• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

My $500 Dak

Scoots

Reaction score
Landed this 98 a few months back for 500 because the oil pressure dropped to zero after it warmed hp. Body is almost perfect, interior is also. Was going to r&r with a j/y engine but decided to see if I could find the problem when I got it out. As you can see in the pics the strainer doesnt look at all like its supposed to! Cleaned the strainer, new oil pump and gaskets and she runs like a champ! 65psi cold, 35psi hot.

Now I can start on my street/strip 93!

16173.jpeg

IMG_20180623_152355252_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180722_130044162.jpg

17497.jpeg

17687.jpeg

What was on the strainer? Wonder how that stuff managed to end up just on the strainer. Nice truck just hope that was a long term fix.

What was on the strainer? Wonder how that stuff managed to end up just on the strainer. Nice truck just hope that was a long term fix.
I hate to say it but I think this guy either never did oil changes or used crap oil but he kept the rest of the truck in great shape. Back in my day Quaker State oil would coke up like that, I guess we have wally world oil that may do that in this day and age..?

I'll have another 3.9 that I know is dead nuts reliable once I yank it from the 93 when it gets its V8 so Im not real worried other than the work involved if it goes belly up. Second, Ive mod'ed a 3.9 to the tune of low 8's in the 1/8th pushing up to 150 shot of n2o though it, Im hear to tell you that they are tough as nails. If you have oil pressure and cylinder pressure it will go forever with decent maintenance.

back in the day when Chrysler used nylon on the timing gears, the nylon would break off and block the p/u like that.

Oil is cheap, engines are not. I guess nobody told the PO that. You stole it for $500. It will probably give you trouble in the future so I will come and take it off your hands for $600. LOL

I hate to say it but I think this guy either never did oil changes or used crap oil but he kept the rest of the truck in great shape. Back in my day Quaker State oil would coke up like that, I guess we have wally world oil that may do that in this day and age..?

I'll have another 3.9 that I know is dead nuts reliable once I yank it from the 93 when it gets its V8 so Im not real worried other than the work involved if it goes belly up. Second, Ive mod'ed a 3.9 to the tune of low 8's in the 1/8th pushing up to 150 shot of n2o though it, Im hear to tell you that they are tough as nails. If you have oil pressure and cylinder pressure it will go forever with decent maintenance.
If it wasn't for the crappy computer and its location in an oven our has caused few problems for what we ask of it.

had a bud with a engine that was run on reg oil for years . then he started using some new bread syn oil . all the crap in the motor was cut loose and ended up in the bottom of the pan . and plugged up the strainer from the pump , it was to late for that engine when that idiot light came on .

had a bud with a engine that was run on reg oil for years . then he started using some new bread syn oil . all the crap in the motor was cut loose and ended up in the bottom of the pan . and plugged up the strainer from the pump , it was to late for that engine when that idiot light came on .
Doesnt seem too late for this lil 3.9 to me. We've had over 100 degree heat index's on and off for over 2 weeks now, stop and go traffic with AC on the whole time and still never drops under 35psi on idle and doesnt even hit 190 for water temp. The lil 3.9's are are a way tougher engine then they've been given credit for.

Well I had to cut the 98 loose. Had a random guy come over admiring it while I was looking at an older Ram at a car lot. Asked what Id take and I shot high thinking he would walk.. he came back in 10 min with 1800 cash. Now Im on the hunt for what I really want, a 94 or 95 Xcab 2wd 3.9.

Well I had to cut the 98 loose. Had a random guy come over admiring it while I was looking at an older Ram at a car lot. Asked what Id take and I shot high thinking he would walk.. he came back in 10 min with 1800 cash. Now Im on the hunt for what I really want, a 94 or 95 Xcab 2wd 3.9.
You made out well on that deal

I can across a V8 91 Dakota extended cab for sale today not far from KC if anyone is interested send me a PM

Back