• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

So who plows snow?

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Who plows snow with their Pickup Truck?

What kind of plow rig to you use?

What do you charge? How do you find customers?

Ahh.. its almost that time of year. For my personal use (just my own driveway) I use a 78 Dodge powerwagon sno commander, Ive only gotten this truck stuck once when I was pushing against a 4 foot high pile of snow and the plow rode up over the snow (my fault), that truck was almost unstoppable.
At work we use late 80s early 90s Ford broncos, these trucks are great for doing suburban/city driveways, they have a real good turning radius and decent power even though they aren't really geared that great for pushing snow. We've had pretty good luck with the Fords as far as breakdowns these trucks arn't overly complicated with all kinds of fancy electronics and other than U joints, alternators and exhaust pipes they dont do that bad, but alot has to do with the driver, a 19 yr old kid who doesn't give a sh*t can beat up a brand new truck just as easy as a 15 yr old truck.
Cant help with the business side of the question, I just drive/fix the trucks.

I plow with my Ramcharger . I've been plowing for a looooong time and that's the only truck I would use as a plow truck personaly . I've plowed useing other people's truck's and it just was'nt the same . I've gone thru three feet of snow and nothing stop's me . I use to have my own contract's but I plow for some else now . IMG_0690.jpgIMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

Thank's ! I think this is my seven'th one ( and you can't kill'um ) but my wife said I've had more like eleven . After thirty years , weather she's right or I'm right ? She's still right . lol

I ment to ask . Why did you start this post ? Are you thinking about running a plow truck ?

I know this post is old but im a new member just thought id throw in that i plow snow.I have several commercial accounts and they are all cleared by my dodges.

We have'nt got much up here this year eather "bremereric" . I got a kick out of this years farmers alminac . It said this year was suposed to be record amounts of snow and record low temp's and I'm looking out my window at all the dead grass on my lawn and not even a flake of snow on the ground .

white gold

not any snow to speak of here in mid mo either,need a decent one to help pay for additional eqiupment I bought after blizzard we got last year.

You guy's might want to check out the thread I just posted " Mass plow driver injoy's his job waaaay to much" . lol

Thought I'd throw a couple (lol, the only couple I have) of my old plow trucks. One was a '77 Ramcharger (electric/hydraulic), the other a '79 Snowcommander (mechanical/hydraulic). Both were Meyers. Started with '43 Jeep Willys fixed angle cable lift.
77_89Ramchrgr.gif
79SnowCommand.gif

We had so little snow last year I didn't even fire up the 2 wheel blower, other than to "tune it up."

Once upon a time, in a previous life and century, this old FJ-40 (Mopar V8 power) had a Meyers on the front, and the little Cletrac in front has a Toyota 20R. The winter this was taken "we had snow"

20adv8j.jpg

and the winter THIS was taken, "we had snow"

w6ru40.jpg

Putting the blower on / off the shed roof

']
24xm4k7.jpg

Part of "the fleet" one winter

i4jvbt.jpg

A failed experiment. I built the blower on the back with a separate 10hp, didn't have any power

2nicniu.jpg

the very same beat up old Meyers I bought around 76 for 250 bucks, was on the Landcruiser, here now on the little Farmall

2hppnwm.jpg

The little Toy powered Cletrac was fun. Too bad I don't have the health, room, money........

jv4py8.jpg

16hq2q9.jpg

My Dad built this home-made tractor out of an early road grader. The belly pan, engine proper, and rear tires was 'all we got' delivered by a junkyard wrecker. Dad made the rest. Front end is early Ford (cable brakes) home built hood, tank dash and grille off old car, and home made steering box blade winch.

attachment.jpg

last fall I found a boss V set up from an identical truck as mine. I love it, would not go back to a straight blade.

Back