• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need help deciding!!!!

Noba

Reaction score
Hey guys, recently realized I need a truck in life, I need something that can tow when I need it to, but also more importantly be used to camping, hunting, fishing, and getting off grid, I plan on lifting it and throwing 37s on it, question is should I go with...

Diesel or Gas

Chevy, dodge, ford, gmc

Avalanche 2500, Ram 1500/2500 (2000-2006) or, F150/250 (2000-2006), gmc 2002-2006

All must be crew cab full 4 doors

I'm not a fan of the headlights of silverados from 2003-2007, so maybe 2002 or a 2008 if I can find one for the right price

I have a 2013 subaru outback fully loaded I will be selling to buy it.

The truck must have black leather interior and a sunroof.

I plan on doing a lot of upgrades to it as well, spacing wheels out 4 inches, brushguard, fender flares, maybe a cap, make the truck look mean and make it off road capable, 6 inch lift 37 inch tires and others

What are my options? And what's the best to go with for my needs?

Forget diesel, for your needs it's not worth the extra cost. The big 3 trucks are all capable for what you need. I prefer Dodge or GM, 5.7 Hemi is a great engine and the GM LS engines are great.With 1500 GM's get the 5.3L. Stick with 1500's, they get better gas mileage then the 2500's and it doesn't sound like you need the extra towing capacity of the 2500.

Your in Phoenix? If you want to go off roading forget full size, forget 4 doors and that big lift kit is only going to get you into trouble. Like you need to see were you are going and there are big drops. Don't end up in the bottom of a valley because you could no see it when you get to the top of a climb. Full sized will limit where you can go. Be prepared for body damage. So forget the fancies. A complete roll cage will be a minimum requirement as will good tires that will resist rock cuts. Thread and side walls need to be bullet proof unless prepared to walk a long way home. Sorry to bust you bobble but off roading begins were the trail ends. If you don't believe me find an off road group and see if they would even consider letting you go with them. And listen to what they tell you. My son has off roaded there for years and the group he goes with would not even consider letting you go with them in what you are describing.

I'm actually going to be moving up to northern wisconsin and be doing a lot of off grid camping hunting and fishing in minnesota and michigan and wisconsin! I should've included that in the post!

The avalanche seems to be the best mix from what I can tell, I can drop the midgate and keep the glass up so I can sleep half in truck half in bed, but a full size truck with a bed cap would do the same, so any input is appreciated!!!! Thanks again!

Makes a big change. No mountains in Wisconsin or triple digit temps. Your choice appears in line. But why not a full sized SUV with fold down or removable seats?

It seems a half ton will tow almost any pull behind camper, and going bigger is only a preference, not a necessity. I could have slept on the back seat of the Ram crew cab I rented a few years back, it had a bunch of room, and I'm 6'3" so I need space. But my dumb ass slept in the front, the steering wheel kept getting in the way.

Back