• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

The Rules Have Changed... 20 Years Ago! 1994-2001 Dodge Ram

I know I've already posted this before but it is a good tip for guys working on these trucks.

One of the common problems the 2nd Gens have is the brake lines tend to rust through around the fuel tank area. Long story short the only option that I could find (Including Dodge Parts) was to buy bulk brake line and make my own. Anyway I found a company called Classic Tube (http://classictube.com/) that makes pre bent stainless steel lines for our trucks among many other applications. They even had a kit for my truck equipped with the optional at the time front and rear ABS set up. I ordered the full kit for my Ram and was very impressed by the quality of the lines. They fit extremely well and finish is very nice! Hopefully this will help a fellow Ram owner in need of brake lines…

The Link Again

http://classictube.com/

_H8J1441.jpg

_H8J1441.jpg

Last edited:
Two more tips for the 2nd Gen 4wd guys. As some of you already know these trucks can develop the "death wobble" and loose steering as the steering components wear over time. My Black Dodge even had this problem being such a low mile truck when I got it. While restoring my Ram everything in the front end was rebuilt or replaced with new quality parts. At that time I performed two upgrades that are well with the extra money and will go a long way in preventing the death wobble! First off I replaced the weak factory track bar with a HD adjustable one pictured below. Then I added a front steering gear brace to help relieve some of the stress it carries. This will greatly extend the life of your steering gear box thus preventing the truck from wandering around while driving down the road.

Obviously there are several manufactures out here making these components. Choose the best one that works for you and shop around for the best deals. I ended up buying my HD track bar new on eBay saving almost $100 over what some of the off-road websites had them listed at. Hear is a link to PSC Motorsports... this is who I purchased my steering brace from http://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehic...-dodge-2500-3500-4x4-steering-gear-brace.html

HD Track Bar
163_0804_product_spot_light_02z+rare_parts_inc+dodge_ram_track_bar.jpg
163_0804_product_spot_light_01z+rare_parts_inc+dodge_ram_track_bar.jpg

Steering Gear Brace
ppm-8557-0x-4x4-dodge-steering-box-brace-400_2.jpg

163_0804_product_spot_light_02z+rare_parts_inc+dodge_ram_track_bar.jpg

163_0804_product_spot_light_01z+rare_parts_inc+dodge_ram_track_bar.jpg

ppm-8557-0x-4x4-dodge-steering-box-brace-400_2.jpg

Last edited:
Very good advice "Black Dodge" ! The Steering gear brace as well as a heavier duty stabilizer is on my two-do list for this year for my Sport . Luckily I haven't had any issue "yet" with this one and I've already gone threw this front end . But I did have an issue with my 95 when I had it . I was on the highway cruising along and then suddenly the steering wheel pretty much shook out of my hands . I pulled over , got out and looked at the front end because I thought the tires were falling off or something . That's what it felt like ! Got going again and everything seemed fine until I hit a dip in the road and here we go again . I limped the truck home and jacked it up and everything was tight . I'm like , what the Bleep ! I even took the stabilizer off and it "seemed" to be fine ? I remember thinking , What could be wrong with this thing , Everything in this front end is only maybe three months old ? Everything "but" The stabilizer . Even though it felt like it was fine , I ran down to the parts store and picked up a new heavy duty one . I figured it couldn't hurt at this point . I installed it and took a blast down the highway . No death wobble , YES ! Two day later , I'm out on the highway again and guess what ? I hit a bump and that darn truck pretty much shook it's self right off the road . Got home again , Cleaned out my pants and checked out the truck again . The new bushings that came with the new stabilizer had deteriorated . In two day's ! I took a picture of it before I tore it apart again and went back and swapped it for yet another one . I also contacted the manufacturer and told them what had happened . They couldn't explain it . They even had me send them the picture of what had happened . They were supposed to contact the auto parts store for the return and have it shipped straight to the person I talked to . I never did find out why this had happened . The death wobble can be a scary feeling , For sure !

Yep, the good 'ol death wobble isn't fun bear. My old '95 3500 did the same thing and got that fixed. I actually had a tie rod go bad and dropped out while driving and what a feeling that was when the front wheels want to head in opposite directions and the truck wants to do an endo. Good thing I wasn't far from home and was able to limp it back.

Your lucky you didn't roll it and was still able to limp home !

Last edited:
Don't know much about the stepside conversions but they were called Ramsides. I remember seeing one back at the 1995 Mopar Nationals. Not much info on the web about them either. Best I can tell the beds were made by a company out Texas only for a few years.

1996_orange_dodge_ram_2500_for_sale_in_milwaukee_wi_53216_96635329926422380.jpg

Z1PJ5ZD9Q74WNTBH32.jpg

1996_orange_dodge_ram_2500_for_sale_in_milwaukee_wi_53216_96635329926422380.jpg

Z1PJ5ZD9Q74WNTBH32.jpg

Last edited:
I kinnda like that ! I could see making a newer version of the LiL Red or better yet a Mid Night Express out of one .

Does anyone have pictures or video of 2nd Gen Rams being built on the assembly line?

Picture from allpar.com
manufacturing.jpg

manufacturing.jpg

Last edited:
You know I was trying to find some pictures for you this morning of some assembly line shots and I found that truck you just posted . But I didn't see that one ! Maan ! Talk about having a bad day !

You know I was trying to find some pictures for you this morning of some assembly line shots and I found that truck you just posted . But I didn't see that one ! Maan ! Talk about having a bad day !

Thanks for looking bear! I think it would be cool to see the 2nd Gens being built at the factory! Yea defiantly a bad day for that guy and his Ram!

Looks like this 1 ton owner was really craving Taco Bell! Like they say... If you can't Dodge it Ram it!!!

800px-Dodge_Ram_hits_Taco_Bell.jpg

800px-Dodge_Ram_hits_Taco_Bell.jpg

Looks like the military was considering 2nd Gen Rams at one time...

From DodgeRam.org
http://dodgeram.org/rides/combat_ram/military_ram.html

combata4.jpg

combatb4.jpg

combatt4.jpg

combata6r.jpg

The National Automotive Center (part of the US Army Tank Automotive and Armaments Command) has unveiled the first two "demonstration vehicles" of their Commercially Based Tactical Truck program (COMBATT). These vehicles premiered at the 2000 SAE congress in Detroit. The NAC is testing the viability of beefing up commercial pickup trucks for general cargo and troop carrier use.

The first COMBATT demonstration vehicles are two maximum-performance, off-road pickup trucks. The vehicles used are a modified Ford F350 and a Dodge RAM 2500/3500. Enhancements to bring the trucks up to the new COMBATT standard are:
• Firestone adjustable air-helper springs
• Bilstein variable damping shock absorbers
• extended suspension travel
•Goodyear 37" 12.50R17 MT/R tires
•Hutchenson run flat inserts
• Dana Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS)
• four-wheel ABS and yaw stability management system
• Dana Hydra-Lok differentials
• variable stiffness antiroll bars
•adaptive cruise control
• body and chassis protection
• chassis torsional rigidity
•A 12/24v electrical system
• a black box recorder
• Lockheed Martin Night Vision System with a flat-panel display
• Eaton Vorad Collision Warning System
• a complete suite of electronics for navigation/communication as well as for diagnostics
•A computer/flat panel display to coordinate and control the systems
•an electronically controlled high-horsepower diesel engine.

Tests are being conducted to determine payload, on- and off-road control, braking, ride, cooling, resiliency, grades up to 60-percent, and 40-percent side slopes. Further testing on the vehicles will take place at the Army's Aberdeen Proving Grounds. A decision on whether or not these vehicles will be produced is expected by the end of 2001.

combata4.jpg

combatb4.jpg

combatt4.jpg

combata6r.jpg

Now that military Ram looks and sounds like one tough RAM ! That fits Dodge's new slogan " Guts , Glory , Ram !" !

Here is a cool link for production numbers on the 2nd Gen Dodge Rams. Looks like my V10 is kinda rare :cool2:

Link
http://gtcarlot.com/data/Dodge/Ram+2500/1997/#1542188

1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Specifications

1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Sub Models

Laramie Extended Cab 23.8%
Laramie Extended Cab 4x4 42.9%
Laramie Regular Cab 4x4 4.8%
ST Extended Cab 9.5%
ST Extended Cab 4x4 4.8%
ST Regular Cab 4x4 14.3%

1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Engines

5.9 Liter OHV 12-Valve Cummins Turbo Diesel Inline 6 Cylinder 61.9%