenger. Be prepared for sticker shock, I paid $95 each when I replaced mine.

Wher'd you get them? Rock Auto has some for around $30. Looks like they may be a pita to install and get working.

I went to the shop 2 blocks away. You need to remove the tire remove and replace the whole valve stem, the sensor is inside the tire attached to the stem. Throw the tire back on and balance it and your done.

I you get the parts from rock auto and have them installed, you then need to retrain the truck to recognize there position. Read the owners manual it should tell you how to retrain them without the tool. I use the tool at work all the time when we rotate tires. I would say any tire shop would be able to retrain them for you.

Fill up the air in all the types as per the tire recommended pressure. Release air from each tire one after another one which does not send the correct tire pressure/ out of range message to the car display panel is the one that is faulty. You then refill the tire to correct pressure, mark the wheel with the faulty sensor and get the sensor replaced. You can use service center wallworktruck for example. Most of the time it is the receiver sensor's electric wire which is damaged due to road debris or rock.

Your sensor should be held to your valve stem by a tiny torx screw, on the inside of the wheel. Replacing the valve stem is not mandatory, though a good idea. The sensor has to be programed to the vehicle, and the wheel position. There are ways to put the vehicle in "learn" mode and then going around the vehicle in a specific order letting air out of the tires till the horn beeps then moving to the next wheel. The sensors have basically a watch battery potted in epoxy (can't change just the battery) and last 7 to 10 years. I usually suggest changing all 4 sensors at the same time, if one battery is dead the rest are not far behind. You can save labor if you wait till you need new tires, as your tires will be being removed anyway.

Your sensor was NOT damaged by road derbies, rocks, or anything else that did not destroy your tire.

Sensor replacement usually costs $60 to $100 where I work, depending if you are getting new tires, and which exact sensor type it is. That includes all required programing.

Back