• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

My Dart Restoration

I tried taking the top off before I went to work tonight, but I only grabbed my Allen wrenches, and low and behold, there was 1 damn regular bolt that was in there. I'll pop it open in the morning and see if they made any modifications per Mopars Engine Book.

Just curious . What Rpm range is that intake rated for Mob ?

Full on racing RPM, the practical kind.:)
Yeah and don't forget , it's for good fuel economy too . lol Seriously I was just looking at your cam and choice of gears and how it's going to mesh with running a tunnel ram . Because that's more of a top end manifold . If I remember right a normal tunnel ram design ( say a weiand ) doesn't start to kick in till around 2500/2700 RPM's . I'm going off the top of my head here so don't quote me on the exact RPM range .

I'm going with the Performer RPM intake to start with. The Weiand will be for a much stouter engine combo down the road. It would fall flat on its face with what I have currently.

I'm going with the Performer RPM intake to start with. The Weiand will be for a much stouter engine combo down the road. It would fall flat on its face with what I have currently.
Thanks Mob , I was trying to think of a nice way to say , just that . Just trying to look out for yah . ;)

Years ago I would have thought anything would work, just slap it on. Glad I know better.

Years ago I would have thought anything would work, just slap it on. Glad I know better.
It's so refreshing to hear someone that knows better . I pull my hair out sometimes trying to explain to some people why there combo doesn't work and they just don't get it . I've got a guy over here with a 440 A Body with crap for compression , an OK cam , and 3:55's in the rear . He's got this big single plain intake on it and this big ass carb and the car is a ( for lack of a better term ) a "dog" . And he can't figure out why the car isn't as fast as it should be . I keep telling him to get rid of that intake and at least try a dual plain as well as a better carb . I even offered to let him try one that I have sitting right here . But all I get for a response is "But I like the way that intake look's on the engine" . Drives me nut's ! And it's a shame to , because it's a dam nice look'in car . It's just set up all wrong .

IQ52 on FABO had a low compression 440 with a .509 cam a Victor intake and a Demon 850 sitting on ported 516 heads that made 588hp and something close in torque. I was going to try that as a base for a cheap engine build. Plenty for me on the street, I want to drive them, says the guy with a racing intake!

I think a lot of it comes with growing up and learning I remember the first motor I built for myself and they were out of stock of the cam I ordered which was probably to big as it was so I got the next one bigger that worked well (not) it was a dog but if you were rolling at 25 and punched it it would blow the tires clean off lol but it's amazing what you can learn from others and there experience I think we all are guilty of doing it wrong but I think we have all learned from that as well

I think a lot of it comes with growing up and learning I remember the first motor I built for myself and they were out of stock of the cam I ordered which was probably to big as it was so I got the next one bigger that worked well (not) it was a dog but if you were rolling at 25 and punched it it would blow the tires clean off lol but it's amazing what you can learn from others and there experience I think we all are guilty of doing it wrong but I think we have all learned from that as well
Very true.

IQ52 on FABO had a low compression 440 with a .509 cam a Victor intake and a Demon 850 sitting on ported 516 heads that made 588hp and something close in torque. I was going to try that as a base for a cheap engine build. Plenty for me on the street, I want to drive them, says the guy with a racing intake!
I think I kind of remember reading that thread a while back . It was good "real world" building . Yah see I read stuff like that it my mind takes it to the next level and I add maybe a "what if" . Like what would it be if you took the next step and punched it out say 30 over and added something like 10 1/2 to 1 pistons ? That's just the way my mind works . :confused: lol

Very well said . We all learn from our mistakes and when we stop learning that's the biggest mistake there is .

So this showed up today:

View attachment 7474

I initially received a big box a week ago, all excited like a little kid on Christmas, only to discover to my horror, thatbinwas sent a Chevy 454 cross ram with dual 4 barrels! Tried calling the seller, who I couldn't get a hold of. He ended up calling me Sunday night and called the shipper to pick it up. I checked tracking every few hours til I saw he got it. The the waiting game, would I get it by Saturda? No, but it came today, I feel better, and I can't wait to mock it up on the engine. Who knows when it will actually get put on the car, but who cares, it's awesome to look at all by itself!

6 pack on a Tunnel-Ram.....now that out to make some HP and some torque, whats that goin' on? Big Block Mopar I take it goin' in a Dart, seen the mentioning of 516 heads, so open chamber heads.......... LOVE to see the engine too :p

516 heads, so open chamber heads
The 516 are small valve closed chamber heads. I got a set with a 66 block and crank years ago - my first 440! I tried selling them and noooooobody wants them at all. Nowadays you can buy a fully ported aluminum head for twice what it would cost for an iron head to equal the aluminum, at the cheapest shop rates Posey. The big Mopar engine builders near me charge waaay too much for my pocketbook.

The intake will be going on a 440, stroked to 500ci, aluminum heads, not sure what cam or compression. It will be a while though.

Scott, I thought the 516's are open chamber heads? The 915's I KNOW are closed chamber heads.....

The Mopar OEM "915" heads are closed chambered.... See:

new-915-heads-jpg.51394

s-l1600.jpg

The Mopar OEM "516" heads ARE open chambered heads....

See:

s-l1600.jpg

Back when I was really into building my 383, I went on a hunt for heads, I wanted to bring the compression up a bit, as its REAL low with those industrial heads, and my Step-Son found a set of big block heads, and I was hoping (at the time they were closed chambered heads and it turns out they're 516's that are open chamber heads)..... To up the compression with a "bolt-on" I need the 915's and those are RARE and sought after for Mopar Big Blocks, BUT I have heard that the 906's flow the best!

IF I had my way to build my 383, I'd LOVE to score a set of the 426 Max-Wedge heads!!!! Those be KILLER on my 383! BIT If I go that route, I'd have to get an intake to fit the B block, AND those special heads (they don't have the same runners the rest do!)

Well shit, I could be wrong. I'm going out to the garage to see what casting number I have. I know I have a set of closed chamber heads, I'll be back in a minute.

And, I was wrong. I have 915 heads out there, along with 2 sets of 452s, a set of 907s?, and a set of 440Source heads.

I haven't looked at the heads for a long time and with all the things I read about engine builds, I got my numbers confused. Thanks for correcting me 67PW!

Trick Flow is coming out with a Max Wedge head pretty soon, the 270. Their 240, regular ports, is quite the beast for the money. Of course, you've probably seen the thread on FABO by now.

Trick Flow 440 heads, The Real Deal?

I might go with these heads when I go with my Indy Max Wege Cross Ram intake. (I've developed an addiction to multiple carbs intakes, especially when they come with carbs and linkage!)

IMAG1908.jpg

Back