• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

New to FTO-

YY1

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm new to FTO, but have been on FBBO (almost 5K posts) since 2010 and FABO since 2011.

I have a 2000 Dakota R/T CC that I bought in 2002, and have put over 110,000 miles on (reads 142440).
It's the best, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, and still runs like the day I bought it.

I recently picked up a 1980 D 150 step side.

I bought it because it was a factory 833 O/D truck and someone had previously installed a 1969 440!

I've got several other Mopar projects (66 383 Coronet, 72 400 Charger) and a driver (73 318 Satellite).

My intent is to harvest the motor and trans from the D150, and part out the good stuff, as the cab is fairly well rotten.

In the meantime, I'd like to return it to "yard driver" status, to keep the motor fresh.

Looking forward to discussing both new(er) and old trucks, and maybe making some friends and doing some business.

Let me be the first to welcome you to the site "YY1" ! How about some picture's of your rides ? We LIKE picture's . :becky:

Is that 79 Warlock or Midnight Express in your avatar?

If someone gave me a clean cab and that grille you have, my arm might be twisted to keep the D150.

Thanks , I haven't check the numbers yet to see what it came with . The guy I got it off of , got it without a motor and had a small block kicking around so he put that in it for a short time with a four speed . Then he just recently installed the 440 / 727 in it not to long before I got it . .......... I had a 79 red lifted 4x4 that I just sold the beginning of this year . I loved that truck and I started missing it even before it went on the trailer going to it's new owner . ............... That's a NICE score with the 80 you just picked up . How bad is the cab ? Is it fixable ?

Thanks. I was pretty stoked. I can't believe it sat on CL for almost three months!
Started at $1600, and when it got under 1K, I jumped in.

The cab is pretty well gone.
Dough in all the corners, literally.
Floors shot and glassed, and shot again.
Drip rail is shot and 1/2 inch missing almost entire pass half of front.
Rail? area behind driver door shot, full of dough, rusted through again.

Funny the bed is only surface rusted in a few small places.

I did find a 92 PS pump today for free, so tonight I'll see about getting it back on the road.

I though just occurred to me- If I'm considering a re-cab...maybe a 30's, 40's or 50's cab....

Unless a clean 72-80 cab falls in my lap.

Thanks man. I figured since i have a collection of trucks now...

Did you go to Garlits?

I was in my metallic orange Dakota with a trailer full of 73-74 Charger parts and those LRE stack shields.

Didn't make it out of the swap meet/ car corral areas though.

Anther thing you could consider (If your doors and nose are clean ) is finding a clean 80's cab . There's only a slight difference in the roof line ( above the windshield ) that most people don't notice . You'll have to keep the 80's heater box but the doors , dash , and nose will bolt up . Just a thought .
Thanks. I was pretty stoked. I can't believe it sat on CL for almost three months!
Started at $1600, and when it got under 1K, I jumped in.

The cab is pretty well gone.
Dough in all the corners, literally.
Floors shot and glassed, and shot again.
Drip rail is shot and 1/2 inch missing almost entire pass half of front.
Rail? area behind driver door shot, full of dough, rusted through again.

Funny the bed is only surface rusted in a few small places.

I did find a 92 PS pump today for free, so tonight I'll see about getting it back on the road.

I though just occurred to me- If I'm considering a re-cab...maybe a 30's, 40's or 50's cab....

Unless a clean 72-80 cab falls in my lap.

I actually just noticed that squared off cab difference yesterday!

Both fenders shot. Rust and dents on both. Both doors rusted. Apron under battery tray rusted bad.

Hood is toasted as well.

My favorite 70's grille is the quad, like you have, but my favorite hood is the "bird bath" 78 and down.

bigred car show.jpgSo basically your telling you like this look ?
I actually just noticed that squared off cab difference yesterday!

Both fenders shot. Rust and dents on both. Both doors rusted. Apron under battery tray rusted bad.

Hood is toasted as well.

My favorite 70's grille is the quad, like you have, but my favorite hood is the "bird bath" 78 and down.

bigred car show.jpg

A bit much in the add-on dept for me, but yeah, that grille and that hood.

I can see this truck is going to fight me every step of the way.

I got the steering back together, and the battery that worked fine last week, is 100% dead, and didn't take a charge over night.

Got a back-up battery, and the starter won't spin. Starter worked fine last week.

I'm starting to think it might me cursed/possessed.

That does happen occasionally, and seems more frequent with Chrysler (Anti-Chrysler) products.

I've found that if that's the case, they seem to respond better if you "play into it".

I'm thinking about stenciling either "Possessed", "Re-InCARnation", or possibly just "Spooky" on it somewhere.

Well it is ghostly white . lol ... Are you sure it's the battery and the starter ? Did you check the starter relay and or wires ?

Thanks man. I figured since i have a collection of trucks now...

Did you go to Garlits?

I was in my metallic orange Dakota with a trailer full of 73-74 Charger parts and those LRE stack shields.

Didn't make it out of the swap meet/ car corral areas though.

No did not go this year, the charger was sold in may [guy made my son an offer he could not refuse] it went to a good Mopar home! I'm up to my eyeballs in my 01 ram 4x4, front axle rebuild, evaporator/heater core replacement.

I'm jumping the relay. The key works sometimes...

I thought of a few more names-

Perhaps it knows it will be parted out.

"Dead truck driving"

"Organ donor"...and my fave-

"Sacrificial Ram", which works on a couple different levels.

I got to measure a 1947 cab today.

'47 cab is 3'3" frame width and 6"3 from back of cab to front axle center line.

'80 cab has same distance to axle, but frame is only 3' wide ???

Engine bay is a different story.

Back