• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

My 79 w200 is bogging down when i first give it gas

After all that , I forgot to ask you if you have a dual field alternator and is you truck wired for a dual field ( two skinny wires & the pos. wire ) ? If have a dual field alt. ( more them likely ) and your truck is single field ( one skinny field wire from the reg. ) then ground out the other field stud on the back of the alt. .

After all that , I forgot to ask you if you have a dual field alternator and is you truck wired for a dual field ( two skinny wires & the pos. wire ) ? If have a dual field alt. ( more them likely ) and your truck is single field ( one skinny field wire from the reg. ) then ground out the other field stud on the back of the alt. .
What do you mean? I just have a stock altinator that has the main wire, a small green wire and a small red wire. they both go into the wiring harness and look to go to the coil

Dual field alt, single field was used in the 60's into the early 70's. Someone may have by passed the gauge on the dash to eliminate the weak link.

Yeah cause the black wire that's hooked up on the back of the amp gauge is disconnected and the ran strieght to the starter relay. The red wire is still connected to the amp gauge.

Sounds like the same guy that messed with the wiring on my truck before I got it messed with yours . lol Mine was a fire waiting to happen and charged when it wanted to not when it was supposed too . Is the red wire live ? Does the back of the gauge look like it's burnt at all ? I'd go thru it and wire it correctly myself . On this , something as simple as using the wrong gauge wire mess's with the way it charge's .

The back of the gauge isn't burnt. The big red wire goes the the connection at the battery cable on the starter relay. I believe the other two cables go to the voltage regulator

Half way. The black wire going through is now going straight to the starter relay. The red wire is the only one connected through the bulk head connector that goes to the gauge. I want to bypass them. Could I just splice those two together? To bypass the gauge and bulk head

Back